Thread: Anybody using mobile payments with an HTC One and RBC?

Feedback Score

Anybody using mobile payments with an HTC One and RBC?

Hi all,

A few months ago in the timeframe of the upgrade to Lollipop pushed out over the Bell network my HTC One M8 stopped working for mobile payments. Since then it's been a frustrating round of endless and fruitless troubleshooting and failed solutions and RBC, Bell and HTC tech support all shrugging their shoulders and telling me it should be working. After finally biting the bullet yesterday and factory resetting my phone in hopes of solving the issue I am out of ideas except to suspect that the Lollipop upgrade killed the functionality somehow. The point-of-sale machines read the information, they just reject the transaction with 'card not accepted' type errors on both my attached payment cards.

I've googled tech forums with no luck and can't seem to find this specific complaint anywhere else. Is anybody using a Bell Mobility HTC One M8 running Lollipop and successfully making mobile payments with the RBC Wallet app?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I've got a Galaxy S5, and my mobile payments stopped working after my upgrade to 5.0 as well. I went through a lot of trial and error, and then tried just uninstalling and reinstalling the app. That solved it for me. But with your factory reset, it would have done the same thing. How did you get the app back on your device? Did it auto-install from the Play store when you signed in to your Google account? Maybe there's something in the settings that it restored that still has it screwed up.

Try clearing the app cache, the app data and then uninstall the app completely. THEN - go back and reinstall it, log in, set your card(s), and try it again.

I too got ZERO help from RBC on this - they just kept resending me the SIM data... then I decided myself to do the app clear and reinstall and it's worked A1 from that point on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
    I've got a Galaxy S5, and my mobile payments stopped working after my upgrade to 5.0 as well. I went through a lot of trial and error, and then tried just uninstalling and reinstalling the app. That solved it for me. But with your factory reset, it would have done the same thing. How did you get the app back on your device? Did it auto-install from the Play store when you signed in to your Google account? Maybe there's something in the settings that it restored that still has it screwed up.

Try clearing the app cache, the app data and then uninstall the app completely. THEN - go back and reinstall it, log in, set your card(s), and try it again.

I too got ZERO help from RBC on this - they just kept resending me the SIM data... then I decided myself to do the app clear and reinstall and it's worked A1 from that point on.
    Hey thanks can3gxw. It's great to just have confirmation that somebody experienced problems after the upgrade with at least some combination of the same factors. Unfortunately I've tried every troubleshooting step I can conceive of with my limited knowledge of the way mobile payments work. I cleared data and cache and uninstalled and reinstalled the RBC app with and without reboots multiple times in trying to fix this before I got to the point of exasperation and factory resetting the phone. I'm on my second replacement SIM from Bell in trying to address it as well.

When I reset I declined to restore apps and data from my backup and elected to set it up as a new phone, so the newly installed RBC app should have been pristine. I did note though that both of my cards were still there once I logged in, so did find that a bit surprising. Perhaps that information is stored on RBC's end? Regardless, I removed them both and re-added and reconfigured as a precaution. No luck. Cleared data and cache on the RBC app again and uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and had my son log into his RBC account and add his debit card and we tried to use that, with the same result.

This functionality was key in my purchase decision back in October and it is extremely disappointing to have no useful assistance from the parties involved. Both Bell and RBC advertise the mobile payments feature to draw customers and this phone is on their supported list. Ugh.

Feedback Score
    Had problems with RBC mobile payment in the past and nothing helped, until RBC cleared/reset my credentials on their end. If they didn't do that yet worth of trying. Hope it solves your problem.

Feedback Score
    Thanks sanyka78. Do you remember what level of support you were talking to who did that? Was it the first line people or had it been escalated? I'll follow up on that for sure, but would have hoped that my son's login and card would have worked if it was a problem with my account somehow.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Have you called RBC for support on this? I found their Mobile Wallet team pretty helpful when I had to use them. Bell was not, although you could also try Technical Support at Bell.

Here's from the RBC Wallet Page:

The RBC Wallet does not appear to be working for me. What do I do?
    If you are experiencing technical problems with the RBC Wallet please call 1-800-769-2555. They will provide assistance to identify the potential problem.

Feedback Score
    Yes...have tried both routes. Have had open calls with both RBC and Bell since March. Been back and forth with both several times. Their process is very inefficient for difficult troubles. You never get to talk to the level of tech support that can actually actively troubleshoot. They suggest a solution, it is relayed through a second party and I relay the results back to that second party, who then reports to the people who suggested the solution. Rinse and repeat.

Feedback Score
    @metagirl, I am sorry I can't help you but off topic how are things working out with 'the girl you met'?

Feedback Score
    Hah. I'm the girl and I met myself years ago and it's been great ever since. I'm afraid I might dump myself soon though unless I can start impressing me on dates by paying for things with my phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaGirl View Post
    Thanks sanyka78. Do you remember what level of support you were talking to who did that? Was it the first line people or had it been escalated? I'll follow up on that for sure, but would have hoped that my son's login and card would have worked if it was a problem with my account somehow.
    First line people. Started having trouble with mobile payment after I've factory reseted the phone. Couldn't use mobile payment no more, until they've reseted my credentials. I'm guessing RBC app/mobile payment is associated with phone's ID which changes after reseting it. Which would make sense why after adding your son's card it didn't work either, because your phone is associated with your previous credentials and your phone ID at their end.

Feedback Score
    No luck. RBC first and second line support have no idea what I mean by resetting/clearing credentials from their end. Basically told me to stop calling and they'll let me know when and if they have a solution. One new bit of info is that first line support is not even seeing a failed transaction. It either never even gets to the bank or its stopped somewhere early in the process before it can even register as an attempted transaction. I wish I understood much more about the process and the various roles of the hardware, software and OS so I could know who I should be bugging.