Thread: New Band 2 HSPA

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

New Band 2 HSPA

For the first time ever I found my phone connected to band 2. My area (St.Lawrence County NY) has always been band 5 for GSM and UMTS. I wonder if they added band 2 for extra capacity?

I'm around 8 miles from the nearest tower. Would band 2 reach that far?or possibly a new tower nearby?

My Galaxy S5 wouldn't connect to band 2 and the Rugby switched back to band 5 after a few minutes.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DThrillSeek View Post
    For the first time ever I found my phone connected to band 2. My area (St.Lawrence ounty NY) has always been band 5 for GSM and UMTS. I wonder if they added band 2 for extra capacity?

I'm around 8 miles from the nearest tower. Would band 2 reach that far?or possibly a new tower nearby?
    Generally speaking...
    Band 2 is for capacity and to get nearby devices onto the network whether its for HSPA or LTE. In my experience Band 2 can go as far as 7 miles (on GSM), but I doubt with Band 5 and the cell size shrinkage issue on WCDMA that this is common. 2-3 miles with Band 2 on WCDMA/HSPA+ is more realistic (to include cell size shrinkage) depending on terrain and output (or "luck") in rural areas.

Band 5 is for devices which aren't close to the cell site, which would explain why your devices dropped Band 2 for Band 5. At 8 miles you're likely going to be on Band 5 and in the fringe (or unintended) coverage for Band 2.

You may have to go to the cell site and see if Band 2 is activated at the existing Band 5 site.
    But the probability is high that its coming from the same site since the Cell ID (0x)8a37... is the same for both bands.

With the given UARFCN of 412 the HSPA+ channel is occupying space on the PCS A 30 MHz Block.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 06-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Drove out to the tower and still couldn't get band 2 on my GS5. Didn't take the Rugby with me to test that.

That's a lot of bandwidth going to waste considering I never see phones connecting to band 2. To bad they're not using all or some of it for LTE.

The LTE on this tower is only on band 17 and 5x5. Band 2 LTE @ 15x15 on these towers would be awesome! They haven't launched band 4 on the rural towers around here. Only towers in higher populated towns got band 4.
    Last edited by 3DThrillSeek; 06-01-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I ran a screen recorder to monitor service mode on my drive home. I picked up band 2 for a minute on a tower between Ogdensburg and Heuvelton. No band 2 from a tower I drove right by and nothing from my home tower.
    Last edited by 3DThrillSeek; 06-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It could be they will be launching a band 5 lte channel, since band 17 is only 5 mhz. They will probably shift one carrier of hspa band 5 to lte and launch one channel (or more) hspa on band 2.
    In your area they will be going for a balance of coverage and capacity.