Thread: Can you use a google voice number for calls & texts on Wifi w/ an unactivated phone?

Device(s)
    LG Transpyre
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Can you use a google voice number for calls & texts on Wifi w/ an unactivated phone?

Is there? I'm so confused. I just don't get Google Voice. I was trying to set it up for a friend who doesn't have a cell phone at the moment. I was going to give them one of my old androids to set Google Voice up on. I know you can text through hangouts.

I don't really use it, so I really don't know my way around it. I helped choose the Google voice number, but after that my mind draws a blank.
    I Am Perfection
    -Jarrett178

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just tried to make a call on an unactivated Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on wifi and using the Google Voice app. It did not work.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Feedback Score
    I send texts all the time using the Google Voice app from any of my phones whether they are active or not but have not tried to make a call using it.
    I will see if I can later.

I don't use Hangouts.

I can make and receive calls from my laptop using Google Voice.

EDIT :: Just tried making a call from an inactive phone and was not able to call out from the Google Voice app.
    Maybe if I mess around with the settings I might be able to.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Feedback Score
    Google Voice can be confusing because it's so flexible and folks use it in so many different ways. The short answer to your question is yes, a device with no SIM card or a WiFi only device can be used as a phone. It's called voice over internet protocol, VoIP. Google the term and you'll discover there are many reasons for doing it and many ways to do it. To simplify, the process can be broken down into three components: a phone number, a dialer app and a service provider. These functions can be accomplished with an all in one solution or separated individually.

Skype is probably the most popular all in one solution. I've used UppTalk, which is a free alternative. Both assign you a number, use an app interface, and use data (carrier provided or WiFi) instead of cellular.

Google Voice was initially designed to be used a call forwarding tool. Neither GV or the official GV app does VoIP. As the other posters stated. Most GV users use it only for the phone number component. Calls are routed to their cell phones or landlines, they are not using it as a replacement for their carrier.

Google Hangouts can do VoIP. It's the dialer app, and can be used with or without GV. Used in combination, it too is an all in one solution.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I just tried to make a call on an unactivated Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on wifi and using the Google Voice app. It did not work.
    I have 2 phones (LG G2 and ZTE Zmax) that are unactivated; that is to say, have no carrier. I use HangOuts and Groove Ip (for my RingTo Account). No problems whatsoever in my home. I was even talking at length while driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway recently. I use it primarily with my ZTE 915 mobile hotspot. If the 4g LTE signal is good, there are no problems.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    You need to download Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer to make calls over WiFi with your GV number.

It does work. I've done it on my old Galaxy S1 which hasn't had a sim card for 2 years now. I've done it on my Nexus 9 tablet. I could pop the sim out of my N4 and do it.
    Nexus 6 - 64 GB - Midnight Blue
    Nexus 4 - 16 GB - Black
    Nexus 9 - 32 GB - Black
    And my first: Samsung Galaxy Craptivate.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I have 2 phones (LG G2 and ZTE Zmax) that are unactivated; that is to say, have no carrier. I use HangOuts and Groove Ip (for my RingTo Account). No problems whatsoever in my home. I was even talking at length while driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway recently. I use it primarily with my ZTE 915 mobile hotspot. If the 4g LTE signal is good, there are no problems.
    I did not use any extra apps such as those you have mentioned. This was just the Google Voice app and wifi on a phone with no SIM.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The Google Voice app itself does not do VoIP, so you can't make or receive calls with it. You need one of the other apps mentioned. If you use Hangouts and the Hangouts dialer, it integrates with your Google Voice number.