Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98

Thread: Experience with Android

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    453
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have used every Samsung "flagship" since the S2. I could tell you that each device has been horrible for me. The Note series always seemed better, but it drove me nuts on how unpolished everything felt. The S6 and Note 4 are no exceptions. I found the S6 to have the absolute worst battery life of any modern smartphone I have ever used. The Note 4 also lagged out of the box. There was always a noticeable delay when opening apps or pressing the recent apps button. Scrolling, whether or not in a menu or app was almost always jerky and stuttered. There is a SMALL improvement on the S6, but Samsung still has ways to go before they are even halfway to iOS's level.

    The HTC One M8 was probably the best Android smartphone I have ever used. Everything was great on it, except the horrible camera. The M9 seemed to be a slight downgrade to the M8. The screen seemed off, and the speakers weren't as good, and it got really hot. But the software flew and I had no lags. That's how Android should feel with a custom skin on top of it.

    For what its worth, I use an iPhone, but I find many things wrong with that too. iOS 8 is the worst OS Apple has ever put out. Even on the iPhone 6, it crashes, reboots, and lags periodically. I am hoping iOS 9 improves on stability and scrolling, especially for the iPhone 6 plus.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    There are plenty of great android phones out there. Mainly from Samsung and LG these days. But no thanks. I've wasted hours and hours tinkering with them over the years.

    My iPhone's just work well. Whenever I need them to. Not to mention, the integration with my laptop, watch, car infotainment, and tablet is perfect. Can't say the same about Android


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree my iPhone's just work well pretty much without any hitches. Always run smooth and if I experience a lag usually a hard reboot does the trick.

    I'm really attracted to the almost edge to edge screen than the LG G's have. And also the non physical home button. The edge to edge screen rocks for streaming videos and movies. Maybe the iPhone 7 will have edge to edge screen and a non physical home button.

    If the LG G's would be able to have iOS or if the iPhone had edge to edge screen then for me that would be perfect.

    With Android is it the OS or is the OS not compatible with the device. I would assume the Nexus' would be the most compatible with Android.


    via the HoFo App

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Galaxy S6 and LG G4 are the best right now

    If you want pure google, nexus 6 is your best bet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How is pure Google(Nexus 6) better than the S6 and LG G4?


    via the HoFo App

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,019
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marc50267 View Post
    How is pure Google(Nexus 6) better than the S6 and LG G4?


    via the HoFo App
    No carrier installed bloatware? I'm just guessing, 1st inline to get updated? Again, just guessing.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KH6CY View Post
    No carrier installed bloatware? I'm just guessing, 1st inline to get updated? Again, just guessing.
    Since Nexus' are bonafied Google does that mean the OS is better integrated?


    via the HoFo App

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,242
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marc50267 View Post
    Since Nexus' are bonafied Google does that mean the OS is better integrated?


    via the HoFo App
    Meh, not really. It just doesn't have TouchWiz (Sammy) or LG's launcher overlay. However, I much prefer the overlay's by the OEMs myself. They put a lot of nice "touches" into Android to make it better.
    Apple iPhone X

    Verizon LTE B4+B2


    AT&T LTE B2+B17

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,966
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marc50267 View Post
    Since Nexus' are bonafied Google does that mean the OS is better integrated?


    via the HoFo App
    I'm running CyanogenMod on my lg 7 tablet. It's probably more fluid than any android device I've owned except for my note 4. With lg stock firmware, the Web browser and games would crash like crazy running its 1gb of ram to max. With CyanogenMod running on it, ram usage never passes 600 mb. So, I really don't think it's Android, but rather TouchWiz, Sense, etc. That is running "on top" of Android. I would love to see my note 4 run CyanogenMod with S pen features. That'd be epic!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,935
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Had a 3GS and a 4. Switched over to a Nexus, Atrix 2, and now Galaxy S4. I just prefer how Android works.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:


    http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,198
    Feedback Score
    0

    Experience with Android

    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Had a 3GS and a 4. Switched over to a Nexus, Atrix 2, and now Galaxy S4. I just prefer how Android works.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I sort of like how Android works compared to iOS. Can't explain it. After trying number of Android devices the OS seems 'clunky'? I like how Android works compared to iOS BUT I prefer the polish-ness of iOS. For me if Android was as polished as iOS I would most likely totally switch to Android. I use Android for a bit then go back to my iPhone 6 and notice the difference in polish-ness. But I really enjoy the almost edge to edge screen with the LG G's.


    via the HoFo App

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,536
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have total control of my rooted Androids.

    iFruit is a Mother may I OS.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTnT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,170
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've had every single flagship Android you can think of since it's part of what I do for a career. I test them, I play with them, I use them etc.

    I always come back to my iPhone for my day to day use. I travel a lot and love the built in Passbook app that stores my Apple Pay wallet, store rewards cards and all my boarding passes. Perfect for the busy business traveler like I am. Hotspot, FaceTime, iMessage and phone dialer sync perfectly with my Mac, iPad and Apple Watch.

    Since Android is an OS and not a specific phone I hate to generalize all Android devices but I have yet to have one that I'd use as my daily driver over my iPhone. The one that came the closest was the S6 edge. But like every Sammy I've used before it right away I noticed the lag on the dialer and messaging apps, the terrible battery life and the way the phones would overheat. The worst were my S4 and S5. Both of them would randomly do a factory reset at night on their own while I was asleep and because I'd use my smartphone as an alarm clock you better believe I was late to work a few times. Samsung said it was just the phones way of doing some form of memory dump because I used too many apps????

    Apps are another issue for me. I noticed how many apps that were built for both Android and iOS were not built the same. Devs seem to put more effort into iOS apps. Certain apps like Facebook, Beats Music or Instagram would often crash or worse yet completely sign out of themselves on my HTC One M9 and my S6 edge. These apps always stay signed in on my iPhone.

    My favorite Android app is Google Maps. Let's give Google credit here. The performance is generally unmatched and superior on the Android side. I also like how there is more wireless carrier network controls available for Android devices that allow you to force LTE or even force a specific band.

    I still like Android. I was an early adopter of the G1 on T-Mobile back in October of 2008 and like I said I still to this day use every high end flagship device built on the platform. But there is a difference between liking a device and actually using it as a daily business driver.

    To each his own though. I know plenty of people who would rather die then ever use an iPhone. My sister is one of them. She is the only stubborn one in my whole family who insists on breaking the united chain our whole family has as a clan of iPhone users.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,198
    Feedback Score
    0

    Experience with Android

    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    I've had every single flagship Android you can think of since it's part of what I do for a career. I test them, I play with them, I use them etc.

    I always come back to my iPhone for my day to day use. I travel a lot and love the built in Passbook app that stores my Apple Pay wallet, store rewards cards and all my boarding passes. Perfect for the busy business traveler like I am. Hotspot, FaceTime, iMessage and phone dialer sync perfectly with my Mac, iPad and Apple Watch.

    Since Android is an OS and not a specific phone I hate to generalize all Android devices but I have yet to have one that I'd use as my daily driver over my iPhone. The one that came the closest was the S6 edge. But like every Sammy I've used before it right away I noticed the lag on the dialer and messaging apps, the terrible battery life and the way the phones would overheat. The worst were my S4 and S5. Both of them would randomly do a factory reset at night on their own while I was asleep and because I'd use my smartphone as an alarm clock you better believe I was late to work a few times. Samsung said it was just the phones way of doing some form of memory dump because I used too many apps????

    Apps are another issue for me. I noticed how many apps that were built for both Android and iOS were not built the same. Devs seem to put more effort into iOS apps. Certain apps like Facebook, Beats Music or Instagram would often crash or worse yet completely sign out of themselves on my HTC One M9 and my S6 edge. These apps always stay signed in on my iPhone.

    My favorite Android app is Google Maps. Let's give Google credit here. The performance is generally unmatched and superior on the Android side. I also like how there is more wireless carrier network controls available for Android devices that allow you to force LTE or even force a specific band.

    I still like Android. I was an early adopter of the G1 on T-Mobile back in October of 2008 and like I said I still to this day use every high end flagship device built on the platform. But there is a difference between liking a device and actually using it as a daily business driver.

    To each his own though. I know plenty of people who would rather die then ever use an iPhone. My sister is one of them. She is the only stubborn one in my whole family who insists on breaking the united chain our whole family has as a clan of iPhone users.
    Yep my wife is the only one in our family that won't get an iPhone. Me and our 2 sons have iPhones and she insists on not getting one. She recently got an S5 because it was free on a 2 year contract. I at least wanted her to get the S6 but she likes free. She seems to be happy with the S5. She recently came from the Note2.

    One thing you mentioned when it comes to apps that I also notice is how clean and polished iOS apps are compared to Android apps. My thinking is it's because of so many different kinds of Android devices having to be intergrated with the Android OS compared to how the iPhone hardware and iOS is integrated by the same company.

    So the way I see it with iOS it's easy for developers to 'optimize' and integrate iOS apps to make them more polished I do notice this when I play with my wife's S5 and the devices I've been playing around with in the last couple of months. The best way to explain it for me is apps don't look and aren't as 'professional' for the most part with Android compared to iOS.

    Even Google apps seemed more polished on iOS. I will have to test Google maps on the LG G3 that I'm currently testing out and experience what you say about Google maps on Android.





    via the HoFo App

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    79
    Feedback Score
    0
    <I just prefer how Android works. >
    Me too. I've used a Galaxy S2, S3, and a Note 2. Currently have an S4, HTC One M7, and a Moto G. I also like Apple products. I had an iPhone 4 and I use an iPad and a Mac. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro. I just prefer Android on my phones. A little diversity is good.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why do most Google apps seem to be more polished on iOS?


    via the HoFo App

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,939
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    There are at least two reason why other people's opinions are frequently compared to hemorrhoids. One is that they have approximately equal value. The only experience that really matters is your own. I've recently read that Android's strength is in its diversity; that there are so many ways to do the same thing. This is also its weakness, because so much is left to the user to manage. iOS removes a lot of the diversity and imposes more uniformity. It all depends on what you want: messy freedom or an orderly productivity.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. experiences with upgrading to Android 4.4 kitkat
    By evlucy in forum Mobile Phone Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
  3. Looking for secondary Android phone to experiment with
    By xraycat in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 02:59 AM
  4. Anybody have experiences with the Q105?
    By Sazon in forum Samsung
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2002, 09:50 PM
  5. any experiences with the palm m505?
    By hummer in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-09-2001, 03:00 PM

Bookmarks