Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Cellular with Cricket phone?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular with Cricket phone?

Hi,
    I'm using an ATT Lumia 520 Gophone on Consumer Cellular (CC) and it works great. It's locked, but since CC is a ATT MVNO it works.
    I was wondering if anyone out there has tried a Cricket phone on CC? I assume since they are owned by ATT, it will work. Cricket has the new Lumia 640 I'd like to try.
    I used to buy unlocked phones to use on CC, but again, since CC is using ATT network, it makes sense the their phones work on CC without be unlocked.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A Cricket phone is locked to the Cricket network -- it will not work on CC unless it is SIM unlocked. For most phones, you can often buy a SIM unlock code for a few dollars, but Lumia phones sometimes have been more expensive to unlock.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried it? I did read where someone used a Cricket phone on ATT and it worked.
    Just seems that if Cricket and Consumer Cellular are both ATT, it should work.
    And people are buying gophones to replace broken ATT phones that are not yet really for upgrades.
    So just maybe??
    I did contact CC to ask if they would add a Lumia phone to their offerings and they are looking into it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tut123 View Post
    Have you tried it? I did read where someone used a Cricket phone on ATT and it worked.
    And people are buying gophones to replace broken ATT phones that are not yet really for upgrades.
    So just maybe??
    I did contact CC to ask if they would add a Lumia phone to their offerings and they are looking into it.
    A "GoPhone" phone and an "AT&T" phone are one and the same -- that is why people can buy GoPhones to use on AT&T postpaid service. Furthermore, locked AT&T-branded phones can be used on AT&T MVNOs without unlocking. However, it doesn't go the other way (nor can MVNO-locked phones be used on other MVNOs).

If you can find where you read that someone used a LOCKED Cricket phone in AT&T, please post the link -- that would be an interesting discovery.

Feedback Score
    Note that CC will unlocked their phones on day one - just ask, they sell at full retail anyway.

And AT&T has been unlocking theirs very generously, even brand-new subsidized ones.

But a locked Cricket phone requires a third-party SIM unlock code, usually not expensive.

Then it will work on CC.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    If you can find where you read that someone used a LOCKED Cricket phone in AT&T, please post the link -- that would be an interesting discovery.
    That's what I was hoping someone would tell me.

I am not ready to replace my 520 just yet, I only want to know my options, just in case Microsoft decides to dump their phone business or there is a big sale on Lumias. I convinced my wife to try a 520, she said it was the only phone I never complained about.

The 635 is available as a gophone, so I could get that. I will be interested to see how the 640 is sold.
    Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    This link says a cricket phone will work on ATT, it does not state if it's locked.
    But it does not say it has to be unlocked:
    forums.att.com/t5/Other-Phones-Devices/will-my-sim-card-work-in-a-cricket-phone/td-p/4210002
    (won't let me posted a link since I'm a new member.)

P.S. ATT just generously unlocked my 520.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This link says a cricket phone will work on ATT, it does not state if it's locked.
    But it does not say it has to be unlocked:
    forums.att.com/t5/Other-Phones-Devices/will-my-sim-card-work-in-a-cricket-phone/td-p/4210002
    (won't let me posted a link since I'm a new member.)

P.S. ATT just generously unlocked my 520.
    This is indeed an interesting find. If it's true, it will definitely change how people think about the value of a Cricket-branded phone since this is a new development, even since AT&T's acquisition of Leap Wireless.

If I had a locked Cricket phone, I would try out an AT&T SIM, but unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. (If you decide to try it, please report back!)

Thanks for the link!

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Lumina that I got for my wife's service would not work with my H2O SIM. I was able to get an unlock code after a few months of service though.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I just conducted an experiment with a Cricket ZTE Overture 4G LTE that is a warranty replacement. I inserted an AT&T GoPhone SIM and it asked me for an unlock code, so it is still locked to Cricket.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    I just conducted an experiment with a Cricket ZTE Overture 4G LTE that is a warranty replacement. I inserted an AT&T GoPhone SIM and it asked me for an unlock code, so it is still locked to Cricket.
    Was the unlock code for Cricket or GoPhone Sim?
    So an AT&T phone with work on a MVNO, but a MVNO phone will not work on AT&T without being unlocked?
    Which probably says a MVNO to MVNO will not work. Cricket to Consumer Cellular.
    Anyone else try this?

Feedback Score
    So just maybe??
    There is a lot of confusion and misinformation here.

A Cricket phone is locked to Cricket. If it happens to work on an AT&T postpaid or GoPhone account, fine (really?) but that has nothing to do with its ability to work on Consumer Cellular, or any other AT&T MVNOs.

Most Cricket phones will unlock with a cheap code available on eBay so no big deal, you should do that anyway.

Now, any unlocked phone will work on Consumer Cellular, there is absolutely no need to buy any phone from them, no need to ask them to sell any particular phone. They sell only at full retail anyway, and will happily unlock any of their phones for free even on Day Zero if you ask them nicely - they are very nice people and it is a very good customer-friendly company.

Does that help clear things up?

In general you should never buy a device from a phone carrier unless it's a burner, so cheap you don't mind tossing it.

Buy factory-unlocked, rootable and bootloader-unlockable devices if you're spending any serious money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post

A Cricket phone is locked to Cricket, but will work on AT&T postpaid and GoPhone - all three are AT&T corporation.

That has nothing to do with it ability to work on other AT&T MVNOs.

Most Cricket phones will unlock with a cheap code available on eBay so no big deal, you should do that anyway.

Now, any unlocked phone will work on Consumer Cellular, there is absolutely no need to buy any phone from them, no need to ask them to sell any particular phone. They sell only at full retail anyway, and will happily unlock any of their phones for free even on Day Zero if you ask them nicely - they are very nice people and it is a very good customer-friendly company.

You are incorrect....cricket branded will not work on att.... However Att phones WILL work on cricket

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    You are incorrect....cricket branded will not work on att.... However Att phones WILL work on cricket
    I wasn't actually making any such claim, just stating if that was true it isn't relevant to it activating on Consumer. . .

And thanks for clarifying!

Carrier(s)
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score

Related question about CC service and unlocked handsets

Greetings-

Should a Nokia Lumia 635 that is locked to ATT work with a Consumer Cellular SIM? Having an issue helping someone set that up today. I noticed that the CC website has two separate sections w/ conflicting wording regarding whether or not their service requires an unlocked handset. One section states all you need is a GSM phone previously used w/ ATT service. Wouldn't Consumer cellular work on any handset compatible w/ ATT's network, locked or otherwise? Or are some of the ATT MVNOs slightly different w/ this requirement?

Thanks for your advice on this.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post

A Cricket phone is locked to Cricket. If it happens to work on an AT&T postpaid or GoPhone account, fine (really?) but that has nothing to do with its ability to work on Consumer Cellular, or any other AT&T MVNOs.

In general you should never buy a device from a phone carrier unless it's a burner, so cheap you don't mind tossing it.

Buy factory-unlocked, rootable and bootloader-unlockable devices if you're spending any serious money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast