Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marcelo Claure vs. John Legere

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    yep...

I'd rather have the details spelled out properly (i.e. prioritization only comes into picture after 21GB for unlimited T-mobile users, and only for congested areas), versus some hand waving fluff "you might be de-prioritized if you meet certain criteria like having unlimited + ...)
    And it applies only to their truly unlimited users only once they reach 21 GB and it's only limited to the month and to specific congested sites.

T-mobile started deprioritization with the hand-waving fluff.... people weren't happy, t-mobile updated their policies
    They were probably employing similar practices but behind the scenes. The clarity is definitely appreciated though it was probably done in an effort to comply with net neutrality.

Verizon, surprisingly, were quite open about deprioritization for grandfathered unlimited LTE (until FCC forced them to kill the policy). (4.7GB is low for unlimited)

not sure why FCC doesn't have a problem with Sprint/T-mobile's throttling/deprioritization policies, anyone want to chime in?
    It took a while for the FCC to get on AT&T's case about their lack of clarity for throttling. Only time will tell.

Feedback Score
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comme...i_get_back_in/

maybe no one's reporting it because sprint's network is typically slow (5x5 mhz for band 25/26 when there's no 41) and users can't tell the difference between slow data and very slow data.... /s
    Sarcasm aside, that may well be what's been happening. Along with insufficient backhaul.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    What the twitter kirkuffle is/was about:

Marcelo Claure's comments to John Legere about Jump OnDemand aren't wrong http://www.androidcentral.com/marcel...nd-arent-wrong

Will T-Mobile resond?
    Well, the iPhone deal was iPhone-specific. It was spelled out like that from the beginning.

And to be clear, I am no fan of phone leases.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Marcelo Claure vs. John Legere

Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Oh, you mean T-Mobile's plan to gut WiFi where they're willingly going along with Verizon? That is bad, LTE-U and LTE-LAA gut WiFi and make it unusable in a lot of test cases.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=60001105564

Everyone should read this filing by Public Knowledge. Lots of innovation comes from the unlicensed bands and WiFi, like the Republic Wireless and Cablevision mobile plans that extensively use WiFi. The only way LTE-LAA should be kosher is to see the 3GPP and IEEE sit down and come up with a neutral approach that doesn't gut free and open WiFi.

This is all part of T-Mobile's plan to Recarrier, I'm afraid. And if Sprint continues to shoot itself in the foot, T-Mobile will fall more in line with the Duopoly. Remember what John Legere really wants is the Triopoly. He was going to be the CEO of T-Mobile after they ate Sprint, but Chairman Wheeler fortunately thought better of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only place I would see interference maybe is local wireline providers (AT&T or cable) or hotels seeing their capacity reduced, maybe. In that case i would rather see LTE-LAA anyway. Those dipwads charge for their services

Edit: to that end, AT&T and others could do exactly what you are worried about using wifi. They could occupy all the channels in a given area. The only difference is their wifi networks wouldn't work as seamlessly with my phone compared to LTE-LAA.

There's no way an unlicensed LTE site would reach my home and even if it did, like some have said, there is literally 500mhz of spectrum in the 5 gig band. It would probably be short sighted of me to say it would never be a problem but at least in the near term there shouldn't be one.

iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post

The only place I would see interference maybe is local wireline providers (AT&T or cable) or hotels seeing their capacity reduced, maybe. In that case i would rather see LTE-LAA anyway. Those dipwads charge for their services

Edit: to that end, AT&T and others could do exactly what you are worried about using wifi. They could occupy all the channels in a given area. The only difference is their wifi networks wouldn't work as seamlessly with my phone compared to LTE-LAA.

There's no way an unlicensed LTE site would reach my home and even if it did, like some have said, there is literally 500mhz of spectrum in the 5 gig band. It would probably be short sighted of me to say it would never be a problem but at least in the near term there shouldn't be one.

I think LTE-LAA could solve the issue of wifi being a second layer. There there were routers for the home that offered both an LTE-LAA signal for your phone and wifi got everything else, thus solves all my gripes about wifi calling - - from my understanding LTE-LAA devices would have all of the benefits of a current nanocell without the inconvenience... It operates more like a router but is on the same layer as the cell network.

N

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
    Yeah, no.

The clear statement being made in that filing is "The Record Shows that LTE-U Users Could Degrade the Public’s Use of Wi-Fi Unless Robust Coexistence Feature are Added." And we know very well that there are techniques such as "listen-before-talk" (LBT), so your doomsday prophecy related to LTE-U/LAA is unfounded.

Conversely, and to make matters worse, Qualcomm found out that LTE-U "not only plays nice with Wi-Fi, but it also protects Wi-Fi to a greater degree than Wi-Fi protects itself."

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/s...emy/2015-06-30
    Tell that to Harold Feld, the VP of Public Knowledge who wrote the filing. Google and Microsoft among others agree with the Public Knowledge filing.

The issue is that even with Listen Before Talk, the 3GPP sets rules that benefit the major stakeholders in 3GPP standards, companies like Qualcomm, Nokia, Ericsson, Verizon, and Deutsche Telekom. This is trying to develop cooperation between two standards bodies, the 3GPP and IEEE. Unfortunately the 3GPP companies have chosen to take an aggressive tact towards the IEEE companies.

Quoting Qualcomm, which is the most patent trolling company there is in the 3GPP, is like quoting the fox on what is to happen with the hen house.

I mean Qualcomm's patent warfare is the whole reason we had the division between 3GPP and 3GPP2 (Qualcomm CDMA vs. GSMA and 3GPP's implementation of CDMA, UMTS), right?

I realize T-Mobile needs to work in the unlicensed space like other companies but I would prefer a combined process between the 3GPP and IEEE to set Listen Before Talk rules so the WiFi ecosystem is not harmed.

Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Tell that to Harold Feld, the VP of Public Knowledge who wrote the filing. Google and Microsoft among others agree with the Public Knowledge filing.
    I don't have to tell them anything. They clearly already understand the issues and even proposed it in their filing: "Unless Robust Coexistence Feature are Added."

Qualcomm just proved that LTE-U and LAA are not Wi-Fi's enemy. In fact, during that trial, they discovered that Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi's own enemy. And to make matters even better for LTE-U, it also protects Wi-Fi from itself.

So I'm not so sure where the uncertainty lies.

The issue is that even with Listen Before Talk, the 3GPP sets rules that benefit the major stakeholders in 3GPP standards, companies like Qualcomm, Nokia, Ericsson, Verizon, and Deutsche Telekom. This is trying to develop cooperation between two standards bodies, the 3GPP and IEEE. Unfortunately the 3GPP companies have chosen to take an aggressive tact towards the IEEE companies.
    I'm not so sure how this changes the fact that they have mitigated the main issue. Now if there is an underlying agenda/issue that's being masked under this alleged interference issue, then that's disingenuous.

Quoting Qualcomm, which is the most patent trolling company there is in the 3GPP, is like quoting the fox on what is to happen with the hen house.

I mean Qualcomm's patent warfare is the whole reason we had the division between 3GPP and 3GPP2 (Qualcomm CDMA vs. GSMA and 3GPP's implementation of CDMA, UMTS), right?
    That's an odd statement to make.

So one should believe Qualcomm when things work (CDMA2000, etc.) but one shouldn't when it isn't conducive to one's opinion (the horrors of LTE-U, LAA)?

Meanwhile, there's a nice technical response, with facts and figures (read: gathered data from expert testing), which is undeniable no matter who the source.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=60001104452

In fact, figure 9 on page A15 (actual page 41) explicitly depicts near insignificant degradation (SINR/SNIR) of Wi-Fi with an LTE-U interferer versus Wi-Fi with a Wi-Fi interfere. More importantly, as stated by Qualcomm, the Wi-Fi interferer is worse than the LTE-U interferer.

Wi-Fi harms itself:

I realize T-Mobile needs to work in the unlicensed space like other companies but I would prefer a combined process between the 3GPP and IEEE to set Listen Before Talk rules so the WiFi ecosystem is not harmed.

I'm sensing a disconnect in what you're posting versus what I'm posting.

The testing has proven that the Wi-Fi ecosystem is not being harmed at a significant level. So much so that Wi-Fi is harming itself more than LTE-U at any given moment.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Where exactly would this harm be occurring?

Under what circumstances would it even be possible?

The only place the techs would coexist is in public places. Since most Americans have smartphones and most won't go out of their way to connect to public wifi or trust it, LTE-LAA is actually more in the consumers' interest than paid, slower, less reliable and possibly unsecure wifi networks put up by who knows who.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    Where exactly would this harm be occurring?

Under what circumstances would it even be possible?

The only place the techs would coexist is in public places. Since most Americans have smartphones and most won't go out of their way to connect to public wifi or trust it, LTE-LAA is actually more in the consumers' interest than paid, slower, less reliable and possibly unsecure wifi networks put up by who knows who.
    Most of the conflict would be in public places. That's the concern, I see Google moving full steam ahead building a really good WiFi infrastructure as part of ProjectFi. How does that interfere with that?

I don't see congestion getting easier with 5 GHz, I see it getting worse. Free and open Internet not connected to the carriers is essential. I hope other companies go into that space. Even T-Mobile could gain a lot of benefit by increasing public wifi hotspots in conjunction with any LTE-LAA. That would go a long way in separating themselves from what Verizon is doing in this space.

I do disagree that more Americans don't use public WiFi, while the infrastructure could be better in some cases like AT&T, I see companies like Google that are innovating in that space.

Feedback Score
    I'm using wifi out and about more than ever now. Wasn't sure it would take off but it comes in handy especially while ruining my health at mcdonalds. Actually can't eat that stuff anymore, the ones near me taste awful, almost gross.

I do like their wifi though. I'll take two double wifis with cheese.
    Sent from my RM-1018_1006 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    I'm using wifi out and about more than ever now. Wasn't sure it would take off but it comes in handy especially while ruining my health at mcdonalds. Actually can't eat that stuff anymore, the ones near me taste awful, almost gross.

I do like their wifi though. I'll take two double wifis with cheese.
    I love the free Wi-Fi at the library.
    It's quieter and doesn't smell bad and there is plenty of food for your mind available.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Feedback Score
    Yeah the library is much healthier and def safer. My local mcdonalds seems to have quite a few crazies running around.
    Sent from my RM-975_1005 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Marcelo Claure vs. John Legere

Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    One only needs to look at the price of Airfares to see how valid your statement is.
    True. Look at delta and AA buying all the other airlines. Prices are too high.

Jetblue can be cheaper but not all time, plus they dont travel to alot of places in the USA.

Jetblue doesnt go to Atlanta cause delta fought them

My problem with sprint is that they copy tmobile too much. All they do is copy copy copy. Come up with something original. They just made they dont have the customer support that tmobile has.

via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    My problem with sprint is that they copy tmobile too much. All they do is copy copy copy. Come up with something original. They just made they dont have the customer support that tmobile has.

via the HoFo App
    either way

1. T-mobile innovates
    2. Sprint copies / tries to innovate
    3. AT&T has to respond to pressure from the bottom of market (T-mobile/Sprint)
    4. Verizon is forced to respond to AT&T

Circle of life™. consumers benefit... yay!

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6
    Carrier(s)
    VZW•AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    either way

1. T-mobile innovates
    2. Sprint copies / tries to innovate
    3. AT&T has to respond to pressure from the bottom of market (T-mobile/Sprint)
    4. Verizon is forced to respond to AT&T

Circle of life™. consumers benefit... yay!
    T-Mobile copies sprint leasing idea!

via the HoFo App
    VZW•UDP-AT&T•INTL.UDP A

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast