Thread: iPad air has wifi bias toward AT&T, how do I change that?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (me)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPad air has wifi bias toward AT&T, how do I change that?

Spring 2014 iPad Air, NOT jailbroken...

Couple of questions:

1) When I am in the wifi settings tab, for most SSID's there is the option to "forget network", which I use from time to time to manage my public wifi experience. BUT, whenever I am on an AT&T wifi network, that option does not exist. It only gives me a switch to turn off automatic login to AT&T's network. Is there a way I can make this into a plain iPad with no bias toward AT&T? Can I flash a non-AT&T biased firmware?

2) I have old grandfathered unlimited data back from the original iPhone. I freely take that SIM and swap it around from phone to phone (I have Google Nexus phone in addition to my iphone), no problems. BUT if I put that same SIM into my AT&T biased ipad air (see the first question), it does not work. So, is there anything I can do about that? Yet, if I put my wife's T-Mobile sim card into my ipad air, it picks up data perfectly.

Which leads to my final question:

There is clearly something with AT&T and my ipad air. so i'm wondering... if I put my wife's t-mobile sim into my ipad air and then do the update to 8.4, will it install a version of 8.4 firmware that no longer has the AT&T "favoritism"?

-peter

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What happens if you turn off cellular data then see if the "Forget This Network" WiFi switch for AT&T appears. Just guessing, but the carrier bundle that is installed may cause the default to AT&T if available.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (me)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I never have cellular data turned on. Except for one time, when I found out my wife's t-mobile phone Sim WOULD give me cellular data, and that my AT&T Sim would NOT give me cellular data.

I've never heard of the "carrier bundle" although it makes sense. Is. There a way to strip it out? I was thinking if I put my wife's t-mobile Sim in it BEFORE upgrading to 8.4, then maybe it might ditch the hostile control freak att bundle. But that would be a wild guess.

-Peter

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    Spring 2014 iPad Air, NOT jailbroken...

Couple of questions:

1) When I am in the wifi settings tab, for most SSID's there is the option to "forget network", which I use from time to time to manage my public wifi experience. BUT, whenever I am on an AT&T wifi network, that option does not exist. It only gives me a switch to turn off automatic login to AT&T's network. Is there a way I can make this into a plain iPad with no bias toward AT&T? Can I flash a non-AT&T biased firmware?

2) I have old grandfathered unlimited data back from the original iPhone. I freely take that SIM and swap it around from phone to phone (I have Google Nexus phone in addition to my iphone), no problems. BUT if I put that same SIM into my AT&T biased ipad air (see the first question), it does not work. So, is there anything I can do about that? Yet, if I put my wife's T-Mobile sim card into my ipad air, it picks up data perfectly.

Which leads to my final question:

There is clearly something with AT&T and my ipad air. so i'm wondering... if I put my wife's t-mobile sim into my ipad air and then do the update to 8.4, will it install a version of 8.4 firmware that no longer has the AT&T "favoritism"?

-peter
    try resetting your network settings on the ipad.
    i know AT&T cellphones have "automatically connect to AT&T wifi hotspot" option.
    that can be disabled.