Thread: How do "they" do it?

Device(s)
    Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers in NA - ALDI Talk in EU - Telstra or Vodafone in Oz
    Feedback Score

How do "they" do it?

I'm with Rogers PayGo. Rogers ought to take note, not that they would because it would cut into their massive profits.

I'd love to know how "they" do it. By they, I mean ALDI TALK, my pay-as-you-go service when I am overseas in Europe.

For starters, incoming calls and text messages are FREE, as they should be. After all, why should I pay for an incoming call that may be the wrong number or an incoming text message that is SPAM?

And get this, talk about ultra low rates for any calls or texts that I do make or send. I made a 14 minute 20 second call to Canada from Germany and it ran me €1.80 or about $2.60. That works out to €0.12 or about $0.17 per minute....OVERSEAS.

And before heading back this July, I topped up my phone with a €15 (under $22) card that expires on July 17...2017...not next month.

Simply amazing. A company that is not greedy.
    I don't yap/text and drive,
    Alex

2019 to present: Samsung A50
    2014 to 2019: Samsung ATIV-S
    2005 to 2014: Nokia 6100
    2001 to 2005: Motorola T120

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Traveller View Post
    For starters, incoming calls and text messages are FREE, as they should be. After all, why should I pay for an incoming call that may be the wrong number or an incoming text message that is SPAM
    I'll agree with the incoming texts (though I didn't think Rogers charged for incoming for very long, that was mostly Telus), but come one, you answer the phone that was your own choice.

Most countries AFAIK that have the free incoming calls on mobile also means the caller pays more. I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the way it works here now. I don't want to be trying to figure out if the number I'm going to dial is a landline or mobile. Not that it matters here anyway, because who really has limited minutes these days.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    A lot of that is due to carriers in the EU being better regulated, i.e. not being charged incoming calls. More aggressive competition in other countries also helps.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
    I'll agree with the incoming texts (though I didn't think Rogers charged for incoming for very long), but come on, you answer the phone that was your own choice.
    Rogers has been charging for incoming texts for as long as I have been with them on PayGo which is well over 10 years.

And I don't have a choice when it comes to incoming texts...you don't need to answer the phone to get those.

Most countries AFAIK that have the free incoming calls on mobile also means the caller pays more.
    They do? How about 17 cents a minute for outgoing calls. I am paying three times that with Rogers. And that also got me overseas calls.

We're talking pay-as-you-go service. I don't live on my phone.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget the population density in Europe is much higher than it is in Canada. Also their landmass is much less so fewer towers server many more people.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Carrier(s)
    Fido, So-net, China Mobile HK,B-Mobile(Japan)
    Feedback Score
    They do? How about 17 cents a minute for outgoing calls. I am paying three times that with Rogers. And that also got me overseas calls.

We're talking pay-as-you-go service. I don't live on my phone.
    ALDI is a MVNO. Rogers is not a MVNO. You need to compare ALDI with 7-11 or Petro Canada Mobile.

Countries with "free" incoming calls on mobiles, callers pay a premium rate (LD essentially, with dedicated prefix) to call a mobile phone.

See "YAK", a discount LD carrier, to call Germany land line 5.75 cents/min , 33.35 cents if calling a German mobile number. The "free" incoming call is paid for by the caller.

Device(s)
    Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ESTO View Post
    ALDI is a MVNO. Rogers is not a MVNO. You need to compare ALDI with 7-11 or Petro Canada Mobile.
    OK, lets compare ALDI to Petro Canada Mobile, which looks a lot like it is Rogers supplying the service.

Long distance anywhere in Canada or the US is 25 cents per minute on top of the local calling rate...and the local calling rate is 25 cents for a total of 50 cents per minute. And that is just for calls in Canada and the US. That is 3 times the ALDI rate.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    OK, lets compare ALDI to Petro Canada Mobile, which looks a lot like it is Rogers supplying the service.

Long distance anywhere in Canada or the US is 25 cents per minute on top of the local calling rate...and the local calling rate is 25 cents for a total of 50 cents per minute. And that is just for calls in Canada and the US. That is 3 times the ALDI rate.
    You completely ignore the population density point fruvous mentioned.

I'm not one to defend Rogers and I do agree that they're expensive, but it's been known since the beginning of time basically that if you're a PAYG customer you're going to pay more on a per anything basis. Yes yes, I know ALDI is PAYG as well, but there are many factors to consider. Just one thing to consider is how much Rogers paid (likely OVERpaid) for their 700Mhz spectrum a while back. How much has the network operator ALDI runs on spent investing in their infrastructure?

Again, I know Rogers is expensive, but I feel you're comparing apples to oranges.

Device(s)
    Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You completely ignore the population density point fruvous mentioned.
    Not really. Towers are where people are. Do you think you have cell phone coverage in the middle of nowhere? It may be a big country, but cell phone coverage is sparse.

Hell, I remember a couple of years ago when an outsider was going to set-up here and Rogers et al were defending themselves saving how the newcomer would only set up in urban areas. Do you think I had Rogers coverage in Gander Newfoundland while I was on a job there? Nope, so they are one to talk.

I feel you're comparing apples to oranges.
    Not at all.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score

How do "they" do it?

Not at all.
    You don't seem to want any explanations, so.. Rogers is charging as much as they can for maximum profits. Why wouldn't they?
    Last edited by xero9; 07-21-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Quote error

Device(s)
    Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Rogers is charging as much as they can for maximum profits.
    Not for long. I'm going to use up my balance and look else where.

By the way, rates over there aren't low due to competition. They were lowered because they were ordered to. That is the difference between our government that caters to business and theirs.