Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern MI T-Mobile buildout has begun!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
    "Voice/mms" will be carried over LTE (L700).

I would assume non-L700 phones would roam on AT&T.
    This.

I couldn't get pictures tonight because the tower crew didn't leave until it was dark. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the update! As someone who has a cabin in northern Michigan, I'm very much anxious for some T-Mobile coverage!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    This.

I couldn't get pictures tonight because the tower crew didn't leave until it was dark. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Why don't you just ask the tower crew which network they're actually installing? In my experience, they're usually really nice and don't mind chatting. In meantime you can't know for certain this is a T-Mobile expansion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It wouldn't make sense for T-Mobile to just do 700MHz only with so many devices left out of that loop, if it can eliminate roaming even with coverage gaps, I'm sure they'd do it.. especially if they are already renting the space.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would assume non-L700 phones would roam on AT&T.
    I'd be careful about making that assumption. I don't know of a lot of cases that would support it. T-Mobile tends to curtail AT&T roaming if they have any service anywhere nearby.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ah yes, you were the one with the northern Michigan coverage issues in that wonderful thread.
    I wouldn't say issues as much as disappointed it hasn't been expanded at all.
    The other phone hotspot did its job for the little I was online and playing music. Inconvenient? Yes.
    The biggest annoyance was being unable to send or receive mms or use google maps.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA (2003-present)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I suspect they will indeed launch with just L700 and provide concurrent AT&T roaming for incompatible devices. What I'm curious about is how the network will handle devices with band 12 support but no VoLTE. There is no CSFB between networks!

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by skytrack View Post
    Why don't you just ask the tower crew which network they're actually installing? In my experience, they're usually really nice and don't mind chatting. In meantime you can't know for certain this is a T-Mobile expansion.
    I would have, but it was a crew of two and both of them were far enough up the tower that I couldn't really hear anything over the fans running in the AT&T equipment shelter.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jwagger View Post
    I wouldn't say issues as much as disappointed it hasn't been expanded at all.
    The other phone hotspot did its job for the little I was online and playing music. Inconvenient? Yes.
    The biggest annoyance was being unable to send or receive mms or use google maps.
    I assume you are referring to AT&T up north? I agree 100%. Their network absolutely sucked over 4th of July weekend! I was standing a couple hundred yards from their site in Lewiston and couldn't use data or send any picture messages. They have all that 1900 spectrum up in NE MI and they aren't using any of it for UMTS, HSPA+, or LTE. Hopefully, T-Mobile will get it done! I would find it funny to see T-Mo finish their buildout in northern MI before AT&T.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post
    It wouldn't make sense for T-Mobile to just do 700MHz only with so many devices left out of that loop, if it can eliminate roaming even with coverage gaps, I'm sure they'd do it.. especially if they are already renting the space.
    Actually it wouldn't make sense for them to install PCS too. The point of covering rural areas with 700 is that you can space the towers further apart. If you put PCS service on those same towers, somebody driving through that area is going to have a horrible coverage experience as they keep picking up and dropping service. It's far better to give them no service which will force them to get a band 12 device if they want coverage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I assume you are referring to AT&T up north? I agree 100%. Their network absolutely sucked over 4th of July weekend! I was standing a couple hundred yards from their site in Lewiston and couldn't use data or send any picture messages. They have all that 1900 spectrum up in NE MI and they aren't using any of it for UMTS, HSPA+, or LTE. Hopefully, T-Mobile will get it done! I would find it funny to see T-Mo finish their buildout in northern MI before AT&T.
    I don't think it was the ATT network. The att phone I was using as a hotspot worked fine. While roaming it said "4G" but speed was putrid. It would not pull up Google Maps. Tried to send a picture and it wouldn't. Tried to download a picture and it wouldn't. Would just sit there and think and say cant download, try again. Tried to send the MMS through the hot spot and it wouldn't work. That is why I said I was frustrated enough to make the switch when I got home.
    Guess I am kind of waiting to see if there is any more spotting of work being done up there before jumping. I wasn't necessarily looking for it on this trip, but certainly didn't notice any work being done.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Actually it wouldn't make sense for them to install PCS too. The point of covering rural areas with 700 is that you can space the towers further apart. If you put PCS service on those same towers, somebody driving through that area is going to have a horrible coverage experience as they keep picking up and dropping service. It's far better to give them no service which will force them to get a band 12 device if they want coverage.
    Exactly. Even Verizon is deploying a decent amount of Band 13-only tower is rural California markets as they expand...they want to encourage people to upgrade devices, not add on extraneous costs to support outdated equipment.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimp2006 View Post
    I suspect they will indeed launch with just L700 and provide concurrent AT&T roaming for incompatible devices. What I'm curious about is how the network will handle devices with band 12 support but no VoLTE. There is no CSFB between networks!

via the HoFo App
    wifi calling works as long as data is available.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not really true. T-Mobile only has enough B12 spectrum for a statewide 5x5 LTE carrier. If they use the same equipment as AT&T for a second LTE carrier on B2, T-Mo will have added capacity and a very usable LTE signal 8-10 miles out from the site, depending on terrain of course which kills even 700. AT&T has several sites in the Thumb running B2 LTE and their signal carriers much further than a UMTS/HSPA carrier on 1900.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It will be interesting to see what they actually do. I'm not entirely sure how much PCS & AWS spectrum T-Mobile has in N. Mich. If they only have the 6x6 700A license, they probably won't be setting up many stores or running targeted advertising of their service in the local area.

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 52 ... LastLast