Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern MI T-Mobile buildout has begun!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For those that wanted proof that it actually is T-Mobile.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    I think you are confused. If the towers are spaced for 850 (which is Band 5) then deploying Band 2 (1900MHz) would be a disaster. It would be endless islands of service surrounded by dead zones.

If you are trying to say that LTE on B2 has comparable reach to Band 5 HSPA....then, no. LTE airlink is more fragile.
    Lol. I am not confused here and I am not saying B2 LTE has the reach of 850 HSPA. I am stating that if T-Mobile uses the same equipment that AT&T is using for their B2 LTE , along with the correct engineering for a rural deployment, coverage will be very good around northern Michigan. If they use the same equipment as they currently have on their sites or use the similar junk that Sprint uses, than yes coverage will be poor with "Islands" of coverage and dead spots. I have personally seen on 2 of my devices how far AT&T's B2 LTE on a 5 MHz carrier propagates. You have a good signal with a usable data connection out to around 10 miles or so, or until you are booted off for a closer non-LTE site. Again, I base my statement on actual network usage with multiple devices. Now, I am not talking about a wideband carrier here(15x15) I am talking about a 5 or 10 MHz carrier that is engineered(like AT&T's network)to propagate further in rural environment, rather than in an urban area.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The whole point of buying band 12 spectrum for rural coverage is so you can space the sites farther apart. If they were going to build towers for band 2 spacing, they wouldn't have needed to pay one penny for band 12 as they have nationwide AWS and PCS spectrum.

They can now cover rural areas with a fraction of sites they would have needed previously. And of course they "could" deploy multiple bands. But if they did deploy it on sites that are spaced for band 12, then coverage on band 2 would just be junk. Because a person would lose coverage after he left the towers band 2 reach and wouldn't get service again until reaching the next tower's band 2 coverage ring. Imagine trying to make a phone call in that situation?

So the best thing to do is to go band 12 only. If someone wants coverage, then they upgrade to a band 12 device.
    I agree about upgrading to a new device. Now, T-Mobile will not be "building" sites, but rather collocating on existing ones. Perhaps they may build a few, but not likely in the near future. A large percentage of towers up north were owned by AT&T and Verizon. Recently, both Big Red and Blue sold tower assets to American Tower and Crown Castle which means it is now more affordable for T-mobile to expand coverage into areas where they don't have to pay higher $$ for leasing tower space from competitors. With American Tower, SBA, Crown Castle, and other independently owned sites spread out nicely across northern MI, T-Mobile has the opportunity to have a decent and a more dense network than you might expect.

With the amount of users out there with non B12 devices, I just don't see them deploying B12 only. I guess we will see shortly.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nelagster View Post
    Thanks for the update! As someone who has a cabin in northern Michigan, I'm very much anxious for some T-Mobile coverage!
    I wonder if they'll hit the UP (eg. Sault Ste.Marie, Drummond Island). Now that they have a decent roaming package in Canada, I don't need Drummond Island much (used to pick up AT&T from St. Joseph's Island many moons ago - was actually labelled Dobson Cell One)
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Found another brand new T-Mobile site. This one 3 miles south of Rogers City along US-23.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA (2003-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    Found another brand new T-Mobile site. This one 3 miles south of Rogers City along US-23.

These basically prove that the sites are L700 only. Super exciting, nonetheless!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wow. Its actually happening. Can't wait to see how much coverage TMo builds out by the end of the year.

Feedback Score
    Awesome for sure. Would just love to know what other sites are being worked on and eta on being turned on.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwagger View Post
    Awesome for sure. Would just love to know what other sites are being worked on and eta on being turned on.
    Northern Michigan? I'd say the ETA is before Sept 1st.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Northern Michigan? I'd say the ETA is before Sept 1st.
    Yeah well they had better get a move on it then.
    Funny thing is, so few people that go north have tmobile, and of those few, even fewer would be on hofo reporting. Guess I am trying to say there could possibly be a live site somewhere.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwagger View Post
    Yeah well they had better get a move on it then.
    Funny thing is, so few people that go north have tmobile, and of those few, even fewer would be on hofo reporting. Guess I am trying to say there could possibly be a live site somewhere.
    I've been looking at Sensorly and CellMapper but as of yesterday, there's no change. Imagine how few T-Mobile customers go up there, then what percentage of them have a band-12 phone and are running a signal mapping program?

Of course, the antennas pictured on the ground won't be transmitting. Also doubt that the sites without an electric meter will be in operation.

Feedback Score
    I've been looking at Sensorly and CellMapper but as of yesterday, there's no change. Imagine how few T-Mobile customers go up there, then what percentage of them have a band-12 phone and are running a signal mapping program?
    Well count me as one! I'm new to these forums but I hangout in r/tmobile quite a bit. We have a cabin close to Hale, Michigan that we go to throughout the summer and my wife has a Nexus 6. Trust me I'll be mapping Sensorly the second I see LTE up here.

Also I think there's more T-Mobile customers up north than you think, at least in the summer. Lots and lots of people have cabins on lakes and they drive up from Detroit or another big city in the summer. Just my opinion though

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9, LG G Pad F 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nelagster View Post
    Well count me as one! I'm new to these forums but I hangout in r/tmobile quite a bit. We have a cabin close to Hale, Michigan that we go to throughout the summer and my wife has a Nexus 6. Trust me I'll be mapping Sensorly the second I see LTE up here.

Also I think there's more T-Mobile customers up north than you think, at least in the summer. Lots and lots of people have cabins on lakes and they drive up from Detroit or another big city in the summer. Just my opinion though
    I go up at least once a month year round, especially in the winter. I'll be mapping.

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Of course, the antennas pictured on the ground won't be transmitting. Also doubt that the sites without an electric meter will be in operation.
    They wouldn't turn them on yet. They would install a group of them (15-20) and then switch them on at once. That's how they've been doing it in other markets. Those sites still need backhaul.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    They wouldn't turn them on yet. They would install a group of them (15-20) and then switch them on at once. That's how they've been doing it in other markets. Those sites still need backhaul.
    They do that in markets with Ch.51 concurrent operations agreements like NYC. I don't think a similar approach is needed in Michigan. I think they'll fire them up as soon as the backhaul becomes available.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast