Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1079

Thread: Northern MI T-Mobile buildout has begun!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    When you were on band 71 in Kennebunk, ME were you able to perform a speed test?

If so, what Ping (latency), Jitter, and DL/UL speeds did you experience?
    I don't remember if I did a speed test or not and I don't seem have a record of it in my results so probably not.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I've forced my phone a few weeks ago to Band 71 in SoCal, and I had 25Mbps and ~20ms. Much of B71 isn't in really use.
    Ok, so looks like SoCal band 71 is good.

What do you mean by "Much of B71 isn't in really use."?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, so looks like SoCal band 71 is good.

What do you mean by "Much of B71 isn't in really use."?
    I'm guessing he meant that only a part of the Band 71 spectrum/territory T-Mobile "won" has yet to be exploited by towers (and customers)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm guessing he meant that only a part of the Band 71 spectrum/territory T-Mobile "won" has yet to be exploited by towers (and customers)
    Pretty much. There are probably more than 1,000 cell sites in SoCal, and probably about 50-75 have band 71.
    In my area, there are 3 sites, about 5 miles apart from each other, only one that is urban, 2 others on the highway... and that's out of more than 30 sites. Capacity here is 10x10MHz
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is it the entire state experiencing high pings on band 71? Same on other bands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    Is it the entire state experiencing high pings on band 71? Same on other bands?

I would say yes, band 71 in all of Wisconsin and UP Michigan.

That's the strange thing, it IS NOT a problem on other bands (see my previous post, #1035) even on the same cell tower!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

That's the strange thing, it IS NOT a problem on other bands (see my previous post, #1035) even on the same cell tower!
    I didn't have that issue when I was in Kinross, MI on B71 (with CA, mind you). I hit 74.3Mbps going north and 55ms ping. On the return, I hit 92.2Mbps 133ms ping.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here at Pit Spitters Park in Traverse City, MI, Verizon is snoozing at an unusable 0.5 Mbps, and T-Mobile is sauntering as at a brisk pace of 7.0 Mbps.

I'm just glad I can use my T-Mobile phone as a hotspot so I can get a data connection to post this message on my Verizon phone.

PLAY BALL!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Here at Pit Spitters Park in Traverse City, MI, Verizon is snoozing at an unusable 0.5 Mbps, and T-Mobile is sauntering as at a brisk pace of 7.0 Mbps.

I'm just glad I can use my T-Mobile phone as a hotspot so I can get a data connection to post this message on my Verizon phone.

PLAY BALL!
    I suspect that a lot of northern MI is typically AT&T or Verizon, and can get congested in some places. Many rural places that I've been to where T-Mobile has site, and a decent amount of spectrum, its performance is typically quite good. Eg. Nederland, CO. I was hitting 150Mbps there on B2 15x15 and B12 5x5. Probably the only person in town using T-Mobile.
    T-Mobile is at that tipping point... not enough 'great' rural coverage to get a lot of locals, and they won't expand much because they ROI isn't there... yet. Tourists will live with the hot/cold service because... they're typically passing through. Local business people/contractors, etc. typically want what they know works when and where they need it... Some may take the plunge if its worth it to them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thanks. I’ll send this internally to someone I know and have them send it to the team there. Hopefully it’s improved in a week or two.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I havent noticed high pings or slow speeds in northern lower, but definitely when I went to Munising last year when they first started deploying it up there. Pings were good in Trout Lake when I tested back in July.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I havent noticed high pings or slow speeds in northern lower, but definitely when I went to Munising last year when they first started deploying it up there. Pings were good in Trout Lake when I tested back in July.
    Trout Lake, MI and Kinross, MI are in a different market (eastern 3rd of UP) than the rest of the UP. T-Mobile built out band 12 in this market a few years ago now.

The ping problems are on band 71 in the western two thirds of the UP and north central/northeast Wisconsin.

Northwest Wisconsin is a different market as well, where T-Mobile built out band 12 a few years ago too...

Hman

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Trout Lake, MI and Kinross, MI are in a different market (eastern 3rd of UP) than the rest of the UP. T-Mobile built out band 12 in this market a few years ago now.

The ping problems are on band 71 in the western two thirds of the UP and north central/northeast Wisconsin.

Northwest Wisconsin is a different market as well, where T-Mobile built out band 12 a few years ago too...

Hman
    Ok - that's a little different. My response was to the initial 'I would say yes, band 71 in all of Wisconsin and UP Michigan.' I do suspect that service is different west of McMillan / Sault Ste. Marie State Forest. (places west of Luce/Mackinac Counties)

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Ok - that's a little different. My response was to the initial 'I would say yes, band 71 in all of Wisconsin and UP Michigan.' I do suspect that service is different west of McMillan / Sault Ste. Marie State Forest. (places west of Luce/Mackinac Counties)

I was not aware T-Mobile has deployed band 71 in areas (eastern third UP, NW Wisconsin) where they previously deployed band 12.

Looking at Mint Mobile's website though, that appears to be the case...

I stand corrected...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was not aware T-Mobile has deployed band 71 in areas (eastern third UP, NW Wisconsin) where they previously deployed band 12.

Looking at Mint Mobile's website though, that appears to be the case...

I stand corrected...
    I don't think its everywhere in the eastern UP, eg. Sault Ste. Marie itself didn't have band 71 when I was there in June, however, Kinross did.
    Also, what is that network backhaul in these areas. One can imagine that some areas like Kinross might have access to fiber or backhaul to Sault / St. Ignace. Once you get west of I-75 far enough, I suspect that much of these areas might have some form of mesh microwave or even.. satellite (gack) backhaul. I ran into a similar issue in California's central valley, where congestion was poor, even with full signal having +500ms ping and a ton of spectrum - band 4,2,12,71. Most network designs outside of cities are either a bus or hub/spoke design, I would imagine.

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast