Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern MI T-Mobile buildout has begun!

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Northern MI T-Mobile buildout has begun!

I just noticed an American Tower site that I frequently drive past every day has new panels up this morning. Previously, AT&T was the only provider on the site (at the very top). Now there is a new provider, T-Mobile! Currently, there is 1 panel per sector with a big RRU for each antenna. The antennas appear to be 700Mhz. The tower climbers were still doing work on the antennas, so maybe they'll install more by the end of the day. But from what I've read, T-Mobile plans on launching LTE-only sites in MI without any fallback.

This site is located in northeast Michigan - 6 miles west of Rogers City. I would call this a very rural cell site (i.e.: more cows than people).

I'll try to get pictures later this evening once the tower crew leaves.

If anyone is curious, SAC Wireless is doing the site work.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    This is excellent news, looking forward to the pictures.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's awesome. I wonder if/when tmobile will update their coverage map. I wonder how long it'll be before anything is turned on. I regularly go out to East Tawas, MI maybe it will get there too eventually.

If it's just LTE only, would voice/mms just go through AT&T roaming presumably?

iPhone 6S - Verizon Band 4+ Band 13 CA

Chicago, Illinois

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grifster98 View Post
    That's awesome. I wonder if/when tmobile will update their coverage map. I wonder how long it'll be before anything is turned on. I regularly go out to East Tawas, MI maybe it will get there too eventually.

Verizon does this supposedly in Alaska where the LTE is Verizon and CDMA is roaming.

Of course H+/GSM devices/Int'l roamers on T-Mobile are out of luck, maybe T-Mobile increases roaming data in Northern MI for those devices...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    I just noticed an American Tower site that I frequently drive past every day has new panels up this morning. Previously, AT&T was the only provider on the site (at the very top). Now there is a new provider, T-Mobile! Currently, there is 1 panel per sector with a big RRU for each antenna. The antennas appear to be 700Mhz. The tower climbers were still doing work on the antennas, so maybe they'll install more by the end of the day. But from what I've read, T-Mobile plans on launching LTE-only sites in MI without any fallback.

This site is located in northeast Michigan - 6 miles west of Rogers City. I would call this a very rural cell site (i.e.: more cows than people).

What about AWS or PCS LTE for the majority of the people that don't have new band 12 phones?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Feedback Score
    VZW overlays band 4 on every site in the towns while AT&T does the same on band 2/4. I could see non B12 coverage via band 2/4 in Traverse, Manistee, Cadillac, Petoskey, Gaylord and the Mackinac Bridge area (including the island) on T-Mobile with AT&T voice/text.

Sprint on the west side of Northern MI uses 800 mhz B26 LTE/ 1xA with PCS LTE overlay (B25), no 2500 Mhz in the towns, little coverage at all on the east side.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9, LG G Pad F 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I may be in Oscoda next weekend. I'll look for signs of Band 12 life. Also will check Petoskey/Cheboygan area later in August. I have seen towers throughout the area with open antenna mounts. Maybe a sign of upcoming activity?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has filed documents to lease Verizon's 10x10 AWS-1 spectrum across all of northern lower MI. In turn, it appears T-Mo will be leasing their 5x5 chunk of AWS-1 out to Verizon. As per Spectrum Dashboard.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    But from what I've read, T-Mobile plans on launching LTE-only sites in MI without any fallback.
    Where did you read this?

Feedback Score

That's very close to the tip of Michigan and indeed provides proof of their plans to natively expand in the state. It actually seems it would coincide with the little splash of magenta on the EOY 2015 map. The very small and oblong isolated "dot."

open image in a new tab to see a higher res. version

Nice find!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, LG Leon LTE, Xiaomi Note 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    T-Mobile has filed documents to lease Verizon's 10x10 AWS-1 spectrum across all of northern lower MI. In turn, it appears T-Mo will be leasing their 5x5 chunk of AWS-1 out to Verizon. As per Spectrum Dashboard.
    Where is this 5x5 chunk? I'm pretty sure Verizon isn't going to have 5MHz less than before in the same place, right?

sent from my iPhone
    Jeffw16

Blog

1. T-Mobile Band 4 LTE at UTD, 2. T-Mobile Band 12 LTE, 3. TWC 100Mbps

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw16 View Post
    Where is this 5x5 chunk? I'm pretty sure Verizon isn't going to have 5MHz less than before in the same place, right?

sent from my iPhone
    Go on the Spectrum Dashboard and check it out. These are a few documents showing pending applications of spectrum leases in Grand Traverse County, Michigan. The leases vary in each county but Verizon is offloading 20 MHz (10x10) and a 10 MHz (5x5) licenses to T-Mobile in this county. Verizon appears to be leasing out their 20 MHz (10x10)B4 in all counties in northern lower Michigan. Cellcom, a partner of Verizon does still own 5x5 AWS in many counties which aren't showing a pending lease.

Attachment 128698 Attachment 128699

20 MHz AWS-1 (10x10) Grand Traverse County, MI

Attachment 128700 Attachment 128701

10 MHz AWS-1 (5x5) Grand Traverse County, MI

Feedback Score
    Hopefully they have been working on it all summer in other places and not just starting there. Maybe itll be like a christmas tree lighting when they start flipping. I hope so. I was ready to switch tomorrow after my experience up there this week. Now I see this...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwagger View Post
    Hopefully they have been working on it all summer in other places and not just starting there. Maybe itll be like a christmas tree lighting when they start flipping. I hope so. I was ready to switch tomorrow after my experience up there this week. Now I see this...
    Ah yes, you were the one with the northern Michigan coverage issues in that wonderful thread.

Feedback Score
    "Voice/mms" will be carried over LTE (L700).

I would assume non-L700 phones would roam on AT&T.

Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast