Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint in US airports: Swing & A Miss

Feedback Score

Sprint in US airports: Swing & A Miss

Simply amazing how little bang-for-the-buck Sprint got out of the billions of dollars spent on "Network Vision"...if I was a shareholder, I'd be getting out the pitchforks & torches. Dead-last again:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150722/...ort-study-tag2

Feedback Score
    Ironically, Sprint has better "coverage" at airports outside the US than inside with their International Roaming. That's probably why the did that Boingo deal, which still doesn't cover every airport.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Woah. Didn't win at a single airport. If their network team wasn't incompetent they could win the majority of these airports with the insane amount of spectrum they own. Time to start building small cells and DAS deployments at these airports (not much else they can do, they own too little 800MHz spectrum so it would collapse under full capacity and 2.5GHz/1900MHz has poor range/penetration, which is important at most airports).
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Airports are tricky to work at with all those security clearance one need to do infrastructure work especially with regards to DAS system
    setups and electrical/wiring stuff.

Doesn't help that not many DAS systems that are deployed supports band 41 either.

Improvements needed for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    Simply amazing how little bang-for-the-buck Sprint got out of the billions of dollars spent on "Network Vision"...if I was a shareholder, I'd be getting out the pitchforks & torches. Dead-last again:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150722/...ort-study-tag2
    No wonder Sprint stocks closed at 52-week low today, July 23rd at $3.67.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Woah. Didn't win at a single airport. If their network team wasn't incompetent they could win the majority of these airports with the insane amount of spectrum they own. Time to start building small cells and DAS deployments at these airports (not much else they can do, they own too little 800MHz spectrum so it would collapse under full capacity and 2.5GHz/1900MHz has poor range/penetration, which is important at most airports).
    It's mind blowing, how incompetent Sprint has been for over a DECADE. T-Mobile once sucked, but after the AT&T deal fell through and they got a little money to play with (and a CEO who actually knows what he's doing) they turned the industry on its end.

For those hoping that Softbank becoming the owner of Sprint would change anything, it really hasn't. Son is a boring windbag who talks about 500 year visions and the new CEO of Sprint is a chubby dolt. Just having access to more money doesn't seem to be doing any good for Sprint (so far).

They really are an inept bunch at Sprint.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    At least Sprint did better than T-Mobile at LAX.
    I wouldn't look at the entire report, but mainly look at the individual airports you use the most. Where Sprint falls with the scoring at airports you use the most, because there's a very good chance you will be using your smartphone to (quickly) check in, to pull up your boarding pass or pass time before the boarding starts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Airports are tricky to work at with all those security clearance one need to do infrastructure work especially with regards to DAS system
    setups and electrical/wiring stuff.
    Sounds like an excuse to me

All the other carriers were able to quickly upgrade infrastructure in airports. Why can't Sprint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I wouldn't look at the entire report, but mainly look at the individual airports you use the most. Where Sprint falls with the scoring at airports you use the most, because there's a very good chance you will be using your smartphone to (quickly) check in, to pull up your boarding pass or pass time before the boarding starts.
    Really, ignore the entire data set and focus on one data point? Comparing Sprint to T-Mo at one airport is really grasping at straws. First of all, if you were comparing Sprint to the #1 overall (Verizon), that would be one thing, but comparing Sprint to the #3 carrier (T-Mo) is fairly pathetic. Who cares about horses #3 & #4 in a four-horse race? Nobody, that's who. Not to mention, I've been through LAX many times, and Sprint's coverage inside LAX is spotty at best. Spouse's work-issued VZ iPhone routinely gets pressed into service when our personal Sprint phones fail us, which is most of the time. The reason Sprint is again ranked dead-last, is because the entire outfit, from top to bottom and left to right, is not competent. Their poor network performance for the past many, many years, the loss of 15 million Nextel customers, the writedown of $29 billion in shareholder value, the expensive, disastrous, embarrassing fizzle called "Network Vision"...it ALL points to fundamental incompetence for the organization as a whole. What the FCC, Justice Department & SEC should do is allow T-Mo to take over Sprint, so the network resources could be deployed for the benefit of US wireless customers, rather than leave all that spectrum effectively wasted due to S's fundamental incompetence.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I wouldn't look at the entire report, but mainly look at the individual airports you use the most.
    Yeah the two I use are John Wayne (Orange County) and LAX and Sprint had good results at OC. In my experience coverage at both is very decent.
    Sprint user since 1997

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Sounds like an excuse to me

All the other carriers were able to quickly upgrade infrastructure in airports. Why can't Sprint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They spent more money and time and had the fortune that they have a lot more FDD lte spectrum. Sprint placed DAS last as a priority and as such DAS vendors did not get TDD LTE capable DAS systems into the market until starting last year and thus are limited to band 25/26 5 mhz carriers.

Hell even the super bowl DAS didn't even have b41. Sucks but it is what it is until sprint ponies up the cash to modify the DAS systems for band 41. Project management was never a great point for sprint so compound that with airport restrictions and... Yeah. Fun stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When is this going to end? Why are we continuing to look at OMGZ!!! TOP SPEEDZ!!!

You want consistency in a cellular network and the ability to use it whenever you pick your device up. I know rootmetrics attempts to normalize data/text/calls and how fluid all of it is, but do any of us really notice/care if a Tmo and ATT phone are only pulling 15mbps down vs. a VZW phone pulling 45mbps? Nope, I surely don't. I have been on a plane once in I'd say the past 15 years to hit up Hawaii (otherwise I drive as it's much cheaper and most of my travel is to surrounding states so the time savings is minimal). I don't care about airport performance and unless you work there, you aren't inherently going to be using the network for any extended amount of time there.

Yes, I know business travelers and blah blah - I worked at a hotel and am very aware that's some people's lifestyle/work. It's not the norm and the majority of people maybe travel by plane once or twice a year. Why don't they do stadium standards instead? That'd show us how these companies truly deal with large crowds in small areas. Most international airports are literally miles long and don't have 45k of people in one small spot and while many would use their phone in an airport, phones get pulled out a lot at a sports game to tweet the terrible picture you took of the tiny player on the field.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    They spent more money and time and had the fortune that they have a lot more FDD lte spectrum. Sprint placed DAS last as a priority and as such DAS vendors did not get TDD LTE capable DAS systems into the market until starting last year and thus are limited to band 25/26 5 mhz carriers.

Hell even the super bowl DAS didn't even have b41. Sucks but it is what it is until sprint ponies up the cash to modify the DAS systems for band 41. Project management was never a great point for sprint so compound that with airport restrictions and... Yeah. Fun stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    What about the 30 MHz of PCS spectrum (Band II) they own and still use for CDMA?

So no, Sprint is not limited to Bands 25 and 26. Sprint is actually limiting themselves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    It's mind blowing, how incompetent Sprint has been for over a DECADE. T-Mobile once sucked, but after the AT&T deal fell through and they got a little money to play with (and a CEO who actually knows what he's doing) they turned the industry on its end.

For those hoping that Softbank becoming the owner of Sprint would change anything, it really hasn't. Son is a boring windbag who talks about 500 year visions and the new CEO of Sprint is a chubby dolt. Just having access to more money doesn't seem to be doing any good for Sprint (so far).

They really are an inept bunch at Sprint.
    There is zero evidence that T-Mobile USA received the $3 billion from AT&T. If anything, it's more likely that DT took the money back to Germany to write down their debt. After all, the idea behind selling T-Mobile USA to AT&T for $39 billion was to pay off their $40 billion in debt in Europe.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
    What about the 30 MHz of PCS spectrum (Band II) they own and still use for CDMA?

So no, Sprint is not limited to Bands 25 and 26. Sprint is actually limiting themselves.
    FYI band 25 includes the pcs a-f blocks. Sprint is not deploying band 2.

Also only a select few markets have the requisite 30 mhz of pcs a-f spectrum. The vast majority of markets do not and most are limited to 20 MHz total. Where they have 30 mhz they are refarming it market wide for a second band 25 carrier.

I too criticise sprints decision to not refarm pcs quicker but that's another story.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast