Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Promo!

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score

Promo!

Well this was unexpected.

Mobilicity today posted a Back to School promo, the $45 all-in for $40.

6GB data
    Canada-wide talk
    Canada/US long distance
    Global SMS
    MMS
    30 min N.A. voice roaming monthly
    Calling features include forwarding
    Voicemail included

New activations only, pre-authorized payment.

http://mobilicity.ca/promotions/back...l-40-promotion

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Been a while a thread was created here. Still a good deal for those who did not jump on this plan when it was $30.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    What was also unexpected, at least by me, is if you look at the coverage map link at the bottom of the web site, there is the home zone coverage, roaming on Rogers coverage and EXPANSION coverage areas!

Looks like Rogers is going to keep and expand the Mobilicity network. Ottawa south and into QC, Toronto along the shore to Hamilton, Edmonton to St Albert and Sherwood Park and Vancouver filling the gap from White Rock North. Calgary has no expansion indicated.

Obviously Mobi will have no bandwidth of its own considering it gets transferred to Wind by the end of the year. Therefore Mobi customers will be on Rogers network. Does that mean new SIMs or can an existing SIM be used?

Just curious. I am on Wind and dislike Rogers, from past experiences with them. So how many brands does Rogers need?

Via HoFo App on an iPhone 5S
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid mini
    Carrier(s)
    Rogerlicity
    Feedback Score
    If its just the data your after the $25 starter plan with the $10 internet add on will be cheaper

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    What was also unexpected, at least by me, is if you look at the coverage map link at the bottom of the web site, there is the home zone coverage, roaming on Rogers coverage and EXPANSION coverage areas!
    I can't speak for all areas, but the expansion zone around Toronto has been like that even before Rogers bought them. Take a look at this:

Name:  mobicoverage.png
Views: 1120
Size:  133.0 KB

It should be noted that this is from a link on Mobile Syrup's website outlining their 2013 "expansion"

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
    I can't speak for all areas, but the expansion zone around Toronto has been like that even before Rogers bought them. Take a look at this:

Name:  mobicoverage.png
Views: 1120
Size:  133.0 KB

It should be noted that this is from a link on Mobile Syrup's website outlining their 2013 "expansion"
    If that is a link to Mobilicity, it might be to the current map. If that is a screen capture from 2013 then I can see that it is the same. I never bothered to capture anybodies coverage maps at any time, so no clue.

I might have buried in my stuff some brochures picked up at carriers locations showing their coverage but unless the brochure was dated I would have no clue as to dating it.

And of course no guarantee that they will expand into those areas, or when.

I guess we'll have to wait longer to see what Rogers will do with Mobi. Could be one way to get a limited subset of customers, put them on a certain bandwidth allotment and mess with Bellus and Wind.

I haven't looked yet to see what the roaming rates are now. I'm sure they'll remain high as otherwise Wind would want the lower rate too. Don't know the roaming rate charges for Videotron or Eastlink.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, coming post-sale this bodes well for brand and plan longevity.

--
    "Offer valid [only] while customer is on automatic monthly payments"
    - promo ToS

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    I guess we'll have to wait longer to see what Rogers will do with Mobi. Could be one way to get a limited subset of customers, put them on a certain bandwidth allotment and mess with Bellus and Wind.
    The Rogers purchase was a brilliant coup against Telus. Maintaining the high-value, prepaid alternative of Mobilicity, now financially secured, presents an ongoing and potent counter against Koodo and WIND in five major cities. Marketed carefully it will have appeal to a large demographic those two target without undercutting the Rogers customer base.

The Rogers acquisition of Mobilicity undoubtedly dampened Videotron's interest in national expansion.

Carrier(s)
    ChatR (formerly Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    I think it's a reprint of an old map. I've successfully streamed radio programs through their so-called expansion areas in Vancouver for well over a year. Specifically the East-West Connector in Richmond and the 99 Hwy down to the Peace Arch border crossing.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Nice to see them taking their promo pricing seriously for a change. Too many "loss leaders" in the past.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    The expansion area around GTA was there for a LONG time

Interesting that Mobi is first carrier with a BTS promo
    Others have been eerily silent

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Not only is this strange ... this is bizarre. Rogers now has Fido, Chatr and Mobi - what will they do with all these brands?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Not only is this strange ... this is bizarre. Rogers now has Fido, Chatr and Mobi - what will they do with all these brands?
    Add cityfone to the list please. It is all part of the illusion that there is competition. Sadly, it works well as many still don't know who runs these sub brands.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    Add cityfone to the list please. It is all part of the illusion that there is competition. Sadly, it works well as many still don't know who runs these sub brands.
    Goes for so long until some bean counter figures out the costs for maintaining a number of brands. Ergo, Future Shop no longer exists as Best Buy bought them years ago and finally shut down stores that were too close together. The stupid thing with them was after BB bought FS, they opened or moved a number of stores to be closer together instead of slowly positioning them to be farther apart.

I can see the strategy as each brand can separate out customers into categories of price and/or technology.

GM has how many brands, including partial ownership in some non-North American companies? I can't remember the Italian parent company that owns a dozen or more eye glass and optician companies. They control the optical industry and have raised prices over the last while.

So Rogers having multiple brands isn't something new. We'll just have to wait to see the differences between each brand as they get it together.

Feedback Score
    Strange things afoot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast