Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Inside SoftBank’s Struggle to Turn Around Sprint

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trupatriot1 View Post
    What just blows me away is how they don't want to spend the money to fix Sprint. Everyone knows they need more coverage. Absolutely everyone. But they're trying to do everything besides add coverage.

Add the damn sites, fix the coverage, and then customers will come.

But this 3+ year build of Network Vision, followed by another "18-24" months is just letting the problem languish.

And the cost to fix it is minimal - especially with vendors willing to finance a chunk of the equipment. Softbank already got a bargain on Sprint due to its status as broken.
    I absolutely hate that Sprint has a campaign to add towers... To add coverage it is something you should do day in and day out. It scares me that they are calling it a project.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Fix Sprint?! How come? Many die hard Sprint fans have been trying to convince us for a while now that Sprint is doing just fine, and the amazing network is right around the corner, Situation Normal All F'd Up

Which one is it?!
    I've been a Sprint customer for over 13 years and I feel like an idiot. The service today in Orange County is the worst it has ever been. I am begging sprint not to touch or upgrade their towers because every time they do my precious LTE area not only drops LTE but loses signal altogether. I think Sprint installed defective equipment, they don't know how to tune the equipment they have, and are getting rid of better located clear towers instead of getting rid of their own tower which is down the block but behind buildings.

Also, there is only about two buildings I've been in that actually maintain LTE signal indoors because their towers are so far from the downtown hubs. News flash, 800 won't fix everything you want it to fix.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseftor View Post
    I absolutely hate that Sprint has a campaign to add towers... To add coverage it is something you should do day in and day out. It scares me that they are calling it a project.
    It is what Sprint seems to do, into of continual work on the network, they wait until it is broken, then try and fix it.

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseftor View Post
    I've been a Sprint customer for over 13 years and I feel like an idiot. The service today in Orange County is the worst it has ever been. I am begging sprint not to touch or upgrade their towers because every time they do my precious LTE area not only drops LTE but loses signal altogether. I think Sprint installed defective equipment, they don't know how to tune the equipment they have, and are getting rid of better located clear towers instead of getting rid of their own tower which is down the block but behind buildings.

Also, there is only about two buildings I've been in that actually maintain LTE signal indoors because their towers are so far from the downtown hubs. News flash, 800 won't fix everything you want it to fix.
    Leave. Take tmobile or whatevers ETF buyouts.

Everyone has to do what they need to do and should be showing no loyalty to companies that only strive to profit off them. Go for whoever provides the best bang for the buck. In your case, and according to independent network testing by 3rd parties, it's obviously not sprint so why bother.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trupatriot1 View Post
    What just blows me away is how they don't want to spend the money to fix Sprint. Everyone knows they need more coverage. Absolutely everyone. But they're trying to do everything besides add coverage.

Add the damn sites, fix the coverage, and then customers will come.

But this 3+ year build of Network Vision, followed by another "18-24" months is just letting the problem languish.

And the cost to fix it is minimal - especially with vendors willing to finance a chunk of the equipment. Softbank already got a bargain on Sprint due to its status as broken.
    Indeed, they need to get the network right, and the customers WILL come. That has been shown time & time again by the competition, but Sprint keeps taking their eye off the ball and fiddling around with all kinds of marketing tricks to try to draw in customers. But because their networks just are not able to support the customer experience, they keep falling down again & again & again.

So everyone has their thoughts on how to deploy the best network to utilize all of the spectrum assets Sprint currently owns, but so far no one has answered the million-dollar question: Given that Sprint totally failed on "Network Vision", why does anyone out there expect that they will be able to build a good network now? WHAT HAS CHANGED WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION THAT MAKES ANYONE THINK THEY CAN EVER GET THEIR NETWORK RIGHT?

Sprint's history for the past 15+ years is one of serial failures. They totally blew Nextel (15,000,000 high-value customers vaporized, along with $29,000,000,000 in shareholder value). They totally blew Clearwire. They totally, TOTALLY blew "Network Vision". They've had three CEOs and two "owners" during that time. So somewhere buried under the steaming pile that is called Sprint, is a nuclear core of incompetence or idiocy that overwhelms all of the good intentions and all of the massive spectrum resources Sprint owns. Until someone can identify how & why "Network Vision" was such a massive failure, and either fix that part of Sprint or find a way to go completely around it, the current effort to fix the network will just be "Network Vision II".

Before anything can truly be fixed, someone with the knowledge & authority needs to get to that nuclear core and rip & replace it. Oh, and change the name.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Leave. Take tmobile or whatevers ETF buyouts.

Everyone has to do what they need to do and should be showing no loyalty to companies that only strive to profit off them. Go for whoever provides the best bang for the buck. In your case, and according to independent network testing by 3rd parties, it's obviously not sprint so why bother.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Why do Sprint and TMobile die hards always have this elitist attitude? Leave? It's never as simple as that.

It's pretty damn hard to just get up and leave Sprint, especially when the vast majority of their devices couldn't be unlocked until very recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Feedback Score
    Sounds like quite a few battered wives that I've met. Of course it isn't easy, yes it will cost you money and pain. But once you are free you will realize it's all been worth it, and you can start your life all over again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Sounds like quite a few battered wives that I've met. Of course it isn't easy, yes it will cost you money and pain. But once you are free you will realize it's all been worth it, and you can start your life all over again.
    Oh man. Thanks for the laughs this morning my friend!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Why do Sprint and TMobile die hards always have this elitist attitude? Leave? It's never as simple as that.

It's pretty damn hard to just get up and leave Sprint, especially when the vast majority of their devices couldn't be unlocked until very recently.

Even AT&T and Verizon offer generous trade ins and bill credits these days. It is far different than the old CDMA vs. GSM days where Sprint customers tended to churn to Verizon and T-Mobile customers tended to churn to AT&T.

It's really a different world, yet lots of people act like it's the same.

Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint stock soared 5.36% today on another small investment by Softbank of $73 million. That's $160 million in the last two weeks.
    Last edited by offthegrid; 08-19-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Sprint stock soared 5.36% today on another small investment by Softbank of $73 million. That's $160 million in the last two weeks.

http://goo.gl/EEKNMr

link was broken
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    Indeed, they need to get the network right, and the customers WILL come. That has been shown time & time again by the competition, but Sprint keeps taking their eye off the ball and fiddling around with all kinds of marketing tricks to try to draw in customers. But because their networks just are not able to support the customer experience, they keep falling down again & again & again.

So everyone has their thoughts on how to deploy the best network to utilize all of the spectrum assets Sprint currently owns, but so far no one has answered the million-dollar question: Given that Sprint totally failed on "Network Vision", why does anyone out there expect that they will be able to build a good network now? WHAT HAS CHANGED WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION THAT MAKES ANYONE THINK THEY CAN EVER GET THEIR NETWORK RIGHT?

Sprint's history for the past 15+ years is one of serial failures. They totally blew Nextel (15,000,000 high-value customers vaporized, along with $29,000,000,000 in shareholder value). They totally blew Clearwire. They totally, TOTALLY blew "Network Vision". They've had three CEOs and two "owners" during that time. So somewhere buried under the steaming pile that is called Sprint, is a nuclear core of incompetence or idiocy that overwhelms all of the good intentions and all of the massive spectrum resources Sprint owns. Until someone can identify how & why "Network Vision" was such a massive failure, and either fix that part of Sprint or find a way to go completely around it, the current effort to fix the network will just be "Network Vision II".

Before anything can truly be fixed, someone with the knowledge & authority needs to get to that nuclear core and rip & replace it. Oh, and change the name.
    To be fair, while the speed and execution of Network Vision could easily be called a failure, it was still work that had to be done. Getting fiber backhaul to those towers had to be done. And once it is done, it's good, at least for a long while. Now they have to get Band 41 on the vast majority of their sites and they shouldn't have to wait months for backhaul to hook that service up. So hopefully it can go faster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    Let's not get too crazy about the state of things. Sprint is far better than T-Mobile in Indiana and throughout the Midwest.
    Even if that was true, that makes them better everywhere?

They will pull through in the end.
    They will?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    And also drove home a lesson; don't EVER base your carrier decision on promises and "what's around the corner". The closest I'd get to that now is a hard deadline set for a certain date maybe just a month or two away at worst.

via the HoFo App
    That should be applied to any product one intends on purchasing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4