Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: I think Sprint may be going up for sale during the 2016 government auction

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC / Philly / PIT
    Posts
    4,432
    Device(s)
    Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't think Sprint needs to rebrand just yet.... Finnish the Network FIRST, then so serious on Marketing, I mean they need to match or exceed T-MO levels and it needs to resonate. If S still can't come back after that, then Rebrand, but I think Sprint name is still salvageable at this point.

    Masa, BUY F'ing USCC already...... If he dying to buy something. Don't give me that BS about the Carlson family doesn't want to sell... They want to sell, but they want their price met. There's NO Growth left in USCC, its just treading water at this point. It's footprint fits perfectly into Sprint's, it wouldn't nearly be the disaster merger that Nextel was, plus a lot of the ground work is already in place. USCC is releasing B25 phones. Sprint is now releasing all phones with B2/4/5/12/25/26/41 which cover all of the RRPP networks, so there's no massive upgrade in consumer equipment needed.

    Get USCC, and C-Spire off the table.... Their Infrastructure works perfectly with Sprint right now.... Not to mention T-MO at this point won't be able to make a play for them. V and T are pretty much stuck on the sidelines while Obama is in the WhiteHouse, but they sure are ready to get back into the Game the minute he leaves and a Repub takes the seat.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,305
    Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think part of what needs to be known at this point is exactly what was Mr. Son's true plans with Sprint. If he was trying to cater to the international business market, Sprint may have been a good investment since international travelers will not drive from city to city in the U.S. It almost seems like he was trying to do what Google is doing with Project Fi, except maybe with lower rates and LTE service in various countries. If so, trying to make a deal with DT would make since it would have given him a partner in the European market.

    Trying to follow the Verizon and AT&T business model has failed, especially since Sprint gets blown out of the water when it comes to the amount of native coverage they offer. Sprint has made efforts to be innovative wit the whole Framily and slash your bill in half promotions, but these have sometimes have had strange clauses and people have paid more than they thought they would and have left Sprint very unhappy. Sprint needs to be honest about how much coverage they really have and honest about who they are targeting as customers. Then they need to make it easy for people to join them and give them reasons to stay with Sprint. Sprint's philosophy was it didn't matter who left them while they upgraded their network, because they figured people would come flocking back to them later. This hasn't happened and it's showing. If brands like Cricket and Metro PCS can be given new life, so can Sprint. Hopefully for everyone, they will get a new life so we can have more competition, not less.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree about Sprint buying US Cellular. Their coverage would be greatly extended in NH. I can't wait.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    If sprint had to sell and tmobile decided to buy their pcs spectrum, would sprints pcs spectrum help tmobile? I know sprint owns pcs G blocks and its a superset of band 2. Would tmobile be able to just use the A through F blocks out of the G block?

    I wonder if tmobile would be allowed to gobble sprint. I know att and verizon cant.

    It would be so funny if john became sprints ceo and fired the current sprint ceo.


    via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    419
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I feel like the only person who doesn't want USCC to be sold. They run a solid network in rural areas and the roaming business is a smart one to be in.

    If Sprint were to buy USCC then it would mean risking bringing down USCC with them if they fail. That would be a real shame if that happened since USCC is the only option for many people.

    I'm glad the Carlson's aren't selling.
    Personal bests:

    Sprint // $70 Unlimited + iPhone Forever
    Apple iPhone 6s (Sprint)


    [Formerly] Verizon Wireless // More Everything™ 10GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW) | Motorola DROID RAZR M
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1119949246.png
    T-Mobile // Simple Choice Prepaid Unlimited
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW)
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1146406371.png

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    342
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    If Son is a smart business man...
    I just have to laugh when a random internet poster feels that he has more "business smarts" than the Chairman and CEO of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate corporation. The human Ego can be a remarkable thing.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    99
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    If sprint had to sell and tmobile decided to buy their pcs spectrum, would sprints pcs spectrum help tmobile? I know sprint owns pcs G blocks and its a superset of band 2. Would tmobile be able to just use the A through F blocks out of the G block?

    I wonder if tmobile would be allowed to gobble sprint. I know att and verizon cant.

    It would be so funny if john became sprints ceo and fired the current sprint ceo.


    via the HoFo App
    The US government wont let any of the 4 tier 1 carriers merge currently. Doesn't matter which carrier is buying the other one. They've made it clear that they want 4 carriers so unless the Republicans win the presidency, that isn't changing.

    With that said, T-Mobile would be able to quickly re-purpose the A-F spectrum across most of their network since almost every T-Mobile tower has a Band 2 antenna. However, not all towers have been upgraded to PCS LTE so there would be some work there but that's work that they will probably do anyway over time.

    Still its an irrelevant question. T-Mobile and Sprint aren't merging. The DoJ and FCC shot that down and it wont change until a new administration with a different view comes in.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I could see a possibility that Sprint might "part out" some of its spectrum.

    I realize that Sprint probably won't get sold off or parted out during the auction, but wanted to float the idea.

    In actuality I think Sprint might last until the end of next year before large decisions like that are made. If it was my billions of dollars though... I would get out sooner than later.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,635
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    The biggest problem wasn't the brand or even the existing management at Sprint, it was his big ego and know-it-all mentally. That was his problem, and that's what got him questioning his purchase. I admire his ambition to enter the US market and make Sprint better, but his know-it-all mentally caused him to underestimate the size of the job, the nature of the job and what it takes to get the job done.

    What worked in Japan to get SoftBank competitive with NTT, won't necessarily work in the USA with Sprint to beat AT&T and Verizon Wireless. He blew it with trying to make a play for T-Mobile, instead of working with T-Mobile to expand coverage as interim solution.

    It's about high time that both Marcelo Claure and John Legere stop trying to one up each other and focus on pummeling AT&T and Verizon Wireless. The CCA Data/Device Hub is one way, and best way to go...nothing is wrong with price, coverage and product differentiation but these guys seem to be more interested in grabbing each others throats and trying to one up each other.
    How did Son ever think he was going to take on ATT and VZW? They are Ma Bell, born and bred from the same company with a nasty culture and more influence than most global companies. If you re-combined the 2, it would be one of the largest companies in the world. That's staggering when you realize they mostly sell a service and not something tangible (in all lines of business - wireless, internet, TV).

    Also, T-Mobile is taking on the big 2 in the last way left - expanding as quickly and heavily as they can. Tmo is/was already in a better position with having a much more dense network. It shows it went a long way by having the least spectrum of all carriers. If they are on plans to make their network almost twice as big physically which will be good. Then they can take on Ma Bell because the playing field will be more 'even'. You'll actually compete on customer service which Ma Bell has not really ever had to do.

    Sprint should be attacking Ma Bell in this fashion too. In the mean time, offer like a $25-35 plan with like 5gb and a $45 plan with unlimited. Scale up some type of family plan if you will and make it simple pricing. No more gimmicks, stop playing the same old game - they're losing at it. Shake up the industry in a way Tmo won't even. No more nickel and diming us to death.

    Additionally, I think Sprint should be selling off that 2.5ghz. Not only would it bring them money and benefit citizens by seeing it actually used fully, Sprint would get a secondary benefit. They would have at least 1 other big provider, maybe more, using phones with that band. So, they could be more cheaply made. I know many of your flaghship phones can go between all the carriers now, Iphones, Nexus 6, etc. But, this would trickle it down quickly to unlocked models and to lower end, bargain phones.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    261
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Additionally, I think Sprint should be selling off that 2.5ghz. Not only would it bring them money and benefit citizens by seeing it actually used fully, Sprint would get a secondary benefit. They would have at least 1 other big provider, maybe more, using phones with that band. So, they could be more cheaply made. I know many of your flaghship phones can go between all the carriers now, Iphones, Nexus 6, etc. But, this would trickle it down quickly to unlocked models and to lower end, bargain phones.
    This entire paragraph is entirely wrong.

    No matter who Sprint buys or the price of their plans they're not going to challenge anyone until they have a reliable network and a consistent customer experience where they offer service. Until they fix the network and the gaping holes they're not going to grow or challenge anyone. If they give away their spectrum they won't be able to do anything except limp along hemorrhaging customers.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    113
    Feedback Score
    0
    {Additionally, I think Sprint should be selling off that 2.5ghz. Not only would it bring them money and benefit citizens by seeing it actually used fully, Sprint would get a secondary benefit. They would have at least 1 other big provider, maybe more, using phones with that band. So, they could be more cheaply made. I know many of your flaghship phones can go between all the carriers now, Iphones, Nexus 6, etc. But, this would trickle it down quickly to unlocked models and to lower end, bargain phones.[/QUOTE]


    Sprint doesn't need to sell any 2.5ghz spectrum because there is already a big provider that use that band and it's called China Mobile with over 800 millions customers. See Apple put the 2.5ghz TDD LTE band on their phones because of China Mobile. Also Sprint parent company use Band 41 for TDD LTE.


    You guys need to get out of the North American bubble regarding if Verizon or Att doesn't use 2.5ghz spectrum then Sprint is screwed.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,782
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've always thought Sprint should keep just enough 2.5 for capacity, say 40 MHz (pretty much identical to a 20x20 FDD network, but not quite) and then sell of the rest. That would mean more money for a lower frequency (600) which can be deployed cheaper. Not only are they making money, they're saving money. I'm sure AT&T would love to get their hands on some 2.5. They don't have much capacity to begin with, and only have 2 15x15 LTE deployments that i've heard of nationwide. If Sprint had AT&T using the same band they could have a HUGE LTE roaming agreement on band 41. Sprint could see more Band 41 across the country and AT&T could have higher density.
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    261
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I've always thought Sprint should keep just enough 2.5 for capacity, say 40 MHz (pretty much identical to a 20x20 FDD network, but not quite) and then sell of the rest. That would mean more money for a lower frequency (600) which can be deployed cheaper. Not only are they making money, they're saving money. I'm sure AT&T would love to get their hands on some 2.5. They don't have much capacity to begin with, and only have 2 15x15 LTE deployments that i've heard of nationwide. If Sprint had AT&T using the same band they could have a HUGE LTE roaming agreement on band 41. Sprint could see more Band 41 across the country and AT&T could have higher density.
    What makes you think 40 MHz is enough?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,364
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    How did Son ever think he was going to take on ATT and VZW? They are Ma Bell, born and bred from the same company with a nasty culture and more influence than most global companies. If you re-combined the 2, it would be one of the largest companies in the world. That's staggering when you realize they mostly sell a service and not something tangible (in all lines of business - wireless, internet, TV).
    That's the question that Son hasn't found an answer for, and with the latest revelations being revealed is something he has struggled with ever since taking over Sprint. But as I pointed it out, he underestimated the USA. How he does it, is up to him and the extent the covenants his Japanese handlers will allow him to pour money into Sprint.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    That's the question that Son hasn't found an answer for, and with the latest revelations being revealed is something he has struggled with ever since taking over Sprint. But as I pointed it out, he underestimated the USA. How he does it, is up to him and the extent the covenants his Japanese handlers will allow him to pour money into Sprint.
    In my opinion, as we move forward (whether he can see it or not) the only thing that Son is engineering is a more expensive failure. He needs to be planning his exit strategy.

    Sounds like Son neglected to include a multi billion dollar failure into his "visionary" 500 year plan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The 906 Series Seem To Be Less Common For Sale In The West?
    By Super Chimp in forum Japanese Phones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 10:47 PM
  3. Replies: 82
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 12:04 PM
  4. AT&T Wireless going up for sale?
    By chiLLen in forum Nokia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 09:37 PM

Bookmarks