Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I think Sprint may be going up for sale during the 2016 government auction

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I think Sprint may be going up for sale during the 2016 government auction

Son stated that at one point he thought about "writing Sprint off as a loss" and he even tried to sell the company... but nobody wanted it.

My advice to him: He can continue to dump billions of dollars into a bottomless pit, or SELL at the right time. What time is the right time? Put Sprint up for sale (or a huge section of its spectrum) next year at the same time as the government spectrum auction.

There are a lot of buyers who have acquired financing or gathered cash specifically to participate in the auction. There's going to be a buying frenzy. If Son is a smart business man he'll see the opportunity in offering up his product when the big players are looking to spend cash. If he waits, it's just more of his money down the tubes.

It's time for Son to sell Sprint and go back to Softbank.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Did you read the WSJ article? No one wants to buy it.

Son's only option is to pour more money in and fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Did you read the WSJ article? No one wants to buy it.

Son's only option is to pour more money in and fix it.

That same article said the banks forbid him from putting more money into Sprint. He can't borrow on Softbank to fund Sprint. So he can sell spectrum or raise debt. How much money is that really going to bring in before the auction? This is why some analysts believe Sprint will go bankrupt in 2016.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When Softbank first bought Sprint, there was still a lot of hope around successfully deploying 2.5 ghz to improve. Remember at the time, T-Mobile hadn't started the uncarrier initiatives yet or even deployed LTE. T-Mobile was still a good 20+ million subscribers behind in 2012. Sprint was considered the more solid investment of the two carriers at the time because of their treasure trove of 2.5 ghz and more solid footing in terms of managing its customer base.

Of course things changed entirely and T-Mobile took off and turned out to have been the more solid of the two carriers. I think investors never realized that Sprint had massive amounts of deferred maintenance and deferred upgrades which in turn made deploying high speed data a miserable experience.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Sprint going up for sale during the 2016 government auction?

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    That same article said the banks forbid him from putting more money into Sprint. He can't borrow on Softbank to fund Sprint. So he can sell spectrum or raise debt. How much money is that really going to bring in before the auction? This is why some analysts believe Sprint will go bankrupt in 2016.
    Who else in the analyst community other than Craig Moffett has said Sprint would use up all liquidity in 2016? Sprint addressed liquidity in their latest conference call. Now if you wish to call shenanigans to what they've put out in the conference call, fine.

Also, bankruptcy would likely result in reorganization this time around. Might actually be better in the long run in lots of ways. If Masa had put in Claure in on day 1 and never chased after T-Mobile, Sprint is probably on much better footing.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So if Softbank can't pump more money into Sprint, and their revenue and profit keeps worsening, does that mean they're likely to skip the 600MHz auction? Or do you guys think they'll load themselves up with more debt or sell 2.5GHz to buy 600MHz?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    So if Softbank can't pump more money into Sprint, and their revenue and profit keeps worsening, does that mean they're likely to skip the 600MHz auction? Or do you guys think they'll load themselves up with more debt or sell 2.5GHz to buy 600MHz?
    I'm at the point where I'd rather see Sprint buy 600 MHz and risk C11. C11 might not be a bad thing here.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Who else in the analyst community other than Craig Moffett has said Sprint would use up all liquidity in 2016? Sprint addressed liquidity in their latest conference call. Now if you wish to call shenanigans to what they've put out in the conference call, fine.

Also, bankruptcy would likely result in reorganization this time around. Might actually be better in the long run in lots of ways. If Masa had put in Claure in on day 1 and never chased after T-Mobile, Sprint is probably on much better footing.
    This is originating from Verizon's Muppet, it's time to BUY more Sprint Stock.... That VZW arse licker has been great at helping us make money with Sprint. He's so wrong, and such a great tool to use for gains. Did Sprint charge him an ETF or something, he seems to carry a personal vendetta against the company...
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    This is originating from Verizon's Muppet, it's time to BUY more Sprint Stock.... That VZW arse licker has been great at helping us make money with Sprint. He's so wrong, and such a great tool to use for gains. Did Sprint charge him an ETF or something, he seems to carry a personal vendetta against the company...
    Moffett doesn't have the greatest track record on Sprint's end, I do recall that correctly. A fair number of the shorts bailed after the last Sprint conference call, FWIW.

Now what happens from here on out remains to be seen.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Moffett doesn't have the greatest track record on Sprint's end, I do recall that correctly. A fair number of the shorts bailed after the last Sprint conference call, FWIW.

Now what happens from here on out remains to be seen.

Masa bought a used car, unfortunately it needed some major work to get it back on the road. The problem with Sprint is their front line sucks, been into too many Corp. stores and seen it first hand. Compared to T-mobile stores where there is an exciting atmosphere that a consumer experiences as soon as you walk into any of their outlets, Sprint stores are more like VZW or At&t corporate stores, just not exciting, where you walk in and have to take a number... yawn. When you're the number 3, now 4, carrier you have got to get your front line people (the face of the company) to show they want a customer to be a new subscriber (or one with additional lines of service) by the time they leave the store. I have only seen that effort by Sprint people on very few occasions, where it seems to be protocol at T-mo...

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    Masa bought a used car, unfortunately it needed some major work to get it back to on the road. The problem with Sprint is their front line sucks, been into too many Corp. stores and seen it first hand. Compared to T-mobile stores where there is an exciting atmosphere that a consumer experiences as soon as you walk into any of their outlets, Sprint stores are more like VZW or At&t corporate stores, just not exciting, where you walk in and have to take a number... yawn. When you're the number 3, now 4, carrier you have got to get your front line people (the face of the company) to show they want a customer to be a new subscriber (or one with additional lines of service) by the time they leave the store. I have only seen that effort by Sprint people on very few occasions, where it seems to be protocol at T-mo...
    You're exactly right.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Sprint's liquidity is largely hinged on their ability to sell spectrum (what price will the market pay) and if there is a buyer (whoelse but Verizon is even interested). So basically no liquidity. Like Dish, there is this illusion that spectrum has value without the capability to deploy at scale. So the only realistic option is issuing more debt, but Sprint has $60B in liabilities and still operating at a loss. If Sprint filled for Chapter 11 they would be gutted and sold off, there would be no reorganization, banks don't care. TBH, Moffett was on-point with Sprint, they got bailed-out by Softbank, so in the near-term investors are eying the company to foot the bill. Japanese creditors aren't so willing.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    HUH?

Why would SoftBank increase its stake from 80% to 85% of Sprint for $87 million?
    If SoftBank even hinted about selling Sprint then he would of reduced his holdings in Sprint to something below the 80% that his company controls. The fact that he dropped $87 million for 5% more of the company means he serious about Sprint.

My advice to Son if you're to sell in the near term is reduce the shares owned in Sprint over time to reduce exposure to this company. Sell out now while the price is "high" enough. I do hope that the banks he has loaned from is free and clean from unsavory characters.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    HUH?

Why would SoftBank increase its stake from 80% to 85% of Sprint for $87 million?
    If SoftBank even hinted about selling Sprint then he would of reduced his holdings in Sprint to something below the 80% that his company controls. The fact that he dropped $87 million for 5% more of the company means he wants control of it.
    I'll just say here I have long advocated that SoftBank take 100% control and rebrand, along with even more massive changes than what happened. Marcelo Claure takes over day 1 of the SoftBank/Sprint transaction, then Sprint is likely in a better place. At least all the old execs are gone now. It didn't happen quickly enough but it's a start.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'll just say here I have long advocated that SoftBank take 100% control and rebrand, along with even more massive changes than what happened. Marcelo Claure takes over day 1 of the SoftBank/Sprint transaction, then Sprint is likely in a better place. At least all the old execs are gone now. It didn't happen quickly enough but it's a start.

The biggest problem wasn't the brand or even the existing management at Sprint, it was his big ego and know-it-all mentally. That was his problem, and that's what got him questioning his purchase. I admire his ambition to enter the US market and make Sprint better, but his know-it-all mentally caused him to underestimate the size of the job, the nature of the job and what it takes to get the job done.

What worked in Japan to get SoftBank competitive with NTT, won't necessarily work in the USA with Sprint to beat AT&T and Verizon Wireless. He blew it with trying to make a play for T-Mobile, instead of working with T-Mobile to expand coverage as interim solution.

It's about high time that both Marcelo Claure and John Legere stop trying to one up each other and focus on pummeling AT&T and Verizon Wireless. The CCA Data/Device Hub is one way, and best way to go...nothing is wrong with price, coverage and product differentiation but these guys seem to be more interested in grabbing each others throats and trying to one up each other.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast