Thread: Good Roaming Coverage in the West of Ireland

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Good Roaming Coverage in the West of Ireland

My wife and her friends spent some time on vacation/holiday in the west of Ireland from Dingle up to Westport. She reported very good coverage for most of the trip and her phone became the go to hot spot for everyone! Tethering is not supposed to work on Simple Choice International, but the Android hot spot feature sure did. She used app. 300 MB total over the trip and racked up about $20 in $.20/minute calls, which isn't bad considering the convenience of not having to get a local SIM. In addition, a local SIM gives you only one network, whereas Simple Choice Int. allowed her to roam on Vodafone, O2, and Hutchison 3. It was definitely superior than just O2 with a local SIM, as on the last trip.

Her LG phone is only 900 (2G), 1800 (2G), and 2100 (3G) capable, but it worked better with T-Mobile than her friends' late model iPhones (more bands) with other USA carriers and int. roaming packages enabled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Good Roaming Coverage in the West of Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by N900Fan View Post
    My wife and her friends spent some time on vacation/holiday in the west of Ireland from Dingle up to Westport. She reported very good coverage for most of the trip and her phone became the go to hot spot for everyone! Tethering is not supposed to work on Simple Choice International, but the Android hot spot feature sure did. She used app. 300 MB total over the trip and racked up about $20 in $.20/minute calls, which isn't bad considering the convenience of not having to get a local SIM. In addition, a local SIM gives you only one network, whereas Simple Choice Int. allowed her to roam on Vodafone, O2, and Hutchison 3. It was definitely superior than just O2 with a local SIM, as on the last trip.

Her LG phone is only 900 (2G), 1800 (2G), and 2100 (3G) capable, but it worked better with T-Mobile than her friends' late model iPhones (more bands) with other USA carriers and int. roaming packages enabled.
    I remember being in Ireland a year and a half ago, and thats basically the same experience I had. If I didn't have a T-Mobile or Three UK sim there would have been way more areas of no service, even in the more populated towns like Killarney. You could go a little down the street and went from 3 to Vodafone.

Also I was in France this summer, my uncles Belgium Base phone had signal but wasn't able to dial out, though I put the number in my phone and was able to call without an issue. I'm sure I was on a different network than him.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE