Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Rogers confirms: "All Mobilicity plans are being honoured"

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid mini
    Carrier(s)
    Rogerlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyf View Post
    I was told by the rep at a Mobilicity Store in Toronto (not a reseller) that the Back to school $40 deal would be active until the end of September *AND* that the switch over onto Rogers' network would happen in October.
    Thanks for info........any discussion on Rogers honouring plans rather then grandfathering them ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel cool View Post
    Thanks for info........any discussion on Rogers honouring plans rather then grandfathering them ?
    Didn't speak to them about any specifics, but he said it's a good deal as you get to keep the plan but get switched over to rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Public / Freedom / T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel cool View Post
    You have to understand Roger's need to dumb down their statements for the lowest common denominator. Some people might go 'huh what's grandfathering?' but most people should understand the term honouring ie honour their word etc.

From what I see now the balance of probabilities are leaning more towards grandfathering then before.

1. A new BTS promotion was done after the takeover, so this would imply Rogers is looking for additional subs and in it for the long term.

Mobi's BTS promotion @ $40 is actually more $$$ than Wind's promotion this time around. Usually they are at a discount to Wind so it appears the company is on stronger footing. I think they will further increase the price once the network is transitioned into Rogers.

2. Repeated statements that they were honouring all Mobilicities plans going forward. If they were looking to close up shop asap their best course of action would be to keep silent on the matter.

*Also this should be obvious, but don't expect LTE or nation wide roam free coverage. Expect good Rogers 3G and unlimited zones in major cities based on the the existing Mobilicity / Chatr footprint. For the $29 a month this is more than fair and better than anything out there.
    Last edited by cal653; 08-27-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    *Also this should be obvious, but don't expect LTE or nation wide roam free coverage. Expect good Rogers 3G and unlimited zones in major cities based on the the existing Mobilicity / Chatr footprint. For the $29 a month this is more than fair and better than anything out there.
    The Mobilicity and Chatr maps are a little different. It would be amazing to have Rogers Use Chatr maps for Mobilicity, because then I will have coverage in Milton,Oakville etc.

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Amazing? some might say.

Interesting thing, it would take more effort in configuration to recreate the roaming boundaries of the defunct Mobilicity network on the existing Rogers network.

From a marketing aspect those old boundaries would leave Mobilicity hobbled in comparisons to WIND coverage.
    There is 6 sub brands and MVNO that operate on Rogers network. I don't think it will be complicated for Rogers to recreate any boundaries.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Not "complicated" or difficult for Rogers, just artificial. People tend to assume the roaming boundaries they see on a coverage map are fixed due to the physical network.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkhan View Post
    The Mobilicity and Chatr maps are a little different. It would be amazing to have Rogers Use Chatr maps for Mobilicity, because then I will have coverage in Milton,Oakville etc.
    Contrary to the online maps, Mobilicity ALREADY works in eastern parts of Milton/Oakville

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Contrary to the online maps, Mobilicity ALREADY works in eastern parts of Milton/Oakville
    Not much though... I tested with a Mobilicity sim card in January and despite the fact where I can see their network at home (near Derry and Millerway/Armstrong) The signal was a bar or maybe less. Whereas Chatr works really well. So hopefully they use Chatr maps for Mobilicity!

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkhan View Post
    Not much though... I tested with a Mobilicity sim card in January and despite the fact where I can see their network at home (near Derry and Millerway/Armstrong) The signal was a bar or maybe less. Whereas Chatr works really well. So hopefully they use Chatr maps for Mobilicity!
    Chatr uses Rogers. What does a map have to do with anything?
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    Also this should be obvious, but don't expect LTE or nation wide roam free coverage. Expect good Rogers 3G and unlimited zones in major cities based on the the existing Mobilicity / Chatr footprint.
    It just clicked for me. Unlimited zones, not "local" zones. 1GB anywhere else on the native network (or some other not-discriminatory amount). Need more than the included out-of-zone quota? that's where a "more on Rogers network" add-on could come in.

That would dispel the perception that artificial roaming will penalize those on the original Mobilicity plans, if in fact the old boundaries are used on the Rogers network.

The Chatr option would as well, and stand comparison with WIND's coverage.
    Last edited by pjw918; 08-28-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I have heard different information about the $40 promo being active till tomorrow (Aug 30) or till the end of September. I wish Rogers chooses to go with Chatr Maps for homezones, and make it official before the promo is over. I am sure I am not the only just outside of the Mobilicity current coverage, who is interested in signing up.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    I see Cityfone has native access to the entire Rogers network. Extended coverage too. And LTE.

If you didn't know Cityfone is a sub-brand of Rogers.

http://www.cityfone.net/coverage
    Last edited by pjw918; 08-31-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    I see Cityfone has native access to the entire Rogers network. Extended coverage too. And LTE.

If you didn't know Cityfone is a sub-brand of Rogers.

http://www.cityfone.net/coverage
    Careful there
    Cityfone has some weird billing though

http://www.cityfone.net/rate-plans/t...paign=newlegal

Among the other oddities is the fact incoming calls are not free unless in your zone
    So even if you had cross Canada minutes + nights, if you receive a call it would be deducted from your airtime or even appear as an extra charge depending on plan
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    FYI - Just switched from Wind to Mobilicity to take advantage of this deal before it possibly goes away (again as noted before: no concrete answers as to when this $40 deal will go away...).

I learned some new bits of info today: the coverage area is going to expand. The store person said it's already being turned on in a few areas they didn't cover before. She seemed to suggest the yellow areas on the map will be part of it now too.

Other thing: a different expectation for when the network transfer will take place...these opinions differed even among the staff...one saying it will happen in September, another saying it could be any time between now and December.

Last thing: wow, moblicity's data speed and signal strength is weak compared to wind! It's going to be a rough time for me until Mobilicity finally switches onto the Rogers network...

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyf View Post
    Last thing: wow, moblicity's data speed and signal strength is weak compared to wind! It's going to be a rough time for me until Mobilicity finally switches onto the Rogers network...
    Weak doesn't really mean anything. You can either have a weaker signal with lower latency (mobi) or stronger signal with high latency (wind)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast