Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Rootmetrics nationwide 2015 first half report is out

Feedback Score

Rootmetrics nationwide 2015 first half report is out

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/s...1h-national-us

Looks like T-Mobile placed 4th again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Phones used during testing: AT&T - Galaxy S5 , Sprint - Galaxy S5 , T-Mobile - Galaxy S5 , Verizon - Galaxy S5

Here's the problem.
    Bye!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "..in the first half of 2015, one carrier was in the process of rolling out 700 MHz spectrum band in certain markets and releasing phones that supported this additional spectrum. The additional spectrum was not widely available to consumers at that time because it was released in limited markets and the devices were new. With the expansion of this rollout and support on additional devices, our testing in the second half of 2015 will cover the release of this new 700 MHz spectrum deployment".
    Get DropBox!!

Was an ATT customer since 2011 switched to T-Mobile 4/2015 and living in NY. Thank God for unlimited data!

Feedback Score

Ouch. I wonder what excuses will be used now.

This report already shows what we already know. AT&T and Verizon are in a class of their own.

The Uncarrier was the worst in most categories. Only beat Sprint in two metrics.

Zero awards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aio_user View Post
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/s...1h-national-us

Looks like T-Mobile placed 4th again.
    This bothers you because .. ?
    I personally don't care for 'country wide' reports, when ~98% of my usage is within 50 miles of where I live.

Root Metrics reports are pretty much coincide with my area... T-Mo is on par with VZW and AT&T.
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/lo...les-ca/2015/1H
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/an...ley-ca/2015/1H
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/oxnard-ca/2015/1H
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/riverside-ca/2015/1H

also, where I went on vacation
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/boston-ma/2015/1H

My point is... I don't really care that much about these reports, as I'm saving ~20% off of an AT&T bill + international roaming/calling
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    ^ Uhh... These national reports basically aggregate all of those smaller test areas together

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Ouch. I wonder what excuses will be used now.
    1. Rapid subscriber growth causing strain on network. (Same excuse AT&T used after introducing iPhone)
    2. Not using band-12 compatible device.
    3. Testing at beginning of year did not reflect rapid conversion to LTE taking place.
    4. Testing included areas where T-Mobile's customers don't historically cluster.

Clearly, I think that T-Mobile's lack of rural coverage hurt them in this study.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post
    Phones used during testing: AT&T - Galaxy S5 , Sprint - Galaxy S5 , T-Mobile - Galaxy S5 , Verizon - Galaxy S5

Here's the problem.
    Yep, Not one of those phones have Band 12 supported. This would be like testing AT&T without a Band 17. I knew that would be the problem since the Samsung Note 4 was the only phone available that supported Band 12 at the start of this test in January of 2015.

According to the report Verizon won or shared the Overall RootScore Award in 47 of 50 states. Then back to reality that T-Mobile is taking customers away from Verizon, AT&T and Sprint every quarter in net customers adds that makes T-Mobile the fastest growing Cell Network.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-18-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    1. Rapid subscriber growth causing strain on network. (Same excuse AT&T used after introducing iPhone)
    2. Not using band-12 compatible device.
    3. Testing at beginning of year did not reflect rapid conversion to LTE taking place.
    4. Testing included areas where T-Mobile's customers don't historically cluster.

Clearly, I think that T-Mobile's lack of rural coverage hurt them in this study.
    Spot on, but I'm not going to buy the first three excuses.

1. TMobile loves to call themselves data strong.

2. They're acting like only TMobile was given an outdated phone. Nope. They all were. Sprint's wasn't even a 2xCA compatible phone at all.

3. The third one? TMobile isn't the one going thru rapid expansion. AT&T and Verizon have been deploying new LTE layers across the nation.

It's simple fact that they regressed from the last RM comparison. They didn't improve.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Spot on, but I'm not going to buy the first three excuses.

1. TMobile loves to call themselves data strong.

2. They're acting like only TMobile was given an outdated phone. Nope. They all were. Sprint's wasn't even a 2xCA compatible phone at all.

3. The third one? TMobile isn't the one going thru rapid expansion. AT&T and Verizon have been deploying new LTE layers across the nation.

It's simple fact that they regressed from the last RM comparison. They didn't improve.

1. I see no strain in SoCal... its still faster than AT&T
    2. Just like AT&T used to do. In SoCal, it only matters if you want better than 15x15 or 20x20. Its rare that I hit band 12, and when I do, its usually at fringe areas.
    3. They all are - well, AT&T hasn't really improved here in SoCal much. Typical AT&T speeds are ~12-25Mbps/10Mbps, while on T-Mobile, its 45-90Mbps/~23Mbps... and costs less.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Without counting Speed Test in the equation, what apps do people use on here that would consume over 10 Mbps?

My example? When I tried the T-Mobile SIM the only time I could tell that connection was faster was when I was using speed test. For all the apps I use, I couldn't tell any real difference in speed between T-Mobile and Verizon. I could tell, however, when I fell of T-Mobile LTE to GSM.

"Ryan, you're using a 5S." True, but even if I went to a band 12 device I'd not be able to use it to its fullest extent here as USCC owns the local band 12 spectrum. AT&T and Verizon both have 700 MHz spectrum in band 17 and band 13 here, along with multiple towers around Chester.

That's just my own anecdotal experience but ultimately we all have to make judgments like this to find what's right for us. Where I live, it's a choice between Verizon and AT&T. I could use T-Mobile as a tablet line but for my daily driver, they would need to find a way to wrestle away 700 MHz from USCC and use it to expand coverage where I live.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Yep, Not one of those phones have Band 12 supported. This would be like testing AT&T without a Band 17.
    It really wouldn't. Band 17 was the first LTE band AT&T deployed, so EVERY AT&T branded smartphone with LTE has this band. The iPhone 6 is the single most popular phone and it doesn't have band 12. Also early reports from unlocked phones such as the Moto G are having band 12 disabled because of the lack of T-Mobile VoLTE. We will have to see if the new Moto X will have band 12, if not it may be necessary to have to buy a T-Mobile branded phone for band 12.

T-Mobile's upgrades should be reflected in the next report (2015 2nd half) but the other carriers aren't standing still either.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Without counting Speed Test in the equation, what apps do people use on here that would consume over 10 Mbps?

My example? When I tried the T-Mobile SIM the only time I could tell that connection was faster was when I was using speed test. For all the apps I use, I couldn't tell any real difference in speed between T-Mobile and Verizon. I could tell, however, when I fell of T-Mobile LTE to GSM.

"Ryan, you're using a 5S." True, but even if I went to a band 12 device I'd not be able to use it to its fullest extent here as USCC owns the local band 12 spectrum. AT&T and Verizon both have 700 MHz spectrum in band 17 and band 13 here, along with multiple towers around Chester.

That's just my own anecdotal experience but ultimately we all have to make judgments like this to find what's right for us. Where I live, it's a choice between Verizon and AT&T. I could use T-Mobile as a tablet line but for my daily driver, they would need to find a way to wrestle away 700 MHz from USCC and use it to expand coverage where I live.
    We get it, you like Verizon. I have T-Mobile (coming from AT&T, which is #1 here by a long shot. Verizon is a DISTANT third, with T-Mobile being second.)

I have only ever seen G 2 times, and E less than I can count on my hands.

But I do see 3G and 1X on my mom's Verizon iPhone 5S more often than not. She believes Verizon is the best, but why am I on LTE on AWS while she can't even pick up an LTE signal on 700?

Verizon does have a great network, just not everywhere. Same with T-Mobile and same with AT&T. Maybe not Sprint. /s

I think that network performance depends on where you live.

AT&T can outperform Verizon with a 5 MHz primary layer here and some 10 MHz secondary layer.

Either way, don't flood other carrier forums with your Verizon preaching.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by aio_user View Post
    It really wouldn't. Band 17 was the first LTE band AT&T deployed, so EVERY AT&T branded smartphone with LTE has this band. The iPhone 6 is the single most popular phone and it doesn't have band 12. Also early reports from unlocked phones such as the Moto G are having band 12 disabled because of the lack of T-Mobile VoLTE. We will have to see if the new Moto X will have band 12, if not it may be necessary to have to buy a T-Mobile branded phone for band 12.

T-Mobile's upgrades should be reflected in the next report (2015 2nd half) but the other carriers aren't standing still either.
    Bingo. TMobile and their fan base will always find a way to discredit the results.

They are trying to screw users into constantly upgrading phones every few months because of their network. Look at the iPhone 5. AT&T specced the device back then with B17, B2, B5, and B4.

TMobile? HTC M8 users are already screwed because it didn't come with B2 LTE. Even the AT&T version did.

When will the excuses stop?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Either way, don't flood other carrier forums with your Verizon preaching.
    Well, yeah, I framed my example as anecdotal and not reflecting much of anything outside where I lived. I wouldn't call that Verizon preaching. That's just a reflection of what is around me.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast