Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Nowak: Why I switched away from Wind Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    But the current 10MHz (5x5 = 5 from phone to tower & 5 from tower to phone) is used for their HSPA network. The additional 10MHz would be used to create a second network using LTE. Only in southern ON does Wind have 20MHz (10x10) right now, going to 30MHz total. This is all AWS-1 1700/2100 bandwidth.

The difference with the big 3 is that they have multiple different bandwidths that if one is not available, another one is to fill in. Wind doesn't have an alternative at the moment. Some of these bandwidths can also travel greater distances, thus a smaller number of towers are needed, thus smaller costs to that carrier.

The big 3 can start at 4G or LTE on one or more pieces of bandwidth. If that is all full, then it can drop to 3G or HSPA, again on one or more pieces of bandwidth. For Rogers, they can go lower in a large area of their network that is 2G or GPRS, not very good for data speed but ok for voice. Rogers is the only carrier in Canada with 2G.

As Bell, Telus, Sasktel and MTS repurpose their old CDMA networks to LTE, it adds to their usable bandwidth for today's phones.

When AWS-3 networking gear becomes available, Wind will have 30MHz (15x15) for a third network (except in Ottawa). This will likely be 4G/LTE or perhaps 5G, depending on how long it takes to be developed.

The other issue of course is the number of towers available and how far apart they are. You can get ok coverage with a smaller number of towers but the more customers you have in an area, you need more towers or more bandwidth to handle them. The longer you are around the more towers you will have. Wind has just over 1450 right now. I'm sure the big three have many thousands of towers each, built up over 30 years.

I'm hoping that Winds LTE network will end the issues for awhile. As it grows, it will need to get more bandwidth and more towers to keep up.

This is my understanding on it anyway. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I've said anything wrong.

Via HoFo App on an iPhone 5S
    We can get really technical and debate every aspect of Wind's network vs the big 3. The bottom line is the big 3's initial deployment of LTE relied heavily on the AWS spectrum that they acquired at the same time as Wind started up. In many areas there was only 10 Mhz of spectrum to work with. Yes, there was fallback to 3G. The fact of the matter was the LTE portion of the network was much better performing than Wind's rickety network. The big 3 have combined user base of over 25 million. Wind has struggle to get to the current 800,000 in the mean time. As well developed as the big 3's network is, it still takes effort to service the 25 million customers. This is 2015 going on 2016, Wind is no longer a new kid on the block. Surely all the old excuses have worn thin. If we keep on making up new excuses, we are merely rationalizing that they should forever remain a broken company.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    We can get really technical and debate every aspect of Wind's network vs the big 3. The bottom line is the big 3's initial deployment of LTE relied heavily on the AWS spectrum that they acquired at the same time as Wind started up. In many areas there was only 10 Mhz of spectrum to work with. Yes, there was fallback to 3G. The fact of the matter was the LTE portion of the network was much better performing than Wind's rickety network. The big 3 have combined user base of over 25 million. Wind has struggle to get to the current 800,000 in the mean time. As well developed as the big 3's network is, it still takes effort to service the 25 million customers. This is 2015 going on 2016, Wind is no longer a new kid on the block. Surely all the old excuses have worn thin. If we keep on making up new excuses, we are merely rationalizing that they should forever remain a broken company.
    How about we talk business?

A company starts by investors putting in enough money to start the business, to acquire assets and hire people to build the business. The initial phase of business may require more money going out than coming in, but if that goes on for too long, the company goes belly up, struggles and/or is acquired, AKA Mobilicity, Clearnet and Fido, for recent telco examples. Include GM, Chrysler, Sun and however many others for non telco examples.

In hindsight, Wind should have gotten more bandwidth and concentrated on one or two or three provinces. Instead it bought bandwidth everywhere except southern QC. Waste of money.

In hindsight according to you, they should have waited for a number of YEARS to start their business with LTE since the first handset wasn't available until September 2010 and those first handsets were flaky feature phones. Yeah, way to build a network, starting with experimental equipment. What confidence I as a customer would have.

Ford would be such a better company now if they would have started with the Mustang instead of the Model T!

It must be SO NICE to wear rose coloured glasses and live in a world where reality doesn't intrude.

Of course YMMV.

-----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    How about we talk business?

A company starts by investors putting in enough money to start the business, to acquire assets and hire people to build the business. The initial phase of business may require more money going out than coming in, but if that goes on for too long, the company goes belly up, struggles and/or is acquired, AKA Mobilicity, Clearnet and Fido, for recent telco examples. Include GM, Chrysler, Sun and however many others for non telco examples.

In hindsight, Wind should have gotten more bandwidth and concentrated on one or two or three provinces. Instead it bought bandwidth everywhere except southern QC. Waste of money.

In hindsight according to you, they should have waited for a number of YEARS to start their business with LTE since the first handset wasn't available until September 2010 and those first handsets were flaky feature phones. Yeah, way to build a network, starting with experimental equipment. What confidence I as a customer would have.

Ford would be such a better company now if they would have started with the Mustang instead of the Model T!

It must be SO NICE to wear rose coloured glasses and live in a world where reality doesn't intrude.

Of course YMMV.

You just moved the goal post. You claimed that wind does not have alternate frequencies to fall back onto so their network is bad, but now you are saying that it is because of business. These are all excuses.

You have no clue how massive the big 3 networks are. You really dont unless you drive a lot. Sitting in the middle of nowhere Ignace in northern ON? You have LTE! Campsite in eastern ON ? LTE ! Middle of rocky mountains at jasper ? LTE. The bellus LTE network is massive, you don't think it costs money to maintain?

Compare the size of the network and then proportion the prices. If bellus charges $80 for 2 gb on this network how much should wind charge? Proportion the network to the area covered.

The band 4 aws LTE covers for example all of edmonton and calgary and the area between the two cities. That network works great. Why can't wind deploy such a network?

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    You just moved the goal post. You claimed that wind does not have alternate frequencies to fall back onto so their network is bad, but now you are saying that it is because of business. These are all excuses.

You have no clue how massive the big 3 networks are. You really dont unless you drive a lot. Sitting in the middle of nowhere Ignace in northern ON? You have LTE! Campsite in eastern ON ? LTE ! Middle of rocky mountains at jasper ? LTE. The bellus LTE network is massive, you don't think it costs money to maintain?

Compare the size of the network and then proportion the prices. If bellus charges $80 for 2 gb on this network how much should wind charge? Proportion the network to the area covered.

The band 4 aws LTE covers for example all of edmonton and calgary and the area between the two cities. That network works great. Why can't wind deploy such a network?
    Yeah, comparing a company in business for 100 years (or tracing back that far) to one only in business for 7 years and comparing how big each is. Uh huh.

Comparing a company with multiple lines of business, each contributing to the whole compared to one with minimal external support.

Compare a company that has 30 years of building towers at rates in the beginning that make today's high rates look amazingly cheap. All that early revenue allowed the big 3 to put towers in those places and later upgrade them to support LTE today.

I know how massive the big 3 are. You obviously don't know how long it takes to build up from nothing to get there, or how much it costs to get there or what it's like when the 800 pound gorilla does anything and everything to stop you from gaining any market share.

Life must be so wonderful on your planet where you just snap your fingers and infrastructure just appears.

Again, YMMV.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    You can pay $48/month on Koodo and love the network that actually works almost 100% of the time plus the $32 in savings instead (Compared to some other plan you are comparing to from the big 3)? lol
    Think I'll stick with the $39 plan I have from Wind that works almost 100% of the time. Fairly confident whatever Koodo offers for $48 won't even be in the same ball park.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, comparing a company in business for 100 years (or tracing back that far) to one only in business for 7 years and comparing how big each is. Uh huh.

Comparing a company with multiple lines of business, each contributing to the whole compared to one with minimal external support.

Compare a company that has 30 years of building towers at rates in the beginning that make today's high rates look amazingly cheap. All that early revenue allowed the big 3 to put towers in those places and later upgrade them to support LTE today.

I know how massive the big 3 are. You obviously don't know how long it takes to build up from nothing to get there, or how much it costs to get there or what it's like when the 800 pound gorilla does anything and everything to stop you from gaining any market share.

Life must be so wonderful on your planet where you just snap your fingers and infrastructure just appears.

Again, YMMV.

I think many of us have waited a lot longer than the snap of a finger for better coverage/performance. Believe me, I have been patient, so much so that this is my second time with Wind. Likely, there will not be a third time. So, once the Mobilicity deal is sorted out and if I see much of the same old, same old happening, I will have some legacy $30 plans available for sale to those more patient than me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post

I spent a couple of weeks using Tbaytel/Rogers 3G up in Northern Ontario/Manitoba. It was a real eye opener. Data was not blazing fast, but it just worked. Latency was low enough that I can make phone calls with hangouts. This was the case everywhere I went, be it White River or downtown Winnipeg. If Wind can be half as good half the time, I would be all smiles.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    100 years? Funny didn't realize cell industry existed that long

You do realize Bell built their entire LTE/HSPA network in past 6 years right? From scratch?
    Prior to that they were CDMA non-SIM phones

So how come Wind could not build out a network that WORKS in at least the city?
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    You do realize Bell built their entire LTE/HSPA network in past 6 years right? From scratch?
    Much of Rogers', Bell's and Telus' rural coverage is still on the same towers that they put up in the analog network days. Many of those sites were installed in the very late 1980s and very early 1990s.

Yes, the urban coverage has changed completely (although perhaps surprisingly, as recently as a year ago in Saskatchewan, some small cities were served by a single cellsite with SaskTel, and even Rogers today has only one cellsite in several Saskatchewan cities). The rural coverage, however, remains largely the same.

It is much, much easier to upgrade this coverage to newer technologies (and add a few cellsites in between, if needed) than it is to create the network from scratch.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    100 years? Funny didn't realize cell industry existed that long

So how come Wind could not build out a network that WORKS in at least the city?
    Yeah, Telus was created in 1990 from AGT, which was created in 1906. BCTel merged with Telus in 1998 but was founded in 1904. So yes, Telus can trace its history back over a hundred years, as can Bell. Wikipedia states Rogers started in 1960, so now 55 years old, but actually was built on another company dating back to 1925. In that time, each company built up assets and businesses worth billions of dollars.

Compare that to Wind (7 years) and Globalive (17 years) and there is a BIG difference.

Videotron dates back to 1964 and parent Quebecor to 1965. Eastlink dates to 1970.

You do realize Bell, Telus and Rogers each had THOUSANDS of towers in existence before any of the new entrants even existed. Each one of those towers took investment in time, effort and money to set up. And once there were towers set up everywhere, people all of a sudden don't want towers in their back yard. So how does Wind or the other new entrants get towers when the big 3 used that as a barrier to entry? Eastlink and Videotron have cable TV systems to piggyback onto for backhaul and initial tower locations. Wind has none of these advantages.

You have obviously NEVER created a business and built it into something. You seem to have no clue what it takes, you seem to expect everything to simply be handed to you.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Feedback Score
    There is no dispute that if people want to go back to the humble beginnings of when Bell was formed, it has been a long time. That said, cellular service being this popular is, particular with data usage is a fairly recent phenomenon. The fact of the matter is the big 3 have done a reasonable job at keeping up with the load on the network. I am not asking much of Wind, just want them to maintain the level of service in an already well covered area. I came back to the service knowing that a great signal was available at work and the signal at home had improved to a usable level. For the past couple of years, network performance was for the most part good, except the past few months where data performance has fallen off a cliff. If they were not going a step forward then three steps backwards, I would not be so hard on them.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Compare that to Wind (7 years) and Globalive (17 years) and there is a BIG difference.

You do realize Bell, Telus and Rogers each had THOUSANDS of towers in existence before any of the new entrants even existed.
    You have obviously NEVER created a business and built it into something. You seem to have no clue what it takes, you seem to expect everything to simply be handed to you.
    You basically ignored (or could not understand) the main issue with Wind is no coverage in the CITY
    They do not require "thousands" of towers to cover even a large city like Toronto

There are many posts about how poor quality is in every city they operate

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    You basically ignored (or could not understand) the main issue with Wind is no coverage in the CITY
    They do not require "thousands" of towers to cover even a large city like Toronto

There are many posts about how poor quality is in every city they operate
    They also ignored how WIND even got the name was from their main backer at the time Orascom Telecom, which had supposedly brought with it, aside from loads of money and an awkward definition of ownership, the years of previous network experience and "buying power".... I do recall this being a reason to worry about Globalive.

But if that wasn't enough when Orascom (it's not real owner) sold WIND to Vimpelcom, they had access to a parent company who's had even more years operating as a mobile carrier.

So I don't get why @ABWagner wants to dilute the situation and excuse WIND's horrible service 7 years after the fact in "home" zones that should by now at least be sustainably stable and consistent with that of 3G service offerings from any other carrier.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seekr View Post
    They also ignored how WIND even got the name was from their main backer at the time Orascom Telecom, which had supposedly brought with it, aside from loads of money and an awkward definition of ownership, the years of previous network experience and "buying power".... I do recall this being a reason to worry about Globalive.

But if that wasn't enough when Orascom (it's not real owner) sold WIND to Vimpelcom, they had access to a parent company who's had even more years operating as a mobile carrier.

So I don't get why @ABWagner wants to dilute the situation and excuse WIND's horrible service 7 years after the fact in "home" zones that should by now at least be sustainably stable and consistent with that of 3G service offerings from any other carrier.
    Neither of those 'owners' were willing to spend any money on upgrades.

Perhaps it was the regulatory environment.

Perhaps it was Tony.

Or Both.

The first has changed a wee bit.

The second has been mitigated.

I am hopeful...

In the meantime, I paid $72 last month for 2200 minutes of use, 1400 of it in the US. 700 on Wind's network...

Compared to back in the day, when a sub $300 bill was remarkable... That's durn good.
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Neither of those 'owners' were willing to spend any money on upgrades.
    What upgrades? I'm talking about setting and maintaining an existing coverage zone. WIND was not the immature helpless idiot company trying to find it's way in a new land. They had affiliations with companies who had the resources. Seems silly in end of 2009 when WIND launched how many really bad dead zones there were. And it was sad to see how long it took for anything to be resolved. Now today, it seems you can get a signal, but the service is not all that helpful. (relating back to the instances of the original posters' article being share on why Peter Nowak switched).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast