Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is a single cricket line worth the money?

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

Is a single cricket line worth the money?

Noticing on another thread had pointed out what appears to be obvious, I guess. But unless one has at least four or five lines, is cricket that good a deal compared to say go phone or another att mvno? I've had no recent experience with go phone.

Feedback Score
    Depends entirely on you. I could name the various criteria you should consider but it's been discussed ad nauseam.

For me I might jump to AirVoice sacrificing 2.45GB of high speed data. But it's $19 vs $35. All depends on my Cricket Credits though.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Noted with AirVoice's $30 plan it's 1GB of data - 500MB at high speed, 500MB at reduced speed, and after 1GB it ends.

With Cricket's $40 plan it's $35 with autopay, 2.5GB at high speed, then unlimited data at reduced speed.

All depends on one's need for data.

Feedback Score
    I was referring to AV $20 UTnT 50MB/50MB plan. And quite easy CallingMart 5% off code equals $19 vs $35.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    @OP: It depends on your specific needs & preferences.

I have a line on GoPhone ($45 plan) that I pay $40.05/month for. It just works, period. Uncapped data speed, tethering. But it's only 1.5 GB of data. However, GoPhone's throttle is MUCH more usable than Cricket's is. I have both services and have done testing.

For $30/month (second discounted line) or $35 (assuming there's no multi line discount), I could have 2.5 GB, but no official tethering (which I do use) on Cricket. I'm on the fence right now because I really don't want to jailbreak my iPhone (again, this is based on me & my needs & preferences).

The answer: Whatever works best for you. But that's the beauty of prepaid, none of us is locked in. We can try out other services and tailor them for our needs or vice versa.

Feedback Score
    The multi-line plans with the deep discounts are brilliant sales and marketing. Once you get all of those people locked in at that low rate they are much more likely to stick with the plan instead of hopping to the next carrier that offers something $1 cheaper per month. It gets too hard to break up the group, and if one person leaves the incentive is high to replace that person. Being a single line person myself the Cricket deal becomes less compelling. You get a lot of data at the $35 price point ($40 less $5 on autopay), and on AT&T too, but it is throttled to a max of 8mbps and reports here indicate it can often be slower than that. On other MVNOs you can get full LTE speeds. I notice a difference in loading times and general snappiness when on LTE, though I don't think that is a deal breaker for me. The three things that keep me away from Cricket roughly in this order: customer service is lacking, SIMs are a bit costly and activation is a bit of a hassle, high-speed data is throttled and ping times are higher.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    ....The three things that keep me away from Cricket roughly in this order: customer service is lacking, SIMs are a bit costly and activation is a bit of a hassle, high-speed data is throttled and ping times are higher.
    So who are you with, what plan & how much $?

Feedback Score
    So who are you with, what plan & how much $?
    Right now I'm on PureTalk with 500 minutes a month and 1GB of data for $32.90. Free SIM, easy activation online with no hassles and autopay, no taxes or fees, full LTE speeds (I get 25mbps at home), good US-based customer service via phone, easy to change service levels every month if you want to. I only use about 500mb-1GB a month of data so it works well for me. If I needed more data I would look elsewhere. So far it's the best experience I've had with an MVNO and I have tried: Tracfone, Straight Talk, Net10, Red Pocket, H2O, and GoPhone. Strangely, I think GoPhone is a bit more hassle and has a bit worse cs than PureTalk.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have an individual line with Cricket, and it is the best value in my opinion. Nationwide 4G and LTE coverage with AT&T, and 5 GB for $45 a month on autopay. There are certainly cheaper plans, but for what I use the phone for it works well.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    I have an individual line with Cricket, and it is the best value in my opinion. Nationwide 4G and LTE coverage with AT&T, and 5 GB for $45 a month on autopay. There are certainly cheaper plans, but for what I use the phone for it works well.
    This is my opinion too, great coverage, data that works, wide choice of handsets, at least reasonable, if not great price as we have 5 plus lines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    I also have the individual line with Cricket. I don't feel like I'm getting the best deal because I'm waiting for friends to get off Straight Talk for the group plan. For what you get it's the best value. Whether it's needed or not is for everyone else to decide.

Sprint Kickstart until the apocalypse!

- Z2 Force / Pixel 3
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 lines (same price per line as a single line plan except I don't have to do autopay). I could probably get by with a cheaper MVNO and less data, but I still think Cricket is a great deal for 1-2 lines. Not having to watch my data usage when traveling or occasionally streaming music is worth it to me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Is a single cricket line worth the money?

The problem with AV on the iPhone is no mms. If I wasnt on a cricket family plan I would use simple mobile new sim every month on eBay for $5 and just use google voice for main number.

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised you can put up with TM lack of coverage in L.A. When I went through L.A. with TM years ago it was pretty bad. Now if a AT&T MVNO had new SIM deals like Simple on eBay I'd be tempted.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    It's gotten better. I purchased simple mobile sims for visitors and it seems ok. You can get H2O (ATT signal) sims for $10 on eBay. I have lots of cricket credits so I'm good for a few months.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast