Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is a single cricket line worth the money?

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball View Post
    I tried Cricket and it wasn't worth $40. It also wasn't worth the hassle to play house to get on a family plan. YMMV
    Why wasn't it worth the money?

Feedback Score
    I'm on cricket on a solo plan. $35/month. Is there another option that is cheaper and reliable for less then $35 including all taxes and fees? It must have att or Verizon coverage. FI would work but I'm not buying a special phone to use it. I use 500-1500mb a month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    I'm on cricket on a solo plan. $35/month. Is there another option that is cheaper and reliable for less then $35 including all taxes and fees? It must have att or Verizon coverage. FI would work but I'm not buying a special phone to use it. I use 500-1500mb a month.
    There's h2o, $27/month on autopay but I'm not sure if the phone connection is always as good as Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    There's h2o, $27/month on autopay but I'm not sure if the phone connection is always as good as Cricket.
    You only get 500 MB of data, not up to 1.5 GB which MobielBoost said he/she may use. For $7 more with Cricket you get five times the data allotment compared with H2o. Plus just use a referral when you join and you save $25 right off the bat. And of course you save an additional $25 for every person you refer, if you're in to that.

Feedback Score
    First of all you do know that Google Phi doesn't have anything to do with AT&T or Verizon don't you? So that's a contradiction right there, it uses sprint and tmobile which even combined don't come close to either one of the duopoly geographic coverage. The other missing piece from your post is - do you really need unlimited text and talk?

If not, and that up to 1.5 gigabyte of data is your main requirement, there would be dozens of MVNO's that would save you some money- and give you as good or better network service, crickets is actually bottom of the barrel in reality, their forte is large quantities for cheap, not quality of network signal.. But you do need to have an idea of how much text and talk you do actually use on average.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    there would be dozens of MVNO's that would save you some money- and give you as good or better network service, crickets is actually bottom of the barrel in reality, their forte is large quantities for cheap, not quality of network signal.
    Cricket is at the bottom of what barrel? What are the comparison criteria you're using to say that? And I thought Cricket's network signal was AT&T's network signal. Yes, it's throttled from AT&T, but signal strength should be identical, shouldn't it? Not challenging your thoughts, just trying to clarify possible misconceptions I might have about Cricket. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    Cricket is at the bottom of what barrel? What are the comparison criteria you're using to say that? And I thought Cricket's network signal was AT&T's network signal. Yes, it's throttled from AT&T, but signal strength should be identical, shouldn't it? Not challenging your thoughts, just trying to clarify possible misconceptions I might have about Cricket. Thanks!
    I'm not trying to disparage cricket here, for most use cases the lower quality of data signal does not impact the user experience. I was mainly responding to the idea expressed that cricket was somehow actually getting a better signal than other AT&T providers.

But the fact remains cricket is the only one where data is throttled, and they're ping latency can be bad enough to affect VoIP videoconferencing and gaming applications, depending on your network distance from the proxy servers. AT&T does this completely intentionally so that people that do need the higher quality data service will remain with their postpaid service or at least go phone.

You're absolutely right the strength of as in the ability for a phone to communicate with the tower is not affected - and this is true for the relationship between any mother ship carrier and its sub MVno

Feedback Score
    First of all you do know that Google Phi doesn't have anything to do with AT&T or Verizon don't you? So that's a contradiction right there, it uses sprint and tmobile which even combined don't come close to either one of the duopoly geographic coverage. The other missing piece from your post is - do you really need unlimited text and talk?

If not, and that up to 1.5 gigabyte of data is your main requirement, there would be dozens of MVNO's that would save you some money- and give you as good or better network service, crickets is actually bottom of the barrel in reality, their forte is large quantities for cheap, not quality of network signal.. But you do need to have an idea of how much text and talk you do actually use on average.
    I think sprint and T-Mobile combined would give me enough coverage. I'm in SE WI in a small town.

Text I can use a lot. I use Google voice and have WiFi at home and work. I do talk a lot though. I hit the 3 hour cut off a couple times a week that Google voice has.

I do want auto payments though. I've messed up and had my phone shut off when I'm in call before.

Feedback Score
    I'm not trying to disparage cricket here, for most use cases the lower quality of data signal does not impact the user experience. I was mainly responding to the idea expressed that cricket was somehow actually getting a better signal than other AT&T providers.

But the fact remains cricket is the only one where data is throttled, and they're ping latency can be bad enough to affect VoIP videoconferencing and gaming applications, depending on your network distance from the proxy servers. AT&T does this completely intentionally so that people that do need the higher quality data service will remain with their postpaid service or at least go phone.

You're absolutely right the strength of as in the ability for a phone to communicate with the tower is not affected - and this is true for the relationship between any mother ship carrier and its sub MVno
    Cricket on voice calls is excellent. H2o on voice calls has the other person saying what what what. Cricket is great.

Feedback Score
    If not, and that up to 1.5 gigabyte of data is your main requirement, there would be dozens of MVNO's that would save you some money- and give you as good or better network service ...... But you do need to have an idea of how much text and talk you do actually use on average.
    Would mind giving any examples, just a few of the obvious ones -- I didn't know there were these kind of options out there.

So if I needed If 300 minutes talk and 300 text and 1GB data, are there cheaper options than H2O's $27 plan w/autopay?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cricket on voice calls is excellent. H2o on voice calls has the other person saying what what what. Cricket is great.
    H20 and cricket use the same network
    Bye!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post
    H20 and cricket use the same network
    I know. But there are differences in how they perform for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander32 View Post
    Would mind giving any examples, just a few of the obvious ones -- I didn't know there were these kind of options out there.

So if I needed If 300 minutes talk and 300 text and 1GB data, are there cheaper options than H2O's $27 plan w/autopay?
    The one I use the most is Tracfone, who now has AT&T BYOP, any unlocked device. Costs about $30 to get started, $20 of which is airtime that goes into your account.

Note the biggest difference with tracfone compared to "normal" use it or lose it providers, is that everything you buy rolls over forever until you use it, as long as you keep your service end date pushed out into the future. For most usage patterns you will end up with many months, possibly years paid up in advance, so you're concern about getting cut off is taken care of very easily.

Figure a $4 base "access charge" per month, then texts are 1˘ each and data is $12.50 per gigabyte. The cost of carrier voice minutes is very low if you don't use many relative to text and data, possibly lower than 1˘ per minute.

People that use a lot more carrier Voice Minutes than text and data, pay 3 - 4˘ per minute, but it sounds like your usage pattern would not cause that.

So the example you gave me would be $4.00 + $3 + $3 + $12.50 equals $22.50. When you use 1.5 gigabytes per month which is the maximum you specified before, that jumps to $29

However note that if you have a low usage month, all of your units roll over to the following month, so in fact the above patterns could just be an average rather than a maximum.

Now I'm not saying tracfone is for everyone, there is a learning curve involved because they are different from the usual use it or lose it providers, but once you get a handle on it, you usually save a lot of money, and they have much fewer restrictions than many providers about what phones they will accept for BYOP.
    Last edited by HansCT; 08-24-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    I call bogus. There is no rational technical reason for anything like that to happen. For voice calls there's absolutely no difference between the network service or signal of the two providers. If you did experience something like this there was some other factor involved, like here location relative to the towers on the phone you're using or maybe something on the other end of the call or a placebo effect of some sort?

Feedback Score
    I do want auto payments though. I've messed up and had my phone shut off when I'm in call before.
    Forgot to mention, tracfone does have Auto refill, but these aren't really plans as such, they just automate the addition of airtime and service days on a schedule, disabling them when you have built up a big balance doesn't actually change anything as long as your service date is out in the future, all of your units sit there valid forever waiting for you to use them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast