Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: It's a Blackberry... It's a Droid... OMG IT'S BOTH.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post It's a Blackberry... It's a Droid... OMG IT'S BOTH.

Name:  bb-venice.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  43.1 KB

It's a BlackBerry, but it runs Android. It has a physical qwerty keypad, but Lollipop navigation buttons as well. It's the BlackBerry Venice Slider, and if rumours are to be believed, it's coming to your carrier before Christmas.

Famous phone leaker Evan Blass—who, for the record, was bang-on about Samsung's fall device launch—tweeted last night that the Venice would be available on all four US carriers come November. I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't be available in Canada as well. Specs for the device are rumoured to be as follows:

5.4 inch 2K display
    18 MP OIS rear camera (5 MP on the front)
    1.8 GHz Snapdragon 808 processor with 3 GB RAM
    Android Lollipop

Now I'm not a BlackBerry user myself, but I imagine the big draws for fans of the platform would be the inclusion of the familiar (and impressive) BlackBerry Hub, along with the opportunity to finally be treated as a first-class Android citizen thanks to Google Play services. And for those Android users still pining for a physical keyboard, this is very likely the device for you.

Are we excited about an Android-powered BlackBerry...?

Sources:

My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    It's sliding vertical instead of horizontal, kind of dumb.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    My fingers hurt remembering trying to use the way too small regular Blackberry keyboard, which I found I could only use accurately by angling my fingers just right and pressing the to-tiny keys with the edge of a fingrnail. In contrast, the slider keyboards Android had were a pain-free joy to use: these were all adequately sized, landscape format.

I feel a twinge of pain in my fingers looking at this, another Blackberry portrait format phone, and wonder why they didn't go with the far better landscape slider design. But I'm hoping this is a lot bigger than the old Blackberries, in which case there'd be no problems.

Looks like a great idea. We need more designs like this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Exactly, but it's still better than no keyboard at all.

Feedback Score
    Overall, a great idea. I'd much rather see Blackberry focus on making the best Android phones possible (including design advantages that the other companies have inexplicably chucked, like the keyboard here) rather than go off a cliff with the tiny, dying Blackberry app ecosystem.

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, this was expected and I hope well done. Much better keyboard than Samsung's beast of an add on for the Note, and with Blackberry backing it, it will have great support. Look forward to this one.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Are we sure it's Google Play and not Amazon? I know the screen shot shows a Play Store app icon but currently Blackberry is partnered with Amazon, so I would have expected the final release to feature the Amazon store. Which means all the content I've bought from Google would be money wasted?!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    The BlackJack had a really good keyboard. However as soon as I changed over to the iPhone, I got used to very lightly touching the screen and typing. When I tried a friend's Berry a few years later it was a very weird feeling because I adjusted to barely touching the keys and then had to readjust to hammering them with my thumbs again.

I'm hoping that with Android OS BlackBerry can get some market traction again.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5, iPhone SE, lG 290c, iPad mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I would buy this!

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Yup... it's sliding the wrong way.

Does this device give you the option to use BlackBerry OS or is it Android only?
    Although I find that Android is more user-friendly, I feel safer using BlackBerry OS (auto-wipe with too many lock screen attempts, encryption, etc).
    Motorola DPC 550, Mitsubishi G310, Panasonic A102, Motorola V60, Sony Ericsson W200, Sony Ericsson C510a, Motorola XT502, HTC Desire V, LG Optimus L9, Samsung T159, LG G2, Huawei U2801, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport SE (short lived), BlackBerry Passport (White), BlackBerry DTEK60 (short lived), BlackBerry Priv, Essential Phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    ...When I tried a friend's Berry a few years later it was a very weird feeling because I adjusted to barely touching the keys and then had to readjust to hammering them with my thumbs again.....
    Hopefully it will have the best of both worlds, such as was present on the old landscape slider phones: the current up-to-date touch on-screen keyboard was the "Default", unless the hardware slider keyboard was slid out and deployed.

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Hopefully it will have the best of both worlds, such as was present on the old landscape slider phones: the current up-to-date touch on-screen keyboard was the "Default", unless the hardware slider keyboard was slid out and deployed.
    It should have the option of using any Android on screen keyboard as well as the hard keys, up to the user to decide what he/she likes more. I like the hard keys, tougher and harder to make a mistake on.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzter View Post
    Are we sure it's Google Play and not Amazon? I know the screen shot shows a Play Store app icon but currently Blackberry is partnered with Amazon, so I would have expected the final release to feature the Amazon store. Which means all the content I've bought from Google would be money wasted?!
    You can side load apps onto any Android device. In fact it's required to gain full functionality on Android devices because Google does not allow several key apps to be distributed on the Play Store. Do you want Adobe Flash? It needs to be side-loaded. Ad-Block? Side-load. Amazon Apps store? Side-load.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    You can side load apps onto any Android device. In fact it's required to gain full functionality on Android devices because Google does not allow several key apps to be distributed on the Play Store. Do you want Adobe Flash? It needs to be side-loaded. Ad-Block? Side-load. Amazon Apps store? Side-load.
    Wonder why they blocked Flash?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would LOVE to have this to replace my Q10. My only concern would be a good case. I always put my phones in Otterbox cases. This one will be tricky to protect.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast