Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Being Discourage to Port to T-Mobile by ReSellers

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Being Discourage to Port to T-Mobile by ReSellers

Ok, I am tired of Verizon nickel and dime me for everything. I have an unlimited data plan and they want me off and will not let me get a new smartphone under their installment plan unless i move to a more expensive plan. I use about 15GB data a month. If I move to the plan they suggested, my cost would jump $40.00 a month not including the phone purchase plan.

So I have been going to Best Buy and even Costco kiosk to inquire about getting T-Mobile service since those stores offer some perks for getting service through them. (Costco offering $150.00 gift card with Galaxy Edge+ and 90 day return policy.) What I have found is the negative attitude towards T-Mobile. The sales person tries hard to discourage moving to T-Mobile. Why is this? Do they get more commission from Verizon since they are pushing them?

Feedback Score
    The hard fact is, verizon offers much better network coverage geographically than tmobile ever will. I would strongly advise testing TM coverage with a backup phone for a while in all the areas you travel before you give up that grandfathered unlimited service. Plus you should sell it it is worth something as Will Rogers used to say about land they're not making any more of it.

Why don't you pay full retail for a nice phone can use on that account never mind about them subsidizing anything! The Nexus 6 will work well wherever you go in the future

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also they don't make as much I believe since T-Mobile doesn't do contracts anymore. Last time I was at Best Buy they asked my who I had. I told them T-Mobile, and the sales rep pretty much walked away.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper933 View Post
    Ok, I am tired of Verizon nickel and dime me for everything. I have an unlimited data plan and they want me off and will not let me get a new smartphone under their installment plan unless i move to a more expensive plan. I use about 15GB data a month. If I move to the plan they suggested, my cost would jump $40.00 a month not including the phone purchase plan.

So I have been going to Best Buy and even Costco kiosk to inquire about getting T-Mobile service since those stores offer some perks for getting service through them. (Costco offering $150.00 gift card with Galaxy Edge+ and 90 day return policy.) What I have found is the negative attitude towards T-Mobile. The sales person tries hard to discourage moving to T-Mobile. Why is this? Do they get more commission from Verizon since they are pushing them?
    95%+ of people working in cell phone stores/kiosks have absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about. It varies onto the place as to the commission structure, but sometimes, yes, there will be extra on a specific carrier or phone, or a contest going on for selling a certain carrier or device. While that is a possibility, ignorance combined with willful prejudice based on said ignorance seems to be extremely pervasive throughout many of these companies. In any case, the best way to deal with these people is to say exactly what you want and tell them that they are going to do exactly that and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    The hard fact is, verizon offers much better network coverage geographically than tmobile ever will. I would strongly advise testing TM coverage with a backup phone for a while in all the areas you travel before you give up that grandfathered unlimited service. Plus you should sell it it is worth something as Will Rogers used to say about land they're not making any more of it.

Why don't you pay full retail for a nice phone can use on that account never mind about them subsidizing anything! The Nexus 6 will work well wherever you go in the future
    Please keep things relevant to the question OP asked, not something irrelevant to the topic. I'm sure OP is much more aware of things in his area than you are, and they have also been on here 10+ years longer than yourself, so ignorance is highly unlikely.

Feedback Score
    Maybe V is losing too many phone numbers. I ported over 4 numbers to TMO years ago. I couldn't stand V's marketing, billing and arrogance. I got fed up and moved even with no special deal. I can think of a few people with at least 4 lines who ported to Sprint. TMO is doing quite all right by us. I like unlocked phones anyway. V finally gave in on contract and subsidy so TMO and the others must have been annoying V.

Best Buy floor help isn't that informed anyway. I've heard plenty of miscues in the camera department and a few with computer peripherals.
    I'm surprised no one pushed the iPhone on you. Local store does have Android and some Windows phones, but 90% of accessories are iPhone.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    Maybe V is losing too many phone numbers. I ported over 4 numbers to TMO years ago. I couldn't stand V's marketing, billing and arrogance. I got fed up and moved even with no special deal. I can think of a few people with at least 4 lines who ported to Sprint. TMO is doing quite all right by us. I like unlocked phones anyway. V finally gave in on contract and subsidy so TMO and the others must have been annoying V.

Best Buy floor help isn't that informed anyway. I've heard plenty of miscues in the camera department and a few with computer peripherals.
    I'm surprised no one pushed the iPhone on you. Local store does have Android and some Windows phones, but 90% of accessories are iPhone.
    May I ask did you port your lines at a corporate store or through a place like Besy Buy or Costco? If through BB or Costco, how was the experience?

Costco or Best Buy did not push me to the iPhone. They were pushing the S6 Edge and Note 4. Surpised they did not push the S6+ or Note 5. I am sure they were clueless about them.

I decided to do the 7 day trial, then make my decision on Porting.

Feedback Score
    Plus you should sell it it is worth something as Will Rogers used to say about land they're not making any more of it.
    you can't transfer unlimited verizon lines anymore..... (or easily do it)

will have to keep Verizon unlimited line under OP's name and receive money monthly from whoever wants to "rent' the line

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    Please keep things relevant to the question OP asked, not something irrelevant to the topic. I'm sure OP is much more aware of things in his area than you are, and they have also been on here 10+ years longer than yourself, so ignorance is highly unlikely.
    Sorry are you a mod? What do you think I posted that is not relevant to the OP?

And I just base my answers on the question asked most of the time don't even look to see who it is I have no idea who's been here a long time, nor who knows what , unless it is implied in their post. And I will continue to do that - if it offends you just ignore me and move on thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    They gonna have a problem once verizon, sprint and att completely drop contracts

via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The hard fact is, verizon offers much better network coverage geographically than tmobile ever will.
    You never know Hans? A huge investor like Comcast and the purchase of a large swatch of low band spectrum + an acquisition could change the game. Wireless coverage isn't static.

For the moment yes Verizon does offer more geographic coverage here in the US.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ... I would strongly advise testing TM coverage with a backup phone for a while in all the areas you travel before you give up that grandfathered unlimited service....
    I'm going to agree with HansCT here. If you have Verizon now, I strongly urge you to take T-Mobile's free 7-day test-drive before changing, particularly before giving up a Verizon UDP. If you are in Tennessee, understand that CSpire owns the 700A MHz license there, so you will be limited to mid-band (PCS & AWS) service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    95%+ of people working in cell phone stores/kiosks have absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about.
    Well, they know what earns them a commission and what does not. They will always steer a customer toward something that makes them money.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've noticed this too. I was at Best Buy a couple months ago and a customer was inquiring about T-Mobile and their plans, and two sales people came over and started trash talking T-Mobile.. "They're so bad.", "You'll never have service." "They're the worst" "You shouldn't consider them".

To be honest, T-Mobile's actually the fastest in our area. (Except for the few towers that are still Edge).

This negative stigma people have for T-Mobile is ridiculous and I don't understand it. Most of them haven't even tried the network. People just don't want to change their thinking.

Oh well, what can ya do?

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    As someone who worked at a national retailer before (RadioShack) commission totally comes into play. While Best Buy employees don't recieve direct commission, they do share in an end of the month commission. At RadioShack, we sold Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T, amd it was totally to the stores advantage to sell Sprint. It usually paid higher (sign someone up and sold a $650 phone for $200, but it rang up as a $900 sale on the back end. Thats $250 profit). If you are paid on profit, you want to A. Sell the highest margin and B. Sell the one with the least amount of chargebacks (cancellations). I have no doubt that they probably witness a lot of chargebacks on T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    "May I ask did you port your lines at a corporate store or through a place like Besy Buy or Costco? If through BB or Costco, how was the experience?

Costco or Best Buy did not push me to the iPhone. They were pushing the S6 Edge and Note 4. Surpised they did not push the S6+ or Note 5. I am sure they were clueless about them.

I decided to do the 7 day trial, then make my decision on Porting. "

I ported 9 years ago. I got informed by customer service in a set-in that I HAD to answer the phone. I didn't like the business of putting a hold on your debit card after you submitted payment. It also seemed like I had more choice with a GSM carrier, anyway. I have a liking for different unlocked phones. Car Toys ported for me. I also didn't want or need data at the time.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To the OP... Where are you using your phone(s)? TMo may or may not work well depending on your location and where you plan on using it. I ported to TMobile on June 1 in SoCal over the phone. I know that service is great whee I am before I ported, so there were no issues for me.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast