Thread: Going to Newfoundland later this year... need advice please

Feedback Score

Going to Newfoundland later this year... need advice please

so, I guess Wind has no service out in NL, and I'm going to be out there for a couple weeks.... Anyone know what carrier I can get perhaps a 1 month plan (calls and data)? I have a Note 3 (bought from Wind) and I had it unlocked earlier this year when I went overseas. I can't seem to figure out which carrier (if any) out there is on the AWS frequency.

Also, around the same time, my contract will be up, and am also considering looking into other options

thanks in advance for any advice

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would assume there is a Rogers and/ or telus network for you to roam on...no?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score

Going to Newfoundland later this year... need advice please

Quote Originally Posted by trainerKEN View Post
    so, I guess Wind has no service out in NL, and I'm going to be out there for a couple weeks.... Anyone know what carrier I can get perhaps a 1 month plan (calls and data)? I have a Note 3 (bought from Wind) and I had it unlocked earlier this year when I went overseas. I can't seem to figure out which carrier (if any) out there is on the AWS frequency.

Also, around the same time, my contract will be up, and am also considering looking into other options

thanks in advance for any advice
    Your Note 3 should be able to roam on most networks in Canada. Check the frequencies it supports, or call Rogers, Bell or Telus and ask if their NL network would support your phone to confirm.

You don't say how much data you think you need or where you are going in NL. That would help with anyone giving advice.

As already reported above, Bell/Telus and Rogers have service in NL, so if you are Wind pay before, make sure you have funds in your account or a credit card attached. If Wind pay after, be aware of the sticker shock you might get for roaming.

Eastlink is the other new entrant for the Maritimes if you want to try them. Your Wind phone should work fine but Eastlink doesn't have much for their own towers but they roam on Rogers and Bell. Don't know if they have a different roaming rate than Wind, if the same, why use Eastlink at all? Add up the cost for sim, plan and roaming and would that be more than roaming on Wind?

Edit: Eastlink doesn't have many towers in NL. They are mostly NS based, with more in PEI and then some in NB. NL and northern ON only have one or a few towers.

Bell/Telus is supposed to have the better network in NL. Rogers is mostly in the larger cities. Best to check the tower maps to see which is the better carrier for where you are going to.

If you are roaming, best for you to look up ways of turning off apps that consume data. Lots of settings on an iPhone to do that. Not sure on Android, Windows or Blackberry how to do that. The less data you use, the less your roaming costs.

As to switching, you have to look at whether you want to stay on Wind or switch to another carrier. Wind is getting full control of additional AWS-1 bandwidth by the end of the year and that will be translated into an LTE network to compliment their current HSPA network later this year or early next.

If Wind isn't working for you, you need to determine what Wind is lacking. Coverage area, speed, phones, special perks and price are the usual factors in choosing what is best for your plan. Pick your top priorities and that will lead you to the better carrier for your needs.

Mobilicity is switching to Rogers later this year but reportedly will remain on HSPA or 3G only. Koodo has a promotion but you should look it up in that forum for details.

Good luck on your decision.

Via HoFo App on an iPhone 5S
    Last edited by ABWagner; 08-25-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Feedback Score
    As noted above, check the coverage maps and then your phone should work with tells/bell and Rogers.

Coverage is spotty depending on your carrier, like in cornerbrook Rogers barely get reception but telus is good.

Most carriers have a pay as you go if you don't need much in the way of data and just some basic service assuming you want to go back to wind. If you aren't using your phone much what about just roaming with wind?

You could get both telus or Rogers for roaming so might be able to get the best coverage. I'd turn off data if you were to roam so would there be wifi access?

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djino View Post
    I would assume there is a Rogers and/ or telus network for you to roam on...no?
    Rogers has extremely limited coverage; I wouldn't count on it even on walking trails around St. John's. You can lose service just walking between Signal Hill to Quidi Vidi Lake.

Bell (and I assume Telus) despite having much better coverage than Rogers, is pretty damn spotty or completely missing more than 200m off Highway 1.

If you intend to leave the paved areas to hike Newfoundland, take a sat phone. I also highly recommend the East Coast Trail.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just buy a local prepay SIM and use it instead
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    20 cents a minute to do voice roaming in Newfoundland; 5 cents a kB (i.e. $50/GB). If you keep your data usage at a reasonable level (e.g. don't use it for video streaming) it shouldn't cost you a ridiculous sum.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.