WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wind takes on Rogers, Bell and Telus with new data sharing option

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/08/27/wi...haring-option/

Wind takes on Rogers, Bell and Telus with new data sharing option

Name:  windmobile-e1371668154921.png
Views: 2631
Size:  329.0 KB

Earlier this week, Wind Mobile launched a new optional add-on for all of its existing smartphone plans.

For $9 per month, Wind is now offering a “Data Share” option that allows customers to use the data included in their smartphone plan with other connected devices.

In essence, the add-on allows Wind customers to purchase additional SIM cards and connect them to their smartphone’s data plan. “The data share plan is about using data on accompanying connected devices, including tablets, laptops and children’s phones, and sharing your Wind plan with them,” according to a Wind representative.

Name:  Screen-Shot-2015-08-26-at-11_08_14-AM-1024x400.png
Views: 1507
Size:  100.9 KB

The add-on puts Wind in a similar position to Rogers, Bell and Telus, which have been offering shared data options since mid-2013. Customers on those carriers can spend $10 per month to use their smartphone data with a tablet; Wind’s version doesn’t seem to be limited to just tablets, but any device with a SIM slot.

Considering even Wind’s least expensive plan with data comes with 2 gigabytes per month, this will surely be a popular add-on for many of the carrier’s customers.

djino

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now you can have 2 devices that won't connect faster than 128K!

Considering a tab SIM is $99 per year, why would anyone want to pay +$9 on monthly bill anyways?
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    Now you can have 2 devices that won't connect faster than 128K!
    LMAO

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Does the US roaming option apply to all lines, or if not, can it be added separately?
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Feedback Score
    This article clearly shows mobile syrup sucks up to the carriers. I don't know how anyone can get excited over paying more for the same usage. The share everything data offers an opportunity for the carriers to make more money without providing more service. As already noted, it is cheaper to buy the $100 data plan.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    As already noted, it is cheaper to buy the $100 data plan.
    Although there may not be much of a difference to many, but to be clear, the $100 data kit provides 1GB monthly for 12 months. If you exceed the 1GB within a month, you are charged $10/GB overage.

The $9/month add-on would provide Unlimited Usage (no overage charge) with the Fair Usage cap on the Voice plan being shared.

djino

Device(s)
    N5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    anyone know if you can activate really old sim cards that have never been used.

when i signed up they gave me a sim card, when i bought my HTC amaze from them later on they gave me a new sim card but we never activated it because the old one worked fine.

i still have it wrapped in that little plastic envelope stuck inside of a credit card sized piece of plastic.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruden View Post
    anyone know if you can activate really old sim cards that have never been used.

when i signed up they gave me a sim card, when i bought my HTC amaze from them later on they gave me a new sim card but we never activated it because the old one worked fine.

i still have it wrapped in that little plastic envelope stuck inside of a credit card sized piece of plastic.
    It has been WIND's policy that they do not activate sim cards that have been previously activated.

djino

Device(s)
    N5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djino View Post
    It has been WIND's policy that they do not activate sim cards that have been previously activated.

djino
    well the sim was never activated they said "its policy that you get a new sim card when you buy a phone but you already have a sim card from when you signed up so heres this one incase you need a new one later on"

was never directly paid for as it came with a device and was never activated as i had a working one already setup.

mind you this is from when the HTC amaze came out years ago.. might be too old now to use.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruden View Post
    well the sim was never activated they said "its policy that you get a new sim card when you buy a phone but you already have a sim card from when you signed up so heres this one incase you need a new one later on"

was never directly paid for as it came with a device and was never activated as i had a working one already setup.

mind you this is from when the HTC amaze came out years ago.. might be too old now to use.
    The sim will still work. You would just need to activate it.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djino View Post
    Although there may not be much of a difference to many, but to be clear, the $100 data kit provides 1GB monthly for 12 months. If you exceed the 1GB within a month, you are charged $10/GB overage.

The $9/month add-on would provide Unlimited Usage (no overage charge) with the Fair Usage cap on the Voice plan being shared.

djino
    Most of the new plans are the only ones compatible with the share option
    So you get a "new" Wind plan (already $10 more than before & with 2GB or 3GB data, maybe 5GB on promo) then spend ANOTHER $9 to share this until it drops down to 128k

Again this seems like a pointless addon to me...

(although to be fair I always thought the big3 addon just as pointless)

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Fed up with constantly paying through the nose for going over my 6 gig cap on Fido, I'm going to massage this $9 plan into another data bucket for me today. My wife is a Wind customer (who rarely uses more than a gig or so every month), so I'm going to grab a second SIM, am purchasing one of the old Huawei hotspots they used to sell, and will use it as my own personal roaming data hotspot when I'm within the Wind coverage zone.

Unfortunately my work route takes me from Oshawa to about an hour east of Peterborough (and then back) daily so I will eventually fall out of their coverage zone, however while I'm in it I'll consume Wind data instead of my Fido data, and I can fallback on the Fido data at that point.

Along with the 10 gig premium data package this will effectively give me another 7 gigs or so every month for $19..instead of the $40-$50 month extra I'm currently getting screwed for by Fido.
    HoFo'er for 14 years and counting.

Quality, Not Quantity.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    Most of the new plans are the only ones compatible with the share option
    So you get a "new" Wind plan (already $10 more than before & with 2GB or 3GB data, maybe 5GB on promo) then spend ANOTHER $9 to share this until it drops down to 128k

Again this seems like a pointless addon to me...

(although to be fair I always thought the big3 addon just as pointless)
    Anyone try this with the old holiday miracle plan?

Also, does anyone know if this would work with cell phones with two sim cards , one sim providing voice, the other providing data ?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gabuser View Post
    Anyone try this with the old holiday miracle plan?

Also, does anyone know if this would work with cell phones with two sim cards , one sim providing voice, the other providing data ?
    As mentioned, the data sharing option only works with the new $39 plan and the current plans. Any grandfathered plan will not see the add-on option.

This would result in 2 sim cards. 1 sim card has the Voice/Data and the 2nd sim card as the Data only.

djino

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Bummer, called today and discovered we are not on an eligible plan. CSR also seemed confused about exactly *what* the data share option was all about and insisted that I would need a second entire line (not just a data-only device) in order to get the data shared onto the second device. Doesn't seem like that's actually the case, but I wasn't willing to switch to a more expensive plan and then add stuff on top of that in order to get this all to begin with, it'd be moot as it would end up costing nearly the same amount as an entire second Wind line to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast