Thread: PSA: Stopping Network Abusers

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

attention data hogs and people who tethering

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29777...ta-thiefs.html

I Think it is a great idea because of a few, everybody will lose.

Feedback Score

PSA: Stopping Network Abusers

Well there you have it folks... It was a matter of time.

Stopping Network Abusers: An Open Letter to T-Mobile Customers

However, these violators are going out of their way with all kinds of workarounds to steal more LTE tethered data. They’re downloading apps that hide their tether usage, rooting their phones, writing code to mask their activity, etc. They are “hacking” the system to swipe high speed tethered data. These aren't naive amateurs; they are clever hackers who are willfully stealing for their own selfish gain. It’s a small group – 1/100 of a percent of our 59 million customers – but some of them are using as much as 2 terabytes (2,000GB!) of data in a month. I’m not sure what they are doing with it – stealing wireless access for their entire business, powering a small cloud service, providing broadband to a small city, mining for bitcoin -- but I really don’t care!

Why is T-Mobile doing this?

These rule-breakers can compromise the network experience for other T-Mobile customers by violating our terms and conditions in this way—we won’t let that happen.

Source

FAQs

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    And thus it begins.
    Donald Newcomb

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How can you steal something you're paying for? T-Mobile is obviously letting success go to their heads, this sounds like a "carrier" move in every way. I knew there was some cracked plaster beneath all of that gleaming magenta. Oh, by the way, John, rooting is legal, perhaps you forgot, or maybe you're just the same as those CEO'S you love to criticize. The facade is starting to crumble, and the almost cult like atmosphere is starting to smell a bit.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How can you steal something you're paying for? T-Mobile is obviously letting success go to their heads, this sounds like a "carrier" move in every way. I knew there was some cracked plaster beneath all of that gleaming magenta. Oh, by the way, John, rooting is legal, perhaps you forgot, or maybe you're just the same as those CEO'S you love to criticize. The facade is starting to crumble, and the cult like atmosphere is starting to smell of noxious odors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    How can you steal something you're paying for? T-Mobile is obviously letting success go to their heads, this sounds like a "carrier" move in every way. I knew there was some cracked plaster beneath all of that gleaming magenta. Oh, by the way, John, rooting is legal, perhaps you forgot, or maybe you're just the same as those CEO'S you love to criticize. The facade is starting to crumble, and the almost cult like atmosphere is starting to smell a bit.
    Who is paying for 2 terabytes of tethering? I must have missed that plan.

Feedback Score
    Wrong. They are not paying to tether 2TB of data. In most cases they're not paying to tether more than 7gb. Nobody has the right to tether unless their plan includes some sort of tethering option. He also did not say rooting was illegal, he was simply pointing out one of the avenues used to evade contractual tethering limits.

Feedback Score
    How can you steal something you're paying for? T-Mobile is obviously letting success go to their heads, this sounds like a "carrier" move in every way. I knew there was some cracked plaster beneath all of that gleaming magenta. Oh, by the way, John, rooting is legal, perhaps you forgot, or maybe you're just the same as those CEO'S you love to criticize. The facade is starting to crumble, and the cult like atmosphere is starting to smell of noxious odors.
    Who is paying for 2 TB of of tethering? I must have missed that plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Aren't we being a little dramatic here?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Didn't you post this exact same message in the other thread? Being a little dramatic aren't we?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Chances are, you're probably not paying to tether more than 7GB. Not paying for service: kinda looks like stealing.
    Personal bests:

Sprint // $70 Unlimited + iPhone Forever
    Apple iPhone 6s (Sprint)

[Formerly] Verizon Wireless // More Everything™ 10GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW) | Motorola DROID RAZR M
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1119949246.png
    T-Mobile // Simple Choice Prepaid Unlimited
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW)
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1146406371.png

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Moto X 2013, Droid Razr M
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Like everyone else said, tethering 2TB of data over a wireless network is abuse.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Life in the Fast Lane

Feedback Score
    Yes absolutely 100% agree, and in my book the level would be way way below the terabyte 1

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If they know when people are abusing their tethering allotment, why not automatically slow down their data?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At least there i no such issue with tettering unlimited data.You can add hotspot for 29.99 a month or place it in hotspot device

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast