Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA: Stopping Network Abusers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE92 View Post
    So are you guys saying that as long as my unlimited data is accessed via the actual handset, I can stream TV day and night?

So it’s ok for me to use 3TB for example, via this non-teether method?
    Yes. This policy is only targeting the 3,000 people who deliberately bypassed the 7GB high-speed tethering limit. You can still even use as much as you want while tethering. They're only targeting people who circumvented the high-speed limit.

Feedback Score
    People either have no clue or are playing dumb about just how much more quickly you can use data while tethering than while on your smartphone. OK, so you stream HD Netflix on your phone, that's cool. Are you also downloading all of your Steam and PS4 updates, syncing a 1TB file system to Dropbox, and seeding a complete season of Psyche in Blu-Ray quality?

If not, then you have no clue just how much more data people can use tethering and that's not even the worst case scenario for T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    So are you guys saying that as long as my unlimited data is accessed via the actual handset, I can stream TV day and night?

So it’s ok for me to use 3TB for example, via this non-teether method?
    Well it would be quite difficult to use 3TB in a month even streaming TV day and night. I think HD Netflix uses about 3GB per hour so that would get you maybe 2.1TB in 30 days. But if that's your goal in life, have at it. If their technology doesn't detect you tethering, they permit that usage via the handset.

Feedback Score
    So 4TB via the handset is ok, but 1TB via tethering is bad.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well Android does have an app for your phone were you can run DNS, Email, FTP, Load Balancing servers, and up to 60 other servers.

On another note I'd used apps in the past were T-Mobile had falsely identified mobile usuage as tether usuage. I bet that they have done the same to others to. Just login to your My T-Mobile account and see if your hotspot usuage has gone up. Even though you haven't tethered.

T-Mobile uses packet sniffers to indetify what data you are using. For example use Firefox, with plugin called Phony. Which let's you use desktop mode on your mobile. T-Mobile will then identify all you data usuage as tethering. Is it right, well no.

What I'm try to say is that it's not an exact science. Like others have stated some other apps trigger the same usuage pattern. Where innocent users will be picked off. Also it's up to 2tb, not that all those user have used that much. Also I believe the 2tb used to be the hard limit of data you could use, unless they have increased it.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    So 4TB via the handset is ok, but 1TB via tethering is bad.
    Sure, but I see what you are doing. Trying to take the conversation to the absurd to cover for your inability to understand the issue.

To keep you from wasting more time. Any data on the handset is ok. Tethering more than you are permitted is not.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    If you use dolphin browser on your phone it always shows as tethering for some reason

via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Yes. This policy is only targeting the 3,000 people who deliberately bypassed the 7GB high-speed tethering limit. You can still even use as much as you want while tethering. They're only targeting people who circumvented the high-speed limit.
    It's hard to believe only 3000 bypassed the 7GB tethering limit
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I'm sure more than 3,000 have passed it. They are only concerned with the 3,000 most egregious users which is great for the vast millions of T-Mobile customers that will be left alone.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Not really. Only a small percentage of t-mobile customers are on unlimited. And of those the vast majority use less than 10-20GB a month. And even less use the hotspot often, and even less use it enough to hit 7GB and even less would be dishonest as to skirt the tethering restrictions. And even less would use their skirted restrictions to excess.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I'm sure more than 3,000 have passed it. They are only concerned with the 3,000 most egregious users which is great for the vast millions of T-Mobile customers that will be left alone.
    Yeah, I don't think they will bug someone using 10GB, but I could see 25 or 50+

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure a few of the 3,000 will swear up and down that they aren't tethering past 7GB.

I dropped unlimited, I have no use for it.. it's too much for me with Music Freedom. Without, I'd probably have it.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So someone just asked John on Periscope that no way 3000 people are using 2tb of data. John replied yeah, but we're going after 3000 people this week. So who really knows how much data people used that they're going after.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

PSA: Stopping Network Abusers

There are various ways one could detect illicit tethering. I wonder how they are actually doing it.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were looking for the traffic signatures of a Windows machine or Mac connecting to a new network connection. That way even if the user immediately initiates a VPN, one would have a hope of detecting tethering. If I were seriously thinking about this, I might start there. If so, some packet filtering could be a workaround.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmplus View Post
    Sure, but I see what you are doing. Trying to take the conversation to the absurd to cover for your inability to understand the issue.

To keep you from wasting more time. Any data on the handset is ok. Tethering more than you are permitted is not.
    How about 5TB or 10TB that is strictly not tethered, though, accessed on an “unlimited” plan, that we have paid extra for? I will make any bet that such usage via the actual handset will also be considered “abuse”. I do not use anymore than 10GB but it’s the point, don;t offer something and sell it under the guise of being different and honest, only to pull a fast one. It looks like the FCC has to start looking into T-Mobile and slapping them with a lot more fines.

Then again, this is nothing new for T-mobile. They have managed to convince genius American consumers that handset subsidies, in return for commitment to a carrier are bad. Whereas, paying MSRP is like totally awesome - kicks leg in the air. Carriers now get to pocket all the revenue, with no risk, while claiming that we are receiving a great deal. The fact that Verizon jumped on this proves that it’s a **** deal for the consumer.

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast