Thread: Reception Comparison

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile; Verizon
    Feedback Score

Reception Comparison

Has anyone used the iPhone and then used the S6/Note5 or the other way around? I've been using the iPhone 6 Plus and have had the Note 5 since launch. I have to say I'm amazed in how much stronger the reception is on the Note 5 compared to the iPhone. I'm not even talking about the band 12 ability but rather the reception in band 4 areas. The note shows more bars and yes, I even checked the actual field test/service mode and noticed the note having at times almost a stronger signal by almost 10. For example, the iPhone would have maybe -118 and the Note 5 might have -108 or -110. I've noticed in areas where the note can make data connections where the iPhone stalled out. I honestly wouldn't have thought there would've been that big of a difference since they're both high end devices. Anyone else had the ability to compare?
    Join In

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    iPhones typically don't get as good of reception as some of their Android competitors.
    Nexus 6 - 64 GB - Midnight Blue
    Nexus 4 - 16 GB - Black
    Nexus 9 - 32 GB - Black
    And my first: Samsung Galaxy Craptivate.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have read a few people complain that owned both the iPhone 6/6+ and the Samsung Note 4 comment that their Note 4 was much better at getting reception than their iPhone 6/6+ in the same location on T-Mobile. I haven't had a iPhone since the famous Antenna-Gate with the iPhone 4 that would drop calls if you didn't hold the phone such that you didn't touch the two outer metal rings that were the Antenna.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile; Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I hope the new iPhones have better reception. Although, I'm doubting it. Lol. Yeah, I was really amazed on how much better the Samsungs hold on to signal better on T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    My Nexus 6 seems to have really good reception. Motorola knows their radios.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I posted a thread a while ago to note the same but it was disregarded. iPhone 6 has below average reception. My S6 is consistently anywhere from 3-12RSRP lower than the iPhone 6 WITHOUT B12 coverage

For even better reception than the S6? The LG Leon
    Bye!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post
    I posted a thread a while ago to note the same but it was disregarded. iPhone 6 has below average reception. My S6 is consistently anywhere from 3-12RSRP lower than the iPhone 6 WITHOUT B12 coverage

I'm noticing the same thing but only on T-Mobile. Could it be the carrier updates that are causing the problem on the iPhone 6?

The iPhone works differently on AT&T. On AT&T if I do bump down to 4G in a LTE area I can toggle the Data Roaming button off then on and LTE will come back. This same trick doesn't work on my T-Mobile iPhone 6.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    I'm noticing the same thing but only on T-Mobile. Could it be the carrier updates that are causing the problem on the iPhone 6?

The iPhone works differently on AT&T. On AT&T if I do bump down to 4G in a LTE area I can toggle the Data Roaming button off then on and LTE will come back. This same trick doesn't work on my T-Mobile iPhone 6.
    It may be related to mid-band performance, AT&T has 850 MHz and band 17.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You may want to toggle airplane mode before checking the RSRP on the iPhone, as it doesn't seem to update that value very often.
    - Galaxy S10 (T-Mobile / 128GB / Black)
    Twitter | Homepage

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post

I'm going to have to get a Note5 to see if that makes the difference indoors. I'll give two examples.

1. Where I live is on the NE end of the small town I live (Chester, IL) that is extremely spread out for a town its size. At home there are places inside where I drop to EDGE on the 5S. If the gap is that wide I could hold LTE throughout the house without having to call for a signal booster. I really wish T-Mobile would shift to LTE small cells for in the home like the new Alcatel Lucent small cell that people talk about but that's a different topic altogether.
    2. The Walmart not far from where I live is currently a place where I drop EDGE indoors. It's a thick brick and metal building that sits in a depression, as the terrain here is very hilly. That also drops me to EDGE indoors. It would be interesting to see how differently the Note5 behaves.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    .......If the gap is that wide I could hold LTE throughout the house without having to call for a signal booster......
    Can you use WiFi Calling in your house?
    ...The Walmart not far from where I live is currently a place where I drop EDGE indoors...
    I was somewhat perplexed as to why I had a fairly good T-Mobile 3G signal inside the local Walmart when there's only a poor signal outside, until I realized that they sell T-Mobile as Walmart Family Mobile and must have a picocell in electronics so that the service will work there. (That's my theory anyway.)

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Can you use WiFi Calling in your house?
    I was somewhat perplexed as to why I had a fairly good T-Mobile 3G signal inside the local Walmart when there's only a poor signal outside, until I realized that they sell T-Mobile as Walmart Family Mobile and must have a picocell in electronics so that the service will work there. (That's my theory anyway.)
    I do use WiFi calling in the house, it is a godsend. I just wanted to illustrate to people the signal range and terrain affecting signal. I can still get speeds of close to 20 Mbps down 1 Mbps up in most of the house but there's a few places like in the middle of the house where I can drop to EDGE.

There's no Family Mobile on sale at this Walmart so no picocell, unfortunately. I suspect I could hold LTE in most of the Walmart if I had a Note5 or better RF device. I'm just not able to prove it yet.