Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Temporary switch to T-Mobile for one month foreign travel?

Feedback Score

Temporary switch to T-Mobile for one month foreign travel?

We're going to Europe and we are on Verizon. I'm wondering if its feasible to switch to T-Mobile for one month simply to take advantage of their international calling plan. Verizon's is very stingy. Anyone had any experience doing this???

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post
    We're going to Europe and we are on Verizon. I'm wondering if its feasible to switch to T-Mobile for one month simply to take advantage of their international calling plan. Verizon's is very stingy. Anyone had any experience doing this???
    All Verizon 4G LTE devices are factory unlocked so that part is easy, just get sims.

What I'm not sure about is if T-Mobile will let you roam for a whole month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Feedback Score
    Long-term t-mobile customers have reported being able to roam overseas for many months at a time, I seem to recall someone saying the limit might be 6 months. However they may very well only offer such generosity two people that have been customers for some time starting right off in your first month I think there very well may be more stringent limits.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    if phones are unlocked. maybe is better to get european sims.

Feedback Score
    I doubt that it would be worth it to drop VZ then open a T-Mobile account for a month. The TM Simple choice plans start at $50 for the first line, and $30 for the second to have the Euro roaming and calls. When you return, if you decide to go back to VZ, won't you have an activation fee, or will VZ let you port in with some perks? It used to be that you had to be away for 6 months to qualify for new customer benefits, to prevent artificial churning.

Or, you can be cheap like me. I have a Brother In Law with a T-Mobile Family Simple Choice North America plan. On this plan, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines are $10 each plus taxes. He lets me have a line on his service at cost, which is $12.34 per month for unlimited talk, text, and 1 Gb of data. I keep this line year round, and then add another line for my wife when we travel abroad. We are going to China & Japan in a few days, then the Caribbean in Dec. and to Europe in the Spring. Find a friend, relative, or co-worker and set up the same type deal with them. This way I know I have service just about anywhere I'm interested in going, and it's working the moment I arrive, no hassles. I can call forward my home and ATT line when I leave the US, since I know what my overseas number will be.

What countries are you visiting and want service for?

Feedback Score
    Sure, you can do that. Or even easier you can just open a new line for one month for $50, use the SIM, and then cancel when the month is up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I just came back. T-Mobile 2g is slow. Best to get local sim. For example I bought on eBay "three.co.uk" sim for 20 pounds and had unlimited 3G and 4G data. Good for free roaming in 18 countries. Works great with Citymapper app etc. the sim is shipped to you so you just pop in your phone when the plane lands

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    I just came back. T-Mobile 2g is slow. Best to get local sim. For example I bought on eBay "three.co.uk" sim for 20 pounds and had unlimited 3G and 4G data. Good for free roaming in 18 countries. Works great with Citymapper app etc. the sim is shipped to you so you just pop in your phone when the plane lands
    It might be slow but it is very usable. I have used Simple Choice roaming across numerous continents without issue. If someone spends all their time overseas in one country, of course getting a local SIM may be the best option (I have SIMs for nearly every country in central Europe), but if one spends a few days in one country, then moves to the next, T-Mobile roaming can't be beat for web, email, maps, etc.

Feedback Score
    We are travelling to Nethrlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and Switzerland. Really probably only need the data while we're biking along the Danube: Germany, Austria, Hungary and Slovakia. And, then really for cell phone mapping. But, multiple sim cards seems daunting. I'm assuming that if I signed up for T-Mobile and didn't quit my Verizon service, that it would be there a month later.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    pot calling the kettle black- who is the miser ? You are not porting the number so you do not need to keep the same #. In Europe you can get good deals on prepaid with lots of data/minutes- cheap.

IMO, this is a misuse of privilege that the co. affords to their REAL customers. It costs the co. money and you are basically getting paid by the co. for using it only abroad for one month, LITERALLY !

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Is it unreasonable for you to port to T-Mobile permanently?

Feedback Score
    Ah! Yes, one shouldn't look for good deals. When I called T-Mobile, they seemed to happy to oblige. My experience in Europe has been that I could only find one sim card per country. Which obviously leaves gaps when I'm bicycling.

Feedback Score
    I think it's too funny when the company itself is all too happy to let people do something, but then it's white knight defenders jump in and say it's wrong , taking advantage of the poor carrier, as if they haven't put hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of management attention and lawyers into a program before releasing it to the public. If t-mobile let you do it go ahead and do it even if its only for one month your conscience is clear...

Feedback Score
    Frankly, I suspect T-Mobile would be happy to do this with the thought we might just move permanently from Verizon to T-Mobile after testing the service out at our house. Which I would be willing to do if service is good at the house and around town.

Feedback Score
    I also have the impression that TM is glad to have the business, regardless of where it's used. Just like them loaning you a phone for a week at no charge to test coverage.

Artshotwell,

I will assume that when you said "We" you implied that there is more than one going on the trip. The advantage to the buddy system on TM I described is, you don't need to spend a lot to get everyone included. It's nice to have enough data speed for mapping, and $.20 (Each) phone calls amongst your party or locally. I've used a variety of systems travelling, and this works the best for me. I also take along my iPad with a KeepGo data sim for 3G data. It's $65 for 1Gb, and lasts a year before it expires. If you add to it, it extends the expiration for another year, and adds the new data to the old.

By the time you pay for your flight, hotel, and meals, this is chump change. The convenience and reliability is what I favor. I know that every trip I take, I already have the cell side of it set up.

My primary line is AT&T, but with all the perks TM has, I'll probably switch in a year or two if they keep building the coverage out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast