Thread: CDMA decommissioning update?

Device(s)
    Nexus of sorts.
    Feedback Score

CDMA decommissioning update?

Hey all,

Just wondering if there's been any updates/news on the CDMA decommissioning that was supposed to be happening in 2015. Anyone have any news on this? Is there a conversion from CDMA to HSPA/LTE on existing towers planned, or is it just a shutdown of the old network?

I ask, because I live in a relatively weak HSPA/LTE area in my town and there is a Telus CDMA tower within eyesight of my back deck... I'm really hoping Telus plans to switch it to HSPA/LTE vs. shutting it down all together. Been hoping for this since 2012

Feedback Score
    Where do you live? As far as I know, EV-DO is already shut down, and 1xRTT (which uses very little spectrum) is nearly shut down as well. The freed-up spectrum will be re-deployed to LTE, either by TELUS or Bell depending on the location.

Feedback Score
    works fine for me .. EVDO working fine . telus would of sent me a notice - in calgary that is

Feedback Score
    EVDO only shut down in rural areas.
    Still up and running in city centres.

Feedback Score
    ^There hasn't been EVDO in Metro Vancouver for atleast 6 or more months.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    More like a year according to the KRZR k1m my mom was using for a long time in Richmond BC( but no more). The Ev-DO icon has disappeared for that long. I think it was held out longer in Calgary, but not everywhere cities.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Feedback Score
    ^ Yep which is why I said 6 or more months because I don't remember the exact time frame.

Feedback Score
    i noticed a Calgary ambulance has a rugged EVDO data module with GPS tracking and a GPS tracking module with EVDO link .. so something isnt making any sense..

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwextenderhelp View Post
    i noticed a Calgary ambulance has a rugged EVDO data module with GPS tracking and a GPS tracking module with EVDO link .. so something isnt making any sense..
    It'll still work on 1x once EvDO is de-deployed... it'll just work more slowly. It may work at perfectly acceptable speeds.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I didn't even know 1xRTT was supposed to still be working. My mum and dad had an old CDMA2000 flip phone, and were told by TELUS to bring it in for exchange as the entire network was coming down. (This was in Victoria B.C.). They exchanged their old one for an HSPA handset, but forgot that they had a second one that they rarely used. They tried to use it recently and it had no signal even in the urban areas of Victoria.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. 1x was the icon on mom's phone till months ago I changed her phone to wind mobile.

Feedback Score
    1x works just fine in the Lower Mainland. I just used 1x on a Samsung A720 flip phone on Oct-27-2015 at 2am Vancouver Time

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Was looking on the sasktel coverage site and they still have a downloadable Bell CDMA coverage map on their page. Says nothing about when CDMA coverage is to be decommissioned on this page, perhaps elsewhere.

I would think that as long as here are people using the network, and there is enough bandwidth for HSPA/LTE coverage, that why not just let people keep on paying for it. When people switch to newer phones that don't support CDMA, then start switching towers off. At least once any roaming contracts are finished with any other carrier.

Website: http://www.sasktel.com/wps/wcm/conne...ge-and-travel/

PDF: http://network.bell.ca/pdf/Bell_CDMA...N_20150917.pdf
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    I've been following links on earlier messages in the Wind forum and came across this one on Canadian Telecom companies in Wikipedia. It lists a bit down the page the technologies the companies use and one column is for carriers that support CDMA and notes shut down dates.

Bell: January 1, 2017
    MTS: December 2016
    Sasktel: 2016
    Sogetel: no shut down date given
    Telus: 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hone_companies