Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do Aussies get cheaper wireless service compared to Canadians?

Feedback Score

Why do Aussies get cheaper wireless service compared to Canadians?

Despite having very similar geographic/population characteristics (large land area, sparsely populated with most of the population concentrated in one area)?

Comparing Rogers with Optus, you get 16X more data on Optus' $50 SIM-only/BYOD plan for roughly $10 less (depending on exchange rates) compared to Rogers $60 share everything plan with Canada-wide calling and no Tab.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I think Canada is a harder country to cover (about 30% bigger, more mountainous, worse winters, etc.) so I'd expect Canada to be a bit more expensive, but perhaps not that much more expensive. Interesting.

Looking at it, I think Canada has a lot more highway coverage. The TransCanada creates tremendous highway coverage costs. The average distance between major population centres in Australia seems a lot shorter, from looking at Optus' coverage maps, but I'm definitely no expert. :-)
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    I think Canada is a harder country to cover (about 30% bigger, more mountainous, worse winters, etc.) so I'd expect Canada to be a bit more expensive, but perhaps not that much more expensive. Interesting.

Looking at it, I think Canada has a lot more highway coverage. The TransCanada creates tremendous highway coverage costs. The average distance between major population centres in Australia seems a lot shorter, from looking at Optus' coverage maps, but I'm definitely no expert. :-)
    But then even Telstra which is the most expensive wireless carrier in Australia (albeit with the most coverage) offers more than twice the data on their $70 plan for roughly $15 less (when taxes are included) than Roger's $75 SE plan (with no tab and canada wide calling).

As for highways: it appears that Telstra also covers the major Australian highways along with almost all of Highway 1, the world's longest highway at almost twice Trans-Canada's length
    Last edited by krazy; 09-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Telstra $70 plan?
    https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...ans-and-rates#
    https://www.telstra.com.au/content/d...ile-byo-70.pdf

Required to sign 12 month contract with own device (or 24 month contract with tab) which has a cancellation penalty of UP TO $420 per YEAR (worse than our old $400 Canadian limits)
    5GB data per month for $70
    Local calling & TXT only (no global SMS)

Plan is $85 on Rogers (same data, why do you think "twice the data"?) but no need to sign a 1 year contract and Rogers includes a few extra features which may or may not be on interest to subscribers
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post

Good comparison as Australia is very similar to Canada in every aspect.
    I hope the wireless market price will feature more prominently in the coming election.
    We know the position of the Tories.
    Do we have any inputs from the Liberals and the NDP?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    But then even Telstra which is the most expensive wireless carrier in Australia (albeit with the most coverage) offers more than twice the data on their $70 plan for roughly $15 less (when taxes are included) than Roger's $75 SE plan (with no tab and canada wide calling).

As for highways: it appears that Telstra also covers the major Australian highways along with almost all of Highway 1, the world's longest highway at almost twice Trans-Canada's length

Looking at the coverage map, there's dense coverage in eastern Australia and not much in Western Australia. Outside eastern Australia, it's a thin band of coverage that's mostly a coastal ring around that country. Canada is more three-dimensional country when it comes to highways, with the East-West Trans-Canada, but also a lot of North/South highways. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more cell sites in total on highways in Canada than in Australia.

And Canada appears far more mountainous, which is hell on network deployment

It's an interesting comparison, and a lot closer than comparisons to the U.S., but perhaps not as similar as it first appears. Worth studying, all the same. :-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    Telstra $70 plan?
    https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...ans-and-rates#
    https://www.telstra.com.au/content/d...ile-byo-70.pdf

Required to sign 12 month contract with own device (or 24 month contract with tab) which has a cancellation penalty of UP TO $420 per YEAR (worse than our old $400 Canadian limits)
    5GB data per month for $70
    Local calling & TXT only (no global SMS)

Plan is $85 on Rogers (same data, why do you think "twice the data"?) but no need to sign a 1 year contract and Rogers includes a few extra features which may or may not be on interest to subscribers
    I was referring to the $70 "Casual SIM-Only" plan, the one without the 12 month contract (but with 1GB less data):

Rogers Share Everything (no tab/BYOD)
    2.5GB data ($50 per GB overage)
    Unlimited Canada wide calling
    Unlimited SMS/MMS
    $75+tax per month

Telstra Casual SIM Only "L" Plan (no-contract BYOD)
    6GB data ($10 per GB overage)
    Unlimited Australia-wide calling
    Unlimited SMS/MMS
    $70 per month, tax included

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    I was referring to the $70 "Casual SIM-Only" plan, the one without the 12 month contract (but with 1GB less data):
    Well thats a promo (website says only valid to Sep 28) in that case normal plan is even worse...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Well thats a promo (website says only valid to Sep 28) in that case normal plan is even worse...
    That promo is for the double data offer on the $50 2.5GB "M" plan, the $70 6GB plan is a regular plan on Telstra.

Feedback Score
    I was in Australia for a couple months a couple years ago and I can tell you it used to be way more expensive! They've always had BYOP plans which is great, but pretty much every plan only had xxx minutes to the internal network, so you'd pay extra for any call outside the network, same with texting and it would use your minutes to call your own voicemail, and all kinds of other garbage to trick customers.

Good to see things have changed!
    - Successfully moved 5 people (+ myself) from Robbers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by procyon View Post
    I was in Australia for a couple months a couple years ago and I can tell you it used to be way more expensive! They've always had BYOP plans which is great, but pretty much every plan only had xxx minutes to the internal network, so you'd pay extra for any call outside the network, same with texting and it would use your minutes to call your own voicemail, and all kinds of other garbage to trick customers.

Good to see things have changed!
    Our malls are packed with shops/kiosks/stalls....marketing only the established carriers.
    Anybody knows the Liberals' position on the 4 th carrier now that it is neck in neck with the Tories?
    Will the Liberals reverse the steps favouring competition?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtong22 View Post
    Our malls are packed with shops/kiosks/stalls....marketing only the established carriers.
    Anybody knows the Liberals' position on the 4 th carrier now that it is neck in neck with the Tories?
    Will the Liberals reverse the steps favouring competition?
    I think so

Device(s)
    Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers in NA - ALDI Talk in EU - Telstra or Vodafone in Oz
    Feedback Score
    What a coincidence. I just got back from Oz.

And when I arrived at the airport there, my phone beeped telling me I am roaming. Actually I was surprised that my Canadian pre-paid would work there but at the roaming rates, I quickly picked up a Telstra pre-paid card there.

Wow!!!!!!

15 cents a minute for calls within OZ as well as to Canada, the US and some countries in Europe. Hell, I can't make a local call here at home for 15 cents a minute. And free incoming calls and text messages, after all why should I pay for an incoming call (wrong number) or text message (spam) I never wanted. What a concept!!!!

I've heard all the lame BS excuses as to why our rates are so high here. Large land mass (people forget that the vast majority of it has no cell phone coverage. Hell even Gander did not have any...incredible). Low population in Canada yet Oz has far lower population. Just accept the fact and call it greed.
    I don't yap/text and drive,
    Alex

2019 to present: Samsung A50
    2014 to 2019: Samsung ATIV-S
    2005 to 2014: Nokia 6100
    2001 to 2005: Motorola T120

Feedback Score
    Re-seller/MVNO's like Kogan Mobile (using Vodafone Australia's network) offer even better value with as much as 7GB of data for as low as about $30 per month

Carrier(s)
    Rogers, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Despite having very similar geographic/population characteristics (large land area, sparsely populated with most of the population concentrated in one area)?

Comparing Rogers with Optus, you get 16X more data on Optus' $50 SIM-only/BYOD plan for roughly $10 less (depending on exchange rates) compared to Rogers $60 share everything plan with Canada-wide calling and no Tab.
    Lots of factors contribute to cost difference such as:
    Infrastructure/Spectrum costs
    Subsidies
    Taxes
    Supply and Demand
    Laws and legislations
    Costs of providing service
    Economies of scale/scope
    Competitive environment
    etc...

Looking at one without the others is not looking at the big picture. It would take a long time to study and you will find more to it than just coverage and population densities

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast