Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Missing "Cellular Data Network" option and APN settings after iOS 9 update

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0

    Missing "Cellular Data Network" option and APN settings after iOS 9 update

    I have a carrier unlocked iPhone. After updating to iOS 9 from 8.4.1, I was prompted to also update the carrier settings.

    Afterwards, I noticed that when I go Settings > Cellular, it is missing the "Cellular Data Network" option that allows me to configure the APN settings. This option was there previously.

    Did upgrading to iOS 9 and/or updating carrier settings lock my iPhone to the carrier again?
    Last edited by cljung; 09-17-2015 at 10:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,877
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    The carrier determines whether certain settings are available to the end user. Supported carriers may hide those settings and may use carrier profiles which configure all cellular data settings. If the preconfigured settings work, why complain? If you insert a SIM card for a carrier which does not preconfigure the settings, the ability to modify those settings reappear in the menus. By the way, the Cellular settings are under "Settings>Cellular." There is no "Settings> Carrier" menu. One sees "Carrier" under "Settings>General>About," but one can only view what is there.
    Earl F. Parrish

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry, you're right -- I meant to say "Settings" > "Cellular". I'll edit my post to reflect that.

    My concern is that I may want to change to a different carrier in the future. I don't have a SIM from a different carrier on hand to check if the iPhone is still unlocked after the iOS 9 and carrier settings update.

    Shouldn't the ability to view "Cellular Data Network" option indicate an unlocked iPhone? For instance -- http://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-Your-iPhone-Is-Unlocked

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    upstate South Carolina
    Posts
    186
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I updated my iPhone 4S from iOS 8.4.1 to 9, and it is still unlocked. I bought it from Verizon in 2011 on contract, completed the contract, and went to an MVNO). I'm presently using Selectel. I wouldn't think that updating to iOS 9 would affect the phone's being unlocked.
    Last edited by Broadus; 09-17-2015 at 12:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,877
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cljung View Post
    Sorry, you're right -- I meant to say "Settings" > "Cellular". I'll edit my post to reflect that.

    My concern is that I may want to change to a different carrier in the future. I don't have a SIM from a different carrier on hand to check if the iPhone is still unlocked after the iOS 9 and carrier settings update.

    Shouldn't the ability to view "Cellular Data Network" option indicate an unlocked iPhone? For instance -- http://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-Your-iPhone-Is-Unlocked
    As I stated above, that is controlled by the carrier. It has nothing to do with being locked or unlocked. Many carriers now have carrier profiles which block access to those settings. That eliminates many calls because data do not work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Same here on my tmobile iphone 6 plus. Tmobile allows you to change and view the apn settings but in ios 9 its gone. Not sure if its ios 9 in general or the new tmobile carrier file that got installed


    via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    2,150
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    Same here on my tmobile iphone 6 plus. Tmobile allows you to change and view the apn settings but in ios 9 its gone. Not sure if its ios 9 in general or the new tmobile carrier file that got installed


    via the HoFo App
    I would check with T -Mobile to see if they issued an updated carrier profile.


    via the HoFo App
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

    A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,877
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Look under Settings>General> to see if the Carrier is newer than before. The previous carrier was likely to be 20.x, The newer carrier will be 21.0.x or a similar number. The iPhones and iPads may have different carrier numbers. In my case my iPhone 6 has AT&T 21.0.1 while my iPad 4 has AT&T 21.0.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    I would check with T -Mobile to see if they issued an updated carrier profile.


    via the HoFo App
    They did issue one. It installed 21.1.

    Att has the same one


    via the HoFo App

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    2,150
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    They did issue one. It installed 21.1.

    Att has the same one


    via the HoFo App
    It isn't a generic profile for all. The AT&T profile is AT&T 21.1, which is meant for AT&T only.


    via the HoFo App

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    It isn't a generic profile for all. The AT&T profile is AT&T 21.1, which is meant for AT&T only.


    via the HoFo App
    Tmobile has the same


    via the HoFo App

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,877
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    The carrier files may have the same number but are customized for that particular carrier. An AT&T file of the same number cannot be used on T-Mobile and vice versa.
    Last edited by efparri; 09-19-2015 at 02:53 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    7,482
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wait, was your phone jailbroken? If I remember correctly, iPhones never had the cellular network there to edit the APN. I have had a Verizon iPhone 4S to the ATT 5, Never seen cellular network except I jailbroken the 4S and install the APNedit from Cydia

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Wait, was your phone jailbroken? If I remember correctly, iPhones never had the cellular network there to edit the APN. I have had a Verizon iPhone 4S to the ATT 5, Never seen cellular network except I jailbroken the 4S and install the APNedit from Cydia
    My phone isnt jailbroken. Tmobile always allowed the changing of the the APNs up until iOS8. iOS 9 seems to block it.

    One of my other line has a tmobile iphone 6 plus with ios and this is what i am talking about with ios 8 and the carrier file 19.1
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761806.766108.jpg
Views: 37533
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761520.710036.jpg
Views: 37469
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761534.574386.jpg
Views: 37218
Size:  50.2 KB

    Now here is what is looks like on ios 9 on my phone.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761633.375326.jpg
Views: 37278
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761703.218290.jpg
Views: 39264
Size:  34.5 KB


    via the HoFo App

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    2,150
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    My phone isnt jailbroken. Tmobile always allowed the changing of the the APNs up until iOS8. iOS 9 seems to block it.

    One of my other line has a tmobile iphone 6 plus with ios and this is what i am talking about with ios 8 and the carrier file 19.1
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761806.766108.jpg
Views: 37533
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761520.710036.jpg
Views: 37469
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761534.574386.jpg
Views: 37218
Size:  50.2 KB

    Now here is what is looks like on ios 9 on my phone.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761633.375326.jpg
Views: 37278
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1442761703.218290.jpg
Views: 39264
Size:  34.5 KB


    via the HoFo App
    It looks like T-Mobile has updated their carrier firmware with iOS 9. I would talk to T-Mobile.


    via the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Missing Cellular Data Network on iphone 4S with Gevey Ultra S
    By yeudttl in forum iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 08:24 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks