Thread: Why I Gave Up on Pebble

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post Why I Gave Up on Pebble

Name:  pebble-time-scratch.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  20.6 KB

(This isn't actually my Pebble Time—I take better care of my cuticles than that—but the one I bought is in almost as bad shape...)

So I'm making a bit of an about-face from my proclamation last April that Pebble had already won the smartwatch wars. I still think their Timeline UI makes the most sense, but the honest truth is that within a month of receiving my 2nd-gen Pebble I stopped using it and went back to Android Wear. And if I'm really honest I don't even use Android Wear all that much.

Here's why I gave Pebble the boot:

1. Design

The photo for this post comes from a redditor who had his Pebble Time for all of 45 minutes before the bezel got scratched. Had the PT been "unapologetically plastic" like the original Pebble this wouldn't have happened; while it's great that the Time has a metal bezel, it's quite infuriating that said metal bezel has a PVD coating that scratches off far too easily. Expect this same issue to plague the more expensive Pebble Time Steel, as well—the black one, anyway.

A not-so-easy fix is to sand off the coating with steel wool, which only makes me wonder why on earth Pebble decided to coat the bezel in the first place.

2. Privacy

Another post on r/Pebble ultimately proved to be the deal-breaker for me, having to do with Pebble's Privacy Policy and "Automatically-Collected Information". I'll cut right to the chase:

tl;dr Pebble records EVERYTHING. Your GPS location, log files, mobile phone details, what other apps you run on your phone, information about Facebook events, info about any text you enter with text-to-speech. Not just in anonymized form, but specifically identifiable to you.
    Even worse is that Pebble explicitly reserves the right to sell this information to third parties. No thanks.

3. Customer Support

My experience with Pebble support has left a rather bad taste in my mouth. You'll recall that I actually got a pair of Pebble Times from the company's Kickstarter campaign; the white one, intended for my girlfriend, went unused. I took advantage of a 30-day return policy and shipped it back to Pebble, at my own expense. They received that shipment on August 17th, but have yet to issue a refund. I contacted support this week and was told to expect it "in 10 to 14 business days"—or, in other words, a full month and a half after they received it. ಠ_ಠ

The most maddening thing about all of this is that the money I've spent on Pebble could have instead financed a fancy second-generation Android Wear device like the Huawei Watch. But I keep having to remind myself that smartwatches in general have yet to prove themselves as a must-have companion to a proper smartphone.

Sources: reddit (1) (2)
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I completely agree, I stopped wearing Pebble 2G about a month ago. The new one felt much nicer, the slightly smaller size and the curve were a great addition, but it looked like I'd dropped it down the garbage disposal after a month's use. I'm not one to baby my electronics and rarely have broken them either for it, but this is a level of just shoddy design or workmanship.

Also, the timeline was great and some of the new app ideas were awesome, but I found apps I wanted to use still are very beta types. The Up and Misfit step counters were grossly inaccurate. I work at a desk and anytime I moved my left arm (which is frequent as my phone is on the left and I answer it a lot and other items are over there) it'd register 4 steps. I moved a lot in a 1/2 hour if I received a bunch of calls sitting at my desk. Other pedometers don't do this and each Pebble has the same hardware so I can't imagine it's hard to calibrate the accuracy.

Also, I know the update helped some, it was very hard to read unless you were in a situation with very even lighting. I actually went around with my Pebble plastic and the new one to see. I could instantly read the original one but the Pebble Time was harder to focus on, especially inside or another situation with odd lighting. Also, the colors were muted, but just didn't seem to add anything to the experience. In some ways, it made it worse because I'd seek out a black/white watch face anyone because in meetings I can't have my wrist look like a rainbow exploded on it.

Feedback Score
    It is too bad, I owned a Pebble too they needed to improve build quality; but I do not care if the pebble was a robust as my LG Urbane that ...... we collect your personal date and can sell it turns me off.

Feedback Score
    It seems Pebble has so many issues including the privacy itself which is very important aspect. If you are still using this and concerned about privacy you can use Leo privacy guard to enhance the overall privacy of your phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, 64GB); Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I generally have to say I disagree with you on not enjoying the Pebble Time, I will agree that the customer service is lacking and the watch face does tend to get dinged up very easily. My screen on my Pebble isn't scratched because I take good care of it but the edges around the screen are scuffed a bit and that's just from daily use. I work in customer service and even something as simple as reaching towards something else that is hard plastic or metal can scuff the watch face edges. It's really irritating not to mention the value goes down almost immediately when you buy it. This is unlike Apple products, for comparison, in that they hold their value for awhile.

I bought the original Pebble Time in red and soon after bought a replacement band because I am allergic to silicone. Wearing the watch for more than 5 hours a day makes my wrist itch like crazy and I break out in a rash so I replaced it with a different band that is "sexier" and suits me more (I'm female). So I will have to say that the bands that the original Time come with are very cheaply made and everyone who owns one of these should replace it with something more durable. That being said, if you enjoy a silicone band and can deal with the rubbery feel, then rock on.

I like the Time because it can pair with any phone without a hitch. I have had zero issues pairing and no firmware problems on the watch itself. I receive bi-weekly updates on it and every update just seems to make my watch better and better. That's just my opinion and I hope you can find a smartwatch that fits your needs more so than the Pebble Time. Also the Time isn't a legit smartwatch, I'll admit it. For $200 you can't expect much but I will take this watch over the incredibly expensive Apple Watch any day of the week. I mean $200 vs $900...you do the math, literally.

I hate that it's so easily damaged though, so that generally pisses me off but other than that, I don't really have many complaints about the watch. That was a good "review" so to speak of your time spent with the Time. I thought it was well written and addressed many issues that the company needs to take a look at before releasing the next one.
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost." ~ JR Tolkien
    "The best you can do for another is not just share your riches but prove to him his own." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Best disagreement ever.

Had I thought to protect my PT with Gadget Wraps maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to dump it—the big-a** scratch I got on my week-old watch really put me off it, perhaps unfairly so.

I did end up getting a refund for the white one, at least...