Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: RingPlus - discussion of plans and plan changes

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slohasley View Post
    I picked up the VM Tribute 2 and put it on my Leonado 3 RP account with tethering enabled. The Volt method to enable the tethering menu isn't working. It gives a java permission error. Has anyone gotten tethering to work on the Tribute 2?
    Why I did not bet the farm, but rooting may then make that available? Java permission error though, hmmm?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Why I did not bet the farm, but rooting may then make that available? Java permission error though, hmmm?
    Specifically, when I try to launch the SPRtestChameleonNodeMenu using Shortcut Master (Lite) I get an error saying: /data/data/org.vndnguyen.shortcutmaster.lite/cache/run[2]: su not found

When I try to launch the service using Activity Launcher, I get a long error message stating at the end: requires com.lge.permission LGFOTACLIENT

Makes me think it requires root to edit the menu, and currently it looks like trying to root is precarious.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Update: I rooted the LG Tribute 2 using this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...5-1-1-t3184649
    Thanks comintel for pointing me in the right direction. This was fairly simple following the well laid out instructions. The only hiccup was the link to the LG drivers didn't work, so I googled for the most recent version 4.0.3.

I then followed the directions to enable the hidden Tethering menu in settings that are for the LG Volt so the native tethering app is available:

I used Shortcut Master (Lite) by vndnguyen from Play Store.

1) After installing and then launching the app, go to upper right corner menu and tap the three dots.

2) Do a search (third option from top in menu) for "ChameleonNodeMenu".

3) Tap on "Launch" (picture of the rocket ship).

4) Tap on "tethered data" option at the bottom.

5) Select "get"

6) change that to a 4 and hit SET to save.

7) Exit out of app and reboot the phone.

8) When phone boots up, go to "Settings" and under "Wireless Networks" at the top there's a new menu item for Tethering just below Share & connect.

9) Tap on "Wi-Fi hotspot" and setup, don't forget to password protect!!!

10) You can now toggle "Wi-Fi hotspot" on and enjoy wireless tethering!

I just got this speedtest result while tethered:

Not too shabby for Ringplus.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score

No, not bad at all. The best I've done with my Kyocera Torque (LTE, non-Spark) phone is 29.5 Mb/s, but this was in one spot and normally it's much lower than that (about 5 or 6 Mb/s).

As for tethering ... my unmodified Torque can use the built-in, Sprint Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot (tested only, not regularly used). Is that because it's a Sprint phone and not a Virgin Mobile or Boost phone?
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Recently activated a Sprint LG G2 (tri-band LTE) ran a speed test nearby on Band 41 hit over 50Mbps which the same as I get on my Nexus 6 on Sprint in this area.

Feedback Score
    Is there a way to get a free Sprint SIM? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Update: I rooted the LG Tribute 2 using this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...5-1-1-t3184649
    Thanks comintel for pointing me in the right direction. This was fairly simple following the well laid out instructions. The only hiccup was the link to the LG drivers didn't work, so I googled for the most recent version 4.0.3.

I then followed the directions to enable the hidden Tethering menu in settings that are for the LG Volt so the native tethering app is available:

I used Shortcut Master (Lite) by vndnguyen from Play Store.

1) After installing and then launching the app, go to upper right corner menu and tap the three dots.

2) Do a search (third option from top in menu) for "ChameleonNodeMenu".

3) Tap on "Launch" (picture of the rocket ship).

4) Tap on "tethered data" option at the bottom.

5) Select "get"

6) change that to a 4 and hit SET to save.

7) Exit out of app and reboot the phone.

8) When phone boots up, go to "Settings" and under "Wireless Networks" at the top there's a new menu item for Tethering just below Share & connect.

9) Tap on "Wi-Fi hotspot" and setup, don't forget to password protect!!!

10) You can now toggle "Wi-Fi hotspot" on and enjoy wireless tethering!

That's great that you got it working!

What's more, your approach will probably work on Volt 2 as well and other recent Lollipop level LG phones.

You might consider posting it to XDA if so inclined.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score

RingPlus - discussion of plans and plan changes

Quote Originally Posted by HFA View Post
    Is there a way to get a free Sprint SIM? Thanks
    Only if you drop by a Sprint store and apply good social engineering skills.

In general, one should come with all Sprint devices and you can just keep using it.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score

RingPlus - discussion of plans and plan changes

Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    No, not bad at all. The best I've done with my Kyocera Torque (LTE, non-Spark) phone is 29.5 Mb/s, but this was in one spot and normally it's much lower than that (about 5 or 6 Mb/s).

As for tethering ... my unmodified Torque can use the built-in, Sprint Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot (tested only, not regularly used). Is that because it's a Sprint phone and not a Virgin Mobile or Boost phone?
    Maybe you could look at it that way for this phone, but imho it is more likely just because that particular phone model may have been announced originally as including free hotspot.

For phones common to Sprint Prepaid, Boost, and Virgin, which most new prepaid smart phones now are, I see no difference in hotspot/tethering in the phone itself when used on RingPlus or FreedomPop that depends on the brand on the phone.

Plans activated directly on Boost, Virgin, or SPP may of course differ as to including tethering or not, but this seems to be mainly accomplished by setting different feature codes on the line. They all use the same ROM's now, with different bloatware, across all sub-brands. When these newer phones are activated on an MVNO such as RingPlus, they all behave the same regardless of brand. There are RingPlus plans that enable tethering at the network level, but in general they are not turning on the feature codes to uncover the hotspot in the software of the individual phones when used on RingPlus, FreedomPop, etc.

But it is proving possibly to uncover this software via relatively simple patches. I think they do not want to go so far as to start explicitly enabling the software hotspot software on most of the new phone models on their MVNO's because this would amount to conceding officially that it was ok to run these models on MVNO's with tethering options. They want to charge extra for tethering as part of various plans and extras on their 3 prepaid brands without it being too easy to do the same thing cheaper on their non-owned MVNO's.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V VM670
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does anybody know if there's a waiting list for current members to upgrade to Leonardo 4?

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamoosh View Post
    Does anybody know if there's a waiting list for current members to upgrade to Leonardo 4?

Same old waiting list: https://promos.ringplus.net/upgrade-list.html

Follow the link in the email they sent you if you're already signed up to wait for Leo 1-3 and want to switch to waiting for 4.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    That's great that you got it working!

What's more, your approach will probably work on Volt 2 as well and other recent Lollipop level LG phones.

You might consider posting it to XDA if so inclined.
    Is a Lollipop-level LG phone required to make this work?

I just tested it on my original Volt, and no-go. But I may have missed some earlier-discussed limitations. The Volt is on 4.4.2.

(I'm covered with a rooted phone and the WiFi Tether Router app, but I was just checking the alternatives...)

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V VM670
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks much. I had tried that link earlier and it was a 404.

[QUOTE=scrip_>^..^

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Is a Lollipop-level LG phone required to make this work?

I just tested it on my original Volt, and no-go. But I may have missed some earlier-discussed limitations. The Volt is on 4.4.2.

(I'm covered with a rooted phone and the WiFi Tether Router app, but I was just checking the alternatives...)
    No I have done it on two Volts running Kitkat.

Here is one guide for the Volt if you have not seen this one.

https://forums.freedompop.com/discus...lg-volt#latest

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Maybe you could look at it that way for this phone, but imho it is more likely just because that particular phone model may have been announced originally as including free hotspot.
    So it's basically just the luck of the draw. Thanks for explanation. I guess it's possible that Your Plan 2 included tethering, but they don't mention it as one of the features.

Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast