Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thread: RingPlus - discussion of plans and plan changes

Feedback Score
    These are not sports teams that we should be barracking for, doesn't matter to me what company we are talking about at all.
    My point is about the principle, basic property rights allow a business to dictate its own policies as to what they want to do. Customers are free to stay, to sign up, to leave, as they like, and should be basing their decisions on practical and objective questions of value according to their own needs and preferences.

Are you trying to claim that giving preference to new customers is somehow immoral?

Or just giving your opinion that the company will suffer financially from the bad will engendered?

In either case at a gut level my reaction is pretty much the same when my little boy is whinging about the nice treat his sister came home from school with, that he didn't get that day. It's just sour grapes

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Yes, I really have no idea why anyone thinks current customers are entitled to the same deals as new ones. This is business if your mommy told you the world was fair she did you no favor.

Life is too short for sour grapes, to be so constantly negative, especially when being a new customer is easy as pie, not as if you have to show up in person and present your driver's license!

However some people have an axe to grind in fact paid to do so, something to keep in mind but a whole nother can of worms
    I hate to agree with you, but I do in this instance. One can buy another cheap phone and qualify for a new plan or cancel a line, wait 30 days and activate it on a new plan of your choice. I don't see the big deal here. There are many loopholes or even honest ways to get the plan one likes without having to moan and complain like a little baby or spoiled brat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I hate to agree with you
    LOL as the mods say, keep the focus on the content, not the personalities

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    LOL as the mods say, keep the focus on the content, not the personalities
    Actually, that statement was based on content. That is why I was surprised in this instance.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1500/1500/1500

Activated an LG G2 several weeks back to test it out. Thus far there has been no issues no complaints.

We are looking at activating a backup phone (S4) as well, if need be we'll wait several weeks like we did prior for the plan we wanted.

We live in a solid Sprint coverage area which undoubtedly contributes to the trouble free service through Ring Plus. However it would be very difficult to complain considering it is free plus taxes and fees which are $3.xx in our case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    So you think it is ok for new customers to enjoy better plans than current customers...
    Yes, I think it is perfectly acceptable for a business to package and price their product line as they see fit, and it is my right to subscribe or not. I would like to have the service levels of some of the new plans, but they don't owe it to me.

Some of the new promo plans have been funded by third parties with the funding only to be used for new subscribers. They can't give us something they don't have.

They have given current customers some loyalty bumps. I got free tethering and my plan allocations increased from 200/50/10 to 200/200/350. That is pretty nice for $0.

I have to wonder if Ringplus is getting close to the limit of significant numbers of people interested in acquiring a compatible phone and using a quirky experimental service.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have to wonder if Ringplus is getting close to the limit of significant numbers of people interested in acquiring a compatible phone and using a quirky experimental service.
    I'm kind of wondering that as well. The statement about getting everyone updated before 2016 kind of makes me wonder if they're going to go a different direction next year -- perhaps ending new free plans. And every plan now has an auto top-up except for the Truly Free which I see as kind of a trial plan. (Although it's all some folks need.)
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Feedback Score
    >they don't owe it to me.

Agreed. It chafes me to see people complaining about a (virtually) free service.

>Some of the new promo plans have been funded by third parties with the funding only to be used for new subscribers. They can't give us something they don't have.

That's the official version. Since I don't see R+'s business model--ringback ads--as viable, I don't buy most of its explanations about third-party sponsors. The things it says and does aren't credible or sensible. It said the "Future" promos were over, but the promos kept on coming under a different name. It said there's a limit of one free plan per person, but that was never enforced. It keeps rolling out new paid plans that are significantly inferior to the free ones alongside them. R+ has little credibility, from my view.

The ringback ads don't work. They aren't on inbounds, and duration for outbounds (1-10 secs on avg) is too short to convey any meaningful message, let alone being able to imprint into the user's memory. Many here have used R+ service. Do any of you remember any R+ ringback ads? There's no way that the ads can offset the cost of the free accounts.

This isn't to say that I'm above partaking the freebies handed out. I just don't buy the proffered explanations. Hopefully at some point the facade will come down, and we can learn what the scheme is about. One interesting tidbit is that R+ has access to area codes not available to other MVNOs (eg Washington state), so presently I'm leaning toward the speculation that Sprint is the main R+ backer, and its possible motivation is to pump up sub rates. That also explains why R+ isn't worried about the costs of these freebies.

>I have to wonder if Ringplus is getting close to the limit of significant numbers of people interested

I think we all know that this will come to an end at some point. Last year's promos lasted about a year. I'm hoping that this will last as long, but I'm prepared if they end tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    I know they're linked to other businesses. But how many lines/customers customers does R+ have? Is it known?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Agreed. It chafes me to see people complaining about a (virtually) free service.
    I wonder, does one even qualify as a "customer" if he's not paying for the merchandise? Certainly not a "paying customer".

This is quite common. My local cable company, internet providers, and satellite dish companies run promos all the time, and the catch is always "for new customers only". Current customers can't even get on a "wait list" to get the discount. Perhaps RP is too generous!

I don't see R+'s business model--ringback ads--as viable
    Freedompop don't even have ads. If you can figure out how FP make money, then maybe you will figure out RP.

I think we all know that this will come to an end at some point. Last year's promos lasted about a year. I'm hoping that this will last as long, but I'm prepared if they end tomorrow.
    I wonder what percentage of people stayed with the plan after the promo ended and start paying for it.
    Last edited by Anphone idroid; 12-10-2015 at 02:28 AM.
    I got Lollipop! 12/2014

Feedback Score
    >My local cable company, internet providers, and satellite dish companies run promos all the time, and the catch is always "for new customers only".

Good point.

>If you can figure out how FP make money, then maybe you will figure out RP.

FP's model is upselling. Its free acct is very limited, and many things are extras, like voicemail. R+ free promos are full-fledged accounts that are even more generous than many paid accounts. FP uses VoIP which reduces its costs. R+ doesn't. The two aren't comparable.

There were several write-ups about FP's model. Here's one from 2012, a bit dated, but it covers most of the bases. Since FP is expanding its operations (to the UK) 3 years on, we can hazard the assumption that the model is sustainable. The same can't be said of R+.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabet...g-this-summer/

http://google.com/search?q=freedompop+business+model

>I wonder what percentage of people stayed with the plan after the promo ended and start paying for it.

Whatever the percentage is, I can't imagine many of them remain paying customers in the face of the continuous streams of free promos that are better than their paid plans.
    Last edited by e.mote; 12-10-2015 at 06:03 AM.

Feedback Score
    Since I don't see R+'s business model--ringback ads--as viable, I don't buy most of its explanations about third-party sponsors.
    those are two completely separate revenue streams. The quote third-party sponsor is pretty obviously sprint, giving a spiff for new activations, supposedly completely new customers probably counted per line to boost their numbers to try to keep their stock from tanking completely. So his handlers at Sprint say okay get us 10000 new sub here is X amount of money over the next 4 days or whatever.

Feedback Score
    >My local cable company, internet providers, and satellite dish companies run promos all the time, and the catch is always "for new customers only".

Good point.

>If you can figure out how FP make money, then maybe you will figure out RP.

FP's model is upselling. Its free acct is very limited, and many things are extras, like voicemail. R+ free promos are full-fledged accounts that are even more generous than many paid accounts. FP uses VoIP which reduces its costs. R+ doesn't. The two aren't comparable.
    RP's ad based phone calls probably evens out FP's VoIP. Tons and tons of people are not paying for FP's extras. I've had 2 FP devices and I haven't paid them a penny for min/text/data, but I just activated my first RP phone yesterday and they already charged my card $12 ($14+ total), even though supposedly it's not their money.

We don't know how many people are actually on these 2 companies' paid accounts so it's all speculation how much they make. I do notice though that RP has these crazy high monthly plans, $90 and $110 a month. Would love to know how many people are on those.

There were several write-ups about FP's model. Here's one from 2012, a bit dated, but it covers most of the bases. Since FP is expanding its operations (to the UK) 3 years on, we can hazard the assumption that the model is sustainable. The same can't be said of R+.
    Without looking at RP's financial records, no one knows if they're sustainable or not. Right now they're building up their customer base and recognition, but their promos can end at anytime. They're promos after all. Remember tracfone used to have those refer-a-friend deals? Tons of people were free-loading on them. The deal is long gone, TF is still here. RP's free promos probably won't continue forever either. Only time will tell if RP will last, but apparently their model works better than some more traditional modeled mvnos like for example BYO.

>I wonder what percentage of people stayed with the plan after the promo ended and start paying for it.

Whatever the percentage is, I can't imagine many of them remain paying customers in the face of the continuous streams of free promos that are better than their paid plans.
    But supposedly according to some, a lot of them did not get to switch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anphone idroid View Post
    I wonder, does one even qualify as a "customer" if he's not paying for the merchandise? Certainly not a "paying customer".
    RingPlus calls them members not customers and when it comes to promotions, non-membership has its privileges.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    New promotions starting tomorrow (December 14th) at 2 P.M. Starting and ending times will now be staggered for each time zone (i.e., starting 4 hours earlier on the East Coast than on the West Coast). This is to keep from overloading the sign-up system. Sign-up for the Wait List is now open again (still claiming to be able to upgrade everyone who is signed up by the end of the month). More customers have been upgraded today (supposed to be 50% completed overall).

Leonardo 5 Plan -- 1600/1600/1500 -- tethering available (at $1.99 a day) but not included. $16 auto top up.
    Leonardo 3 Plan -- 1200/1200/1200 -- free tethering included, $12 auto top-up. (Also available for sign up on the Wait List.)

Plan Announcement thread here ...
    https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/the...mber-18th/8620

Latest Wait List Announcement thread, here ...
    https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/upg...-4-soon-5/8619
    Last edited by rcentros; 12-14-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast