Thread: Is Verizon's shutdown of 3G something to worry about?

Device(s)
    Sammy SCH-i600 on PagePlus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon's shutdown of 3G something to worry about?

I'm looking at buying my daughter a Straight Talk/Tracfone LG Power. It's a 3G phone. I like that it will be brand new out of the box and using Lollipop. My hope is that she could use this phone for the next four years until she's out of college, when she can figure this out for herself. I'm having a hard time determining how much longer Verizon is going to keep their 3G network active. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I don't know when the 3G system might go down; not sure anyone knows, or if there is an actual date.

Check this out: it might be a slow process as VZW steals 3G-band spectrum to feed the LTE monster:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/04/tech...illing-off-3g/

The prediction in that link: a slow and gradual kill-off, but that the 3G network will be "gone by 2018."

So, a phone purchased now might not make it through 4 years of college. But they'll have quantum phones by then for $10, so not to worry...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It was just months ago that Tracfone corporation along with Walmart created Total Wireless, a Verizon MVNO that's limited to 3G. I can't believe that serious shutdown of Verizon 3G will be very soon. The last article I saw said Verizon is saying 3G shutdown will be on Dec. 31, 2019.

We have three first gen 3 Moto Gs (from ebay) on Total Wireless, and one LG Power on Tracfone. The phones were all cheap enough that having to replace them in 2020, 2019, or 2018 doesn't bother me. And 3G data is even fast enough for my daughters age 17 and 20, since they are in Wifi range almost all the time anyway.

I'm very pleased with my LG Power. Where I live, Verizon is the only choice, however.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon's shutdown of 3G something to worry about?

Verizon needs to fill in the holes in their Swiss cheese LTE network before they can even consider this. That will take a while.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Verizon needs to fill in the holes in their Swiss cheese LTE network before they can even consider this. That will take a while.
    Yeah there's no way the lte network is ready for the shutdown so my guess is at least a few years would be expected.
    Sent from my RM-1041_1003 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    Sammy SCH-i600 on PagePlus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    All the articles referenced via a Google search are from 2014, and only the one article linked above mentions 2018. I can't find any "official" news since then regarding the eventual shutdown. My uninformed read is that there are LOTS of 3G only devices still out there which are not going away time soon, enough to keep Verizon on the hook for at least 4-5 years. That would be fine with me. Getting the phone through 2019 would be fine. At that point she'll be in her senior year in college and very close to being off of dad's "payroll". I was just wondering if there was better info out regarding the shutdown. Looks like there isn't.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    3G EVDO only takes a 1.25MHz channel. 1.25MHz for 2G 1xRTT as well. As such, it takes very little spectrum to keep it nailed up.

In the end game, it's conceivable that EVDO will be turned off before 1xRTT. EVDO is only a data standard and is superseded by LTE, 1xRTT does data and voice (even for the latest smartphones they frequently use 1x for voice).

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fponzani View Post
    My uninformed read is that there are LOTS of 3G only devices still out there which are not going away time soon, enough to keep Verizon on the hook for at least 4-5 years.
    Verizon has about 16 million basic phone and 9 million 3G smartphone customers out of it's 103.7 million retail postpaid connections. They will probably be able to persuade the 3G customers to upgrade more easily than the basic phone customers, as they are the most frugal.

I would think that an outright ban on new accounts with 3G phone at least two years before they shut down.

As was pointed out, a large percentage of the MVNO customers on Verizon's network are using 3G phones. Total Wireless just started operations this year on Verizon's network, and it prohibits 4G phones.

So four years is a reasonable gamble. On the other hand, how much more money prorated over 4 years is a 4G phone?
    Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-24-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    LG K3 on Virgin Mobile ($20 a month Walmart Plan)
    2 Samsung SCH-u410™ w/Verizon Prepaid ($5 month & $15 month grandfathered plans)

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia X Compact
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone(AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
    Verizon has about 16 million basic phone and 9 million 3G smartphone customers out of it's 103.7 million retail postpaid connections. They will probably be able to persuade the 3G customers to upgrade more easily than the basic phone customers, as they are the most frugal.

I would think that an outright ban on new accounts with 3G phone at least two years before they shut down.

As was pointed out, a large percentage of the MVNO customers on Verizon's network are using 3G phones. Total Wireless just started operations this year on Verizon's network, and it prohibits 4G phones.

So four years is a reasonable gamble. On the other hand, how much more money prorated over 4 years is a 4G phone?
    People with basic phones probably will hardly notice, if they notice at all, when 3G is shut down since 3G is only for data anyway. The shutdown of the 2G network that they actually use for calls and texts on those phones is farther off.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    In the end game, it's conceivable that EVDO will be turned off before 1xRTT. EVDO is only a data standard and is superseded by LTE, 1xRTT does data and voice (even for the latest smartphones they frequently use 1x for voice).
    That's what happened in Canada. Bell, Telus, SaskTel and MTS all shut down EVDO but have legacy IS-95/1xRTT networks running. (They don't sell new service on it; new service is all HSPA+/LTE. That's one major difference compared to Verizon.)
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFlare View Post
    People with basic phones probably will hardly notice, if they notice at all, when 3G is shut down since 3G is only for data anyway. The shutdown of the 2G network that they actually use for calls and texts on those phones is farther off.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN Money
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/04/tech...illing-off-3g/

Gartner's Ken Dulaney predicted that 3G will be gone by 2018.
    Killing 2G will also be a struggle: Voice and text messages still run over 2G networks. Although a new voice protocol called Voice over LTE, or VoLTE, is emerging, it will take a while to completely shut down 2G.
    To speed up the transition, telecommunications industry analysts predict that carriers will offer free 4G phone upgrades to pry the last remaining holdouts away from their aging devices.
    I should note that no one at Verizon has mentioned 2018, but they have been careful not to say anything definitive. Back in 2012 a senior Verizon executive said 2021, but she made it clear that she was guesstimating. Certainly nobody at Verizon has mentioned free 4G phones.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure Verizon plans to keep it around for awhile. It doesn't eat that much spectrum. 1.25 Mhz for both 1xRTT and EV-DO.

FWIW 1xRTT isn't 2G and is actually 3G. CDMA2000 itself is a 3G standard.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    That's what happened in Canada. Bell, Telus, SaskTel and MTS all shut down EVDO but have legacy IS-95/1xRTT networks running. (They don't sell new service on it; new service is all HSPA+/LTE. That's one major difference compared to Verizon.)
    1xRTT is CDMA2000 http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=150

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just read this old article

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015...t-devices.html

Looks like they are not planning to shut down CDMA now tho they are refraining some PCS spectrum for LTE.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fponzani View Post
    I'm looking at buying my daughter a Straight Talk/Tracfone LG Power. It's a 3G phone. I like that it will be brand new out of the box and using Lollipop. My hope is that she could use this phone for the next four years until she's out of college, when she can figure this out for herself. I'm having a hard time determining how much longer Verizon is going to keep their 3G network active. Any thoughts?
    Nothing to worry about. By the time they kill 3G, your daughter will married and living in Australia using a GSM phone and you'll be in a retirement home.