Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need to Carry 2 phones. Need suggestion for lightest Android devices

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    FYI, you can't unlock the bootloader or root a GoPhone or Cricket Moto E 2nd gen LTE. You do have that option on the factory unlocked version from Amazon, but it would void the warranty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepaidmasterz View Post
    I keep a smart watch around for that exact purpose. the one I use is called dz09.it cost me $20.
    Thank you!
    My needs are quite different from the OP, but your suggestion was spot on for me.I just ordered one. Looks like I may be retiring my flip phone...

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/11.0.1912/37.6584; U; en) Presto/2.12.423 Version/12.16)

Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol
    Hey prepaid,
    Do you use the SIM or do you just use it as a bluetooth extension to one of your phones? Changing the SIM back and forth would probably get old after a while if the SIM is being used/interchanged. How sturdy are these devices? $20-$40 sounds almost TGTBT

Quote Originally Posted by prepaidmasterz

I keep a smart watch around for that exact purpose. the one I use is called dz09.it cost me $20.it has a sim card slot and it can be used as a bluetooth watch also. it has an fm radio which I never used yet. also audio and video player.micro sd card slot. you can get an android watch for around $40. just a suggestion
    I have used a sim card and as a bluetooth device. its pretty solid but I treat all my devices with care so I can't comment on how tough it its. its basically a flip phone in watch form. I like it
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 09-27-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/11.0.1912/37.6584; U; en) Presto/2.12.423 Version/12.16)

Quote Originally Posted by afblangley
    I keep a smart watch around for that exact purpose. the one I use is called dz09.it cost me $20.
    Thank you!
    My needs are quite different from the OP, but your suggestion was spot on for me.I just ordered one. Looks like I may be retiring my flip phone...
    you should love it
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 09-27-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    I started looking at some of these watches too. On the cheaper ones (under $40), the price seems too good to be true and most of the reviews on Amazon are not that great, with almost 50% "one star" reviews.

The pebble watch also caught my attention (not the new $200 Pebble Time but the more humble plastic pebble black which is on sale, down to $75 on Amazon now) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...technical-data

There are one or two reviews about the Pebble here on HOFO that concern me, though, as they suggest that the Pebble apps are quite iinvasive in terms of privacy (I am not sure how true they are). http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ghlight=pebble

I ran Norton Mobile Security App Advisor on some of the pebble apps on Google play, and Norton says they are safe. (Here is a little bit of reading on the Norton App Advisor for those who may be interested: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us)

And here is the original Reddit discussion on their privacy policy

https://www.reddit.com/r/pebble/comm...rivacy_policy/

So basically, it looks like they collect everything!! I also wonder how much information much cheaper smartwatches' apps collect.

At least for my purpose, I am getting two phones instead of a dual SIM unit, primarily for privacy issues as I do not want my employer snooping on my personal stuff on the dual SIM device, but if the above links are true, it seems that Pebble (and possibly other cheaper smartwatch companies) want to collect and (sell) all your data to just about anyone they want....

I also wonder how much information is collected by the high end Smartwatches (Moto 360, Samsumg etc)

you should love it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol View Post
    So basically, it looks like they collect everything!! I also wonder how much information much cheaper smartwatches' apps collect.

I also wonder how much information is collected by the high end Smartwatches (Moto 360, Samsumg etc)
    As connected as most of us are these days, privacy is a myth. Google knows the name and numbers of our contacts, our email and texts. Amazon and ebay have our credit cards and purchase histories. Our cars are embedded with tracking devices. Every ATM has a camera, as do many of the places we go, including (ostensibly anti crime) cameras that capture pedestrian traffic on city sidewalks. Anonymity may endure, but privacy is gone.

Feedback Score
    afblangley,
    You are 100% correct. Sadly this is our truth today...

Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    As connected as most of us are these days, privacy is a myth. Google knows the name and numbers of our contacts, our email and texts. Amazon and ebay have our credit cards and purchase histories. Our cars are embedded with tracking devices. Every ATM has a camera, as do many of the places we go, including (ostensibly anti crime) cameras that capture pedestrian traffic on city sidewalks. Anonymity may endure, but privacy is gone.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score

you should love it
    Do you have a link to a smartwatch you would recommend or the one you have right now? pretty intriguing. didn;t know that they could actually function as a phone.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    Anonymity may endure, but privacy is gone.
    I wouldn't count on anonymity either - https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30...king-Anonymity

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred

you should love it
    Do you have a link to a smartwatch you would recommend or the one you have right now? pretty intriguing. didn;t know that they could actually function as a phone.
    they have different names for the watch but just search the model number.it's called DZ09 smartwatch.they have mediatek processor. it even copies off android and has a notification drop down menu. I found mine on Amazon for $21. they go up and down in price between $20-$40. look around you will find them cheap. http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_174047.html
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 09-30-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score

Carry 2 Phones (Work/Personal): More Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol View Post
    Correct. My Moto G 3rd gen has the FM radio and it works well
    Have you considered the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 (4.7")?

It's unlocked, and has the following advantages versus the Moto G (2015):
    - Lighter, at 3.88 ounces vs 5.47 ounces
    - More compact, at 5.30 x 2.59 x 0.30 inches vs 5.59 x 2.85 x 0.48 inches
    - Equal or lesser cost depending on Storage/RAM configuration (at the time of this post), at $179.99USD (16GB Storage / 1.5GB RAM) vs $179.99 (8GB Storage / 1GB RAM) or $219.99 (16GB Storage / 2GB RAM)

However note these disadvantages:
    - Probable lower device reliablility vs Moto G (2015)
    - Less customizability vs Moto Maker
    - Smaller battery, at 2000 mAh vs 2470 mAh
    - Less rugged, no IP classification vs IPX7 rating
    - Less likely or slower to receive Android OS 6.0 Marshmallow

Or how about a dark horse contender? Would the OP consider the Lumia 640 LTE as a work phone, because it has the following virtues:
    - Cheap, at $80 for AT&T prepaid version
    - Slightly lighter, at 5.11 ounces vs 5.47 ounces
    - Although taller & wider than the Moto G (2015), it's thinner at 0.35 inches vs 0.48 inches
    - Supports MS Outlook Exchange for Email/Contacts/Calendar
    - Supports mobile MS Office

Given that the primary weakness of Windows Phone devices is lack of apps... which IMHO is not a drawback for a work-only phone. If your workflow requires integration with MS Outlook, it may be worth the tradeoff? YMMV...

PS: All comparison data from PhoneArena.com
    Last edited by mobileFonPhile; 10-05-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added URL for Motorola Moto G (2015) & MS Lumia 640 LTE product pages
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3