Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OmniLynx (Huntsville City Schools)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPad 4, iPod Touch (1st Gen), Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone, Ting, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

OmniLynx (Huntsville City Schools)

Interesting post on their site today:

The wireless provider previously servicing the OmniLynx Program has recently expressed an inability or unwillingness to continue supporting the program.
    As a result, and regrettably, we will be unable to accommodate orders at this time.
    We are exploring alternatives for the continuation of the OmniLynx Program.
    At this time existing customers will not be affected by this change in supply.

Thank you for your patience, support, and understanding in this matter.

http://www.hsvwifi.com/BuildOrder

iPhone 6 on TruPhone
    RingTo for call/text forwarding
    ObiHai/GoogleVoice for Home Phone
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data
    ZTE MF975S - 4gCommunity

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yep, I'm pretty p!$$ed off over this whole thing. I only learned about their existence this week, and they would have been the PERFECT replacement for the Clear internet service I'm about to lose on November 6th. Now I have to spend an Arm, a Leg, my Left Nut, and my First Born to take over someone's Verizon Unlimited Data Plan via an Assumption Of Liability in order to get an adequate replacement.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    Amazon Fire Phone, LG G2, HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile via Smartel, FreedomPop, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Wow! $48 for unlimited 4G LTE from Verizon, I didn't even know this existed in North Alabama. I doubt they'll ever bring this back.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This may be related to this topic: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...WiMax-Shutdown
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Well, so much for OmniLynx Wireless. They posted this on their Facebook Page this morning:

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLynx Wireless
    Dear Subscribers:

We regret to inform you that your wireless service will terminate effective November 30, 2015 (the “Termination Date”). This termination of service and any resulting inconvenience has resulted from the service provider, Verizon Wireless (“Verizon”) and its decision to discontinue its support of the program. Needless to say, this circumstance is unfortunate and we are disappointed by Verizon’s decision – particularly in light of the fact that Verizon publicly endorsed and applauded the Omnilynx program less than one year ago.

As of the Termination Date and in accordance with your terms of service, you will no longer receive wireless services pursuant to the Omnilynx program, and we will no longer accept payment(s) for such services. Balances received in advance of service will be prorated and promptly refunded to you.

Thank you for your support of the OmniLynx program.
    And yet another good option to close the "Digital Divide" and bring wireless broadband to the masses at affordable pricing goes away.

Feedback Score
    well that didn't last long. what boggles the mind is why would verizon make this contract in the first place, only to then close it down a few months later.

Feedback Score
    Maybe it was being sold to people outside the target market originally envisioned

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Maybe it was being sold to people outside the target market originally envisioned
    Exactly what I was thinking. Sounds to me like there was either miscommunication or straight up misinterpretation of what OmniLynx's long-term plans were for the service.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Although I didn't find out about the Termination Notice until this morning, when OmniLynx posted it on their Facebook Page, the notice was actually emailed to their subscribers yesterday, and one of those subscribers then notified the RV Mobile Internet Resource Center blog, who then reported the story HERE.

Let this be a lesson to OmniLynx/Huntsville Schools: IF they ever manage to arrange another such program, backed by another service provider, they NEED to get their subscribers onto SERVICE CONTRACTS, with the carrier contractually-obligated to provide that service for at least 2 years! I learned the lesson about the evils of month-to-month, no contract plans 5 years ago with CricKet Wireless, and I've never forgotten it!

Feedback Score
    It's been at least a few weeks now since reports were posted here that they were no longer allowing new sign ups

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    It's been at least a few weeks now since reports were posted here that they were no longer allowing new sign ups
    Yes, that's true. But at that time, the people that already HAD service with them were told that their service would remain active. Now, that is no longer the case. Everyone that's relying on OmniLynx-provided Verizon Jetpacks for internet service will now have to make other arrangements for service by the end of the month.

At least OmniLynx is allowing them to keep the Jetpacks. If they go ahead and do an Assumption Of Liability to get their hands on a Verizon post-paid line with an Unlimited Data Plan, they can just put their Nano SIM in the Jetpack they have and hopefully it'll work for them.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is offically on a witch hunt against the remaining UDP customers. Even Arizona Fraternal Order of Police is getting the boot:

http://azfop.com/fop-member-verizon-discount/

They had $36/month unlimited data on smartphones with a 1 year upgrade eligibility. $40/month on mobile hotspots. It's all metered data after November 15th.

If you know anyone affected by this, implore them to buy as many of these plans as possible before November 15th.

Feedback Score
    seems like omnilynx has been 'reborn' as omnifund, and they've switched to T-Mobile

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeen View Post
    seems like omnilynx has been 'reborn' as omnifund, and they've switched to T-Mobile
    Did they take their EBS licenses with them? One of the issues with the Clear WiMax shutdown is that many of the licenses they were using actually belonged to educational institutions.

Feedback Score
    I've no idea

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast