Thread: Locking to Fido Extended

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Locking to Fido Extended

My job takes me to a lot of fringe service areas where I am often experiencing low or no signal. I've noticed increasingly that my handset will now begrudgingly switch to the extended network, however I've also noticed in a lot of other areas I suffer with extremely poor or unusable service only to discover that forcing my phone into the extended network (Bell, I'm guessing, but they're all masked now as "Fido-EXT") results in drastically better service – my phone is actually usable in huge stretches of territory where it's been frustratingly hopeless before.

Does anybody have experience with locking their phone onto the extended network for extended periods of time? I have discovered that once you travel back into a more urban area you end up with no service and have to to reselect Fido, however that's not a big deal for me – I just want to make sure they're not going to get upset about me spending more time on the extended network coverage then they may prefer.
    HoFo'er for 14 years and counting.

Quality, Not Quantity.

Feedback Score
    I think you're fine. However, on an average of 3 months, I have seen somewhere that you cannot exceed 50% of usage on the extended network or they will block you from it.

From Fido's website: "It’s intended to be used occasionally and the majority of your monthly usage (talk, text and data) must occur on the Fido network. If the majority of your monthly usage occurs within Extended Coverage areas, we may restrict or limit your access to Extended Coverage on an ongoing basis."

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, that's exactly the clarification I was looking for - never saw it on the Fido website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper99 View Post
    My job takes me to a lot of fringe service areas where I am often experiencing low or no signal. I've noticed increasingly that my handset will now begrudgingly switch to the extended network, however I've also noticed in a lot of other areas I suffer with extremely poor or unusable service only to discover that forcing my phone into the extended network (Bell, I'm guessing, but they're all masked now as "Fido-EXT") results in drastically better service – my phone is actually usable in huge stretches of territory where it's been frustratingly hopeless before.

Does anybody have experience with locking their phone onto the extended network for extended periods of time? I have discovered that once you travel back into a more urban area you end up with no service and have to to reselect Fido, however that's not a big deal for me – I just want to make sure they're not going to get upset about me spending more time on the extended network coverage then they may prefer.
    If you are spending more and more time on Extended then it may be time to look into Bellus Group of Companies for your cell phone needs

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Unless I'm able to get the six gig option with Bell, which basically isn't going to happen, no dice. I still have the grandfathered six gig plan and I rely on my data heavily, losing it just to switch networks is not an option

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your loyalty.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't call it loyalty, I'd call it desperation – if the competition offered big data buckets and comparable plans...I'd be happy to move.

Let's put it this way, if Wind covered the areas I work in I would be gone already. My wife left Fido over a year ago for Wind.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Make a road trip off to Thunder Bay and get the 12GB plan for $79.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    And exactly how long will that last when 100% of my usage is outside what I'm guessing is tbaytel's service area?