Thread: NSA provision of collective wiretapping set to expire at midnight

Feedback Score

NSA provision of collective wiretapping set to expire at midnight

Since the congress couldn't agree to the reauthorize the bill, the provision sunsets at 12AM. AT&T amongst others were known to be abusers of the NSA with direct interception.

Professor and mathematician John Nash on the same day it was known this would happen was found dead and the NSA leaked his letters in 2012 to the internet from 1950's in declassified form, only three years prior. Phil Zimmerman who founded PGP was also criminally targetted by governmental authorities in the past because they felt his PGP encryption was too strong.

While most users aren't targets of these programs directly, it does go at the heart of academia and the political structure in this country from Edward Snowden and others where communications were used to target someone.

AT&T has been a willing co-comspirator of these programs in the past. I am hopeful AT&T now gets the message and the network will be less intrusive with data going over their connections.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    AT&T amongst others were known to be abusers of the NSA with direct interception.
    I didn't know that. To what level were they involved? The same level as Verizon? Every news article I see only mentions Verizon as the main co-conspirator if you will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    I didn't know that. To what level were they involved? The same level as Verizon? Every news article I see only mentions Verizon as the main co-conspirator if you will.
    AT&T had the infamous room 641A. Loads of rooms like this exist by multiple carriers plus additional facilities exist as well to intercept communications.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    AT&T has been a willing co-comspirator of these programs in the past. I am hopeful AT&T now gets the message and the network will be less intrusive with data going over their connections.
    It used to be that you required direct access to the provider either through a "backroom" to siphon off data as it passed through the AT&T network or through legal channels. Nowdays, all you need is either StingRay or a huge facility to siphon off all and any data which passes through the internet. AT&T doesn't really need to cooperate at all or simply ignore/fudge requests given the relative ease of siphoning off data while its in transit.

Forget about the NSA, even local law enforcement are jumping into the action of siphoning off cellular communications. The NSA is big fat target for Congress to easily jump and harp on.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Edward Snowden is a traitor in my opinion. Patriots do not defect to the Russians, then give foes information to boot.
    Putin would likely agree with you. Only problem being is that he has to indirectly deal with this "unwelcome/inconvenient guest" and I'm gong to bet he thinks that Snowden is a liability or something way too radioactive.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 06-01-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    Cellular signals as well as fiber optics based signals. In fact all the technologies the wireless firms have is primative but economically it provides them a lof of economic wealth. You can in theory move high speed data from point to point from anywhere on the planet at a very high rate of speed with low latency and without requiring towers or even satellite. And also without requiring any electrical outlets of any kind. Sounds far fetched but it isn't. Even before Martin Cooper came out with the patents, there were photos of people holding large communications devices years earlier. Government and the corporate machine are all involved with each other.