Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Is there a catch with Freedompop?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    I cancel all the trials right away, rather than waiting until close to the end. If there's any snag with the cancellation, there's more time to sort it out. Another thing is that people can forget what the end date is, and don't cancel in time. As you said yourself, the main cause of FP complaints is people getting charged for trial offers. Better to play it safe than risk the aggravation. Another GB of data for a month isn't worth the potential hassle.
    In contrast, FreedomPop would not let users cancel, refuse, downgrade, modify, edit or whatever FreedomPop calls it until about three weeks into the month-long free trial either by not offering such option right away or offering it but would not confirm change(s) made by users until about three weeks into the month-long free trial.

To sum up, free service always require users jump through hoops regardless which provider provides it. Providers are doing their best to make money from users in addition to other source. Users just have be diligent to avoid end up paying if free service is sought.

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    No, if you are on the free plan, you will not be charged if 4G LTE is unavailable. You will either get free 3G service temporarily, or no service at all.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    My first bad experience with Freedompop was an email I received one time had just a teaser and no details. When I clicked on the link to try to find out more about what they were offering all I got was a page congratulating me for signing up to a "free" trial. It was a nightmare going through CS to try to opt out of the trial. They told me I had to wait until a "couple days" before it expired before their system would let them put me back on the free plan but assured me I would love the paid plan so much I would no longer wish to downgrade. It seemed to take an hour of arguing and escalating to finally get my plan set back to free.

My latest problem was when they turned my voicemail on and removed the option to turn it back off. My Freedompop number is one of the numbers I forward Google Voice to but I was quite surprised when I found out Freedompop voicemail was suddenly intercepting calls even though I had Google call screening turned on but I now had to subscribe to the paid Freedompop voicemail service to listen to them (which I never did so they are still sitting there). Luckily there were enough complaints they finally gave us back the option to turn voicemail off. I do not see a lot of complaints elsewhere about this issue which leads me to wonder if they release some of their scams on a limited basis to see how they fly.

I also recall a recent issue with changes they made to the auto-topup "feature" via a TOS change that allows them to top you up even if you have opted out. I don't recall the details because I simply disabled the credit card attached to that account so I don't have to worry about it. If they find out and disable my Freedompop account I will switch over to RingPlus which is a better deal for my needs that I would have used as a free account in the first place if it would have been available at the time. I am trying to monitor the ~weekend specials and if Ring+ ever has another special that includes tethering/hotspot I am planning on switching over my Freedompop (BYOD) phone to Ring+ anyway.

Freedompop keeps coming out with new stuff which keeps them in the game, but the sleaze factor will always keep me cautious. Their new GSM plan sounded interesting but the SIM card has never been available to me and I would never buy a device that bears the Freedompop brand.
    I thought my phone was pretty smart but I have been unable to teach it to swim.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    FYI, checked my account and seems like Premium service will jump from 5.99 to 7.99 next month. I was charged only 5.99 for this month.

Since I just use the rollover and never found a use for the premium service, I will probably cancel and downgrade my account.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ShredFred; 03-28-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

In stead of using roll over feature that requires payment, you can keep giving unused data monthly to those Freedom Friends are usually reciprocal. It will serve almost the same purpose but with limits such as for each billing up to 500 MB total and up to 100 MB per Freedom Friend, but giving and receiving are counted separately. This method has been working well for me for over a year. I started out give each Freedom Friend 100 MB. For those Freedom Friends are reciprocal usually, I give them 100 MB almost every month. Therefore, they become my roll over Freedom Friends.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I tried to cancel the auto top up and pay the $5 credit and nothing happens, just reverts back to auto top up? Then I try that Freedom Pop premiere service that is supposed to include priority support and I was on hold for an hour and gave up.

What s shady company!

Feedback Score
    FP emailed me a link to a survey. At the end they asked for comments. This is what I wrote:

Currently in the minds of consumers you are very much in the same class as RingPlus. Both of you have revenue raising gimmicks.
    R+ has "Top-Ups" at sign up time, that are really just front loads of revenue.
    FP has these sneaky trials that are hard to find and hard to opt out of.
    This latter approach has what people interpret as a "sleaze factor", as it is intended to charge people for things they do not want, need, or ever asked for. See here, for example see here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...7#post16561707
    This is very bad for FP's image.
    Added to the fact that R+ is offering LTE and true mobile voice (rather than VOIP which over HSPA is not going to work well), it is going to be very hard for FP to compete.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    I tried to cancel the auto top up and pay the $5 credit and nothing happens, just reverts back to auto top up? Then I try that Freedom Pop premiere service that is supposed to include priority support and I was on hold for an hour and gave up.

What s shady company!
    Actually I have to apologize to FP as far as the auto top up goes, the card I had used expired. They had just sent me a new "chip" card the other day and when I activated that card it expired the one on the account, so the charges were being refused! Of course there was no notification that this was occurring and had to figure that out on my own.

So my deepest and sincerest apologies to FP, but no excuse for the crappy Premiere C/S!

I guess if I just leave that card on the account they won't be able to auto top up my account. I take it they will suspend the account though, I wonder how much of a hassle it will be to get it up and running again if that happens?

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Actually I have to apologize to FP as far as the auto top up goes, the card I had used expired. They had just sent me a new "chip" card the other day and when I activated that card it expired the one on the account, so the charges were being refused! Of course there was no notification that this was occurring and had to figure that out on my own.

So my deepest and sincerest apologies to FP, but no excuse for the crappy Premiere C/S!

I guess if I just leave that card on the account they won't be able to auto top up my account. I take it they will suspend the account though, I wonder how much of a hassle it will be to get it up and running again if that happens?
    I had my account suspended for a few hours. Not sure what happened since my credit card on file was fine and nothing changed, but I checked it one day and it was suspended and then a few hours later I checked it again and it was OK.

I wonder if they attempt an authorization on the credit card once a month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Smile

No hassle at all, next billing cycle comes will get you up and running again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    No hassle at all, next billing cycle comes will get you up and running again.
    Thanks for the update.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    New Policy (catch) from FP!

Unlocking/Releasing My Phone
    Published 10/18/2015 10:53 PM | Updated 04/20/2016 07:59 AM

Are FreedomPop's phones unlocked/releasing?

Most of our phones work with the CDMA carrier network, only if the device is released. However, they are not unlocked with other carriers or globally.

What is FreedomPop's unlocking/releasing policy?

Our phones work best on our network. We will unlock/release the device from our network if the following requirements are met:

At least six (6) months have passed since the the device was registered with FreedomPop.
    Your device hasn't been reported as lost or stolen.
    Your device isn't associated with a fraudulent account.
    Your device hasn't been included in a chargeback dispute.

If you meet these requirements and would like to unlock or release your device, please contact us using the Ask A Question link.

Important Unlock/Releasing Policy Note:

FreedomPop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to deny any unlock or releasing requests that it concludes may result in abuse of this policy or assist in any way in an effort to perpetrate fraud or any other unlawful conduct against FreedomPop or its customers. FreedomPop further reserves the right to change this unlocking/releasing policy at its discretion without advance notice.

Carriers typically use different frequencies and air interface technologies to provide wireless network access. Accordingly, a device that works on one carrier's network may not be technologically compatible with another carrier's network. "Unlocking/Releasing" a device refers only to disabling software that would prevent a consumer from attempting to activate a device designed for one carrier's network on another carrier's network, even if that network is technologically compatible. In other words, "unlocking/releasing" a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with other networks – a device designed for one network is not made technologically compatible with another network merely by "unlocking/releasing" it. Additionally, unlocking or releasing a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked or released device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network).

Please note that at the time of release/unlock, all warranty of the equipment and service becomes void. FreedomPop phones, hotspots, and accessories are only warrantied from the point of purchase when they remain on the FreedomPop network.

Effective on purchases after 04/16/2016

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6