Thread: smartphone for Senior citizen on standard plan?

Device(s)
    note 4 & 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

smartphone for Senior citizen on standard plan?

My 70+ year old mother has been using my old Droid x for the last couple years and it is in need of replacement looking for something with a larger screen. She doesn't want to be on a monthly plan so lte is out, looking for around $50 . My wife is using a moto g thinking of that any other options?

Feedback Score
    For that price range you probably can't beat the first generation Moto G. But there is also Windows Phone which might be a great choice.

Feedback Score
    Yes the brand new in box moto G's from Verizon ready to go on page plus have been going for around 40. Mint condition second hand one that were previously used on prepaid need to have their individual ESN checked before bidding, can go for as little as 20 - 30. I don't think there is a better Verizon compatible 3G only device out there.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would have to go with a Moto G as well.

I got a brand new one basically off eBay for 40$ new.

Feedback Score
    i'm thinking of getting a spare phone. is this the correct one people are talking about?

they're saying it's postpaid, not prepaid. can someone explain the significance of that when buying a phone off ebay?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire 626, LG G3, Moto E2, Lumia 640 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, Truphone, Lycamobile, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    That's the one you need. PP doesn't allow Verizon prepaid handsets on the standard plan unless they've been in use on Verizon Prepaid for at least 6 months. There's no such restriction on post paid handsets.

Feedback Score
    Actually prepaid phones with LTE capabilities seem to also be fine even new out of the box.

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia X Compact
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone(AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Actually prepaid phones with LTE capabilities seem to also be fine even new out of the box.
    Though that doesn't apply here, since B Bell is looking for a device without LTE.

Feedback Score
    Yes, on the standard plan, which is 3G devices only, missed that. Still, good to have the general rule clarified for any new people reading the thread to understand the logic behind it.

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >>Actually prepaid phones with LTE capabilities seem to also be fine even new out of the box.
    >Though that doesn't apply here, since B Bell is looking for a device without LTE.

Yes, that's true. However the OP *does* say something about $50 a month ... which allows an LTE phone/plan.
    Therefore the Moto E 2015 and Moto G 2015 are in play.
    Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    >>Actually prepaid phones with LTE capabilities seem to also be fine even new out of the box.
    >Though that doesn't apply here, since B Bell is looking for a device without LTE.

Yes, that's true. However the OP *does* say something about $50 a month ... which allows an LTE phone/plan.
    Therefore the Moto E 2015 and Moto G 2015 are in play.
    Regards, FJ
    I read it that the OP is willing to spend up to $50 for the phone not for the service.

In any case, you won't be able to get a Moto G 2015 on Verizon (MVNO's or Prepaid or Postpaid) under any plan.

Device(s)
    note 4 & 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, sticking w/the moto g since she wants to stay on the standard plan. Had trouble rooting my wife's but was able to disable bloat w/a debloating program(this one was flashed to page plus before the restriction) plan on doing the same to the one for my mother anything else to look for?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Sorry clarify what you mean specifically by this?

Quote Originally Posted by B Bell View Post
    anything else to look for?

Feedback Score
    You can try the Consumer Cellular Doro 824 Easysmart smartphone for seniors, it has a simplified interface and has 5 inch touchscreen and has an emergency call button. the phone offered by Consumer Cellular starting from $50 with the easypay service.