Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Carrier Aggregation live!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeT85 View Post
    Will carrier aggregation extend the footprint of the cells coverage at all? I live in a marginal coverage area and can hang onto 1 bar of band 13 outside right now at about -117 dbm, inside it will go to about -120 to -122 dbm for a split second before it switches to 1x or 3g. Didn't know if this would allow them to turn up the transmitters on the cells due to the boost in capacity since they have a larger allocation/more efficient use of spectrum to cover more area.
    I do not expect CA to extend coverage at all.

The only (semi-)cell-edge benefit I can see coming from it is if you are at the "edge" of a cell in the sense that you have a poor B2/4 signal and a decent B13 signal, but your phone keeps switching between B13 and a higher frequency band. In that case, CA might make your experience marginally better by allowing your phone to keep a solid B13 connection, and then add/drop the higher-band carrier as part of CA instead of completely switching between the bands.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon CA live!

Quote Originally Posted by flamingBridge View Post
    What is Verizon CA? I googled it but nothing relevant.
    CA = Carrier Aggregation

Verizon is implementing CA across portions of their network to combine 2 different LTE bands (i.e.: band 13 and band 2) into one "pipe" for better data efficiency and increased network performance. When CA is active, users typically see an increase in download and upload speeds*

*These data speed boosts may be short lived if network capacity limit is reached due to more consumers utilizing the available spectrum.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    When CA is active, users usually see an increase in download and upload speeds
    A small point; the current version of CA does *not* affect the reverse channel, and hence upload speeds. I believe the reverse/upload channel is included in CA in a future release of LTE, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    CA = Carrier Aggregation

Verizon is implement CA across portions of their network to combine 2 different LTE bands (i.e.: band 13 and band 2) into one "pipe" for better data efficiency and increased network performance. When CA is active, users usually see an increase in download and upload speeds*

*These data speed boosts may be short lived if network capacity limit is reached due to more consumers utilizing the available spectrum.

Excellent post. It will be interesting to see if Verizon includes band 4 ( 20x20mhz channels) with bands 13 and or 2 soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Excellent post. It will be interesting to see if Verizon includes band 4 ( 20x20mhz channels) with bands 13 and or 2 soon.
    Maybe if you have a compatible Cat 6 device, CA can switch between B4+13, B2+13, and B4+B2. Maybe for those that have only cat 4 device, they can only aggregate B2 and B13 for 20Mhz pipe. At least in NYC.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The current iPhone (6s / 6s+) can aggregate up to two carriers of 20x20 MHz each. So, I would expect Verizon to allow (depending upon market), any of the following combinations:

13+2
    13+4
    2+4 (if you have really good signal strength, maybe)

[There *may* be Android phones on the market that can aggregate up to three carriers, in which case you could see 13+2+4, but, as far as I know, these devices have not yet hit the market.]

Do any of you know whether any current phones (iOS or Android) can aggregate FDD carriers with TDD carriers? This would be of interest to Sprint, particularly...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdekema View Post
    The current iPhone (6s / 6s+) can aggregate up to two carriers of 20x20 MHz each. So, I would expect Verizon to allow (depending upon market), any of the following combinations:

13+2
    13+4

[There *may* be Android phones on the market that can aggregate up to three carriers, in which case you could see 13+2+4, but, as far as I know, these devices have not yet hit the market.]

Do any of you know whether any current phones (iOS or Android) can aggregate FDD carriers with TDD carriers? This would be of interest to Sprint, particularly...
    To answer your bottom question, absolutely not. Unless you count devices in the laboratory

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albert1735 View Post
    Maybe if you have a compatible Cat 6 device, CA can switch between B4+13, B2+13, and B4+B2. Maybe for those that have only cat 4 device, they can only aggregate B2 and B13 for 20Mhz pipe. At least in NYC.
    I remember Milan showing a screenshot of the Galaxy 6 being able to aggregate bands 4+13 for 225mbps theoretical speeds. I hope he can chime in at some point.

Feedback Score

Verizon CA live!

Quote Originally Posted by rdekema View Post

13+2
    13+4

I'm thinking Verizon will probably aggregate all 3 bands on the network side ( where markets have 13, 4 and 2) We just have to wait for the devices to take advantage of 3x CA. Exciting times ahead for big red!

Feedback Score
    I remember Milan showing a screenshot of the Galaxy 6 being able to aggregate bands 4+13 for 225mbps theoretical speeds. I hope he can chime in at some point.
    You'll have to get his attention first lol.

Feedback Score
    He's too busy parading around how amazing T-Mobile is on Reddit and Twitter.

But it's great that Verizon has finally launched CA! Now if only iPhones can get a working FieldTest app
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post

But it's great that Verizon has finally launched CA! Now if only iPhones can get a working FieldTest app
    Just waiting for the day some HOFO user pulls down 200+ Mbps.....It would be amazing to breaking the new speedometer lol.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321
    Come on, really? I have to admit that T-Mobile's Band 12 rollout, at least in my local area, has promoted them from "completely unworkable" to "a reasonable contender."

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321
    From your mouth to Apple's ears!

Feedback Score
    Would like to hear from Milan03, haven't seen him around for awhile...for that matter about the VoWifi too...hopefully not gone the way of Emag*rad and Immerstark...

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know a way to show engineering screens on the Droid Turbo?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast