Thread: Verizon & Windows Mobile...not

Feedback Score

Verizon & Windows Mobile...not

Just curious, does anyone have any accurate information as to why Verizon is so anti-Windows?

I mean, I know that currently Windows Phone is a drop in the bucket market-share-wise, but I've beta-tested Windows Mobile 10 on AT&T's network, and except for the current "app gap", I believe Windows 10 Mobile truly gives Android and iOS a run for its money in terms of the OS & built-in features. I've used all three OS's, and as of today I'd switch to Windows 10 Mobile, if it seemed that Verizon genuinely supported it.

So I went in to a local VZ corporate store to get my wife's iPhone 6 fixed, and while I was there I looked at the Windows Mobile display (only three models), and when I asked the sales person would Verizon be having the new Lumia 950 & 950 XL for sale soon, the sales person said "Mmm...no. Verizon doesn't like Windows."

First, I was really disappointed, because I'd love to buy an unlocked, high-end Windows Mobile device and be able to activate it on Verizon's network, but as of now that would seem to be not possible.

Second, it made me wonder, what is going on here...does Verizon really hate Windows/Microsoft, or is Microsoft/Nokia unwilling to support VZ's CDMA network, or what? Any legitimate, accurate info on the apparent rift between VZ & Microsoft will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Reps in stores know next to nothing, and he would have said anything you wanted to hear that would steer you toward giving him a commission. Also, corporations don't have opinions or feelings. I don't know the answer to whether or not Verizon is ordering these higher end windows mobile devices, and that is a factual question to which there is a sensible answer somewhere one day, but a question about Verizon's feelings doesn't make much sense to me...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You may want to check www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492850,00.asp out.

Also, 3 models are greater than T-Mobile's 0 sold in-store.

I don't think the 950/950 XL even support CDMA networks, so maybe Microsoft is just focusing on the global standard (not particularly directly against Verizon)?
    - Galaxy S10 (T-Mobile / 128GB / Black)
    Twitter | Homepage

Feedback Score
    Verizon is the king of bloatware. Thus they may have to spend more resources fielding a new phone model. Might not be profitable to carry lower selling models. Like HansCT alluded to, it ain't personal, it's just business.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    When I picked up my Lumia Icon at a Verizon store the week it released the rep i dealt with had one also. He went on to say all the reps were rocking Icons supplied by Verizon for their store, which I could plainly see while there. It seemed they were really into promoting WP. Had them prominently displayed as well. It gave me some hope that possibly they were coming around regarding WP. Since I was new to Windows Phone he assured me to be sure I liked it before the 14 day trial was up. He thought I would love it, which I did, but further stated he'd be happy to set me up with another device, maybe Android if I decided against it. Can't say they didn't try, at least my one small town store. They've never been pushy there tho either, about anything. An anomaly in a slew of corporate stores? Perhaps.

Feedback Score
    Another year, another Windows Phone hype session.

The app gap between WinMobile and iOS/android is significant. we've been hearing for years that they will catch up, but nope. Still hasn't happened.

And I've owned my fair share of WM Phones over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=besweeet;16136511]You may want to check www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492850,00.asp out.[QUOTE]

Thank you for that link, the article seems fairly well researched, and sheds some much-needed light onto the subject, given the confusion surrounding Microsoft's "non-launch" of W10M (Windows 10 Mobile) and the 950/950XL.

The by-line in italics right below the article's title seems to synopsize it well:
    "Microsoft confirmed that it didn't offer its new Lumia phones to any carrier except AT&T. "

Also this paragraph:
    "Several industry sources told me that the U.S. carriers have shown interest in Windows Phones and said, like Legere did, that Microsoft gave carriers the cold shoulder. In the case of Verizon and Sprint, Microsoft didn't show much interest in testing and validating the 950 series for their CDMA voice system, so that was a non-starter."

As for me, I like W10M's interface and the integrated Windows apps (Office, Outlook, Lens, etc.) well enough that I'll switch to AT&T and buy an unlocked 950 from the Microsoft Store. Maybe in a year or two Microsoft will have introduced the rumored "Surface Phones" and will work with Verizon, Sprint & T-Mo at that time. If so, I'll happily switch to Verizon if/when that time comes.

BTW, for any existing Windows Phone fans the free MSFT app called "City Art Search" makes for a classy, distinctive, interesting lock-screen (set it up to randomly cycle artwork every 1 hour, & make sure nudity filter is turned on ;-). It lends an air of class to the phone, and it's available only on WP8/W10M.

Office Lens (also available on Android & iOS) is an amazingly capable MSFT app, and combined with OneDrive makes for a very useful productivity tool. With my cheap Lumia 635, I snapped a full-page 8.5x11" printout of an email, and Office Lens very accurately converted it to a fully-editable Word doc, with only three small OCR (optical character recognition) errors during the conversion process. The OCR isn't perfect, but it gets you 95% of the way there, which no other app I know of can do. You can also convert the image on-the-fly to Word/Powerpoint/PDF, and if it's a printed page, chances are you can convert it to a fully editable Word doc as mentioned above (if not clearly printed text, it still saves the image into a Word doc). If you're interested in the capability Office Lens offers, search on "Microsoft Research Office Lens".

Anyhow, thanks again for sharing that link to PC Mag article, that goes a long way to trying to understand why MSFT's "non-launch" of the 950/950XL went the way it has so far.

Feedback Score
    Follow up:

Last night (Oct 28) I stopped by a different corporate VZ store, and the sales person at that store said "Windows Phone doesn't help us much on the retail side, but it helps a lot with the business-account side, so I'm guessing that once Windows 10 Mobile begins to catch on with our business accounts, Verizon will eventually carry the new Lumia phones in retail stores." Of course, that was just the salesperson's own thinking, but he's been a VZ retail person for a number of years, so maybe his "VZ intuition" will prove true.