Thread: Yet Another GSM Phone for Seniors - The Jethro ARCCI

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Yet Another GSM Phone for Seniors - The Jethro ARCCI

Name:  arcci-01-keypad.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  52.8 KB

Last night Howard and I went to a gala dinner event celebrating the launch of a new senior-friendly cell phone, The Jethro SC051 "ARCCI". After a hearty blue plate special the tables were cleared, and just before 5pm Jethro, the CEO of Jethro, took his place at the podium.

"Are you ready for the next chapter in mobile innovation?" he teased.

The audience answered back: "Speak louder, we can't hear you!"

Ok, none of this actually happened. But I did get my mom a new cell phone this week.

Her beloved Snapfon came to an untimely end when it was forgotten in a housecoat pocket and did a cycle in the washing machine. Had I been present at the time I would have immediately pulled the battery and submerged both it and the phone in a bag of rice. Sadly, I was not.

A replacement Snapfon on Amazon is surprisingly expensive and, if we're being honest here, what dear old mom really wants is a network-connected clock. The cellular connectivity is just peace of mind for me, in case the phone lines near her house go down during a winter storm, as they did a couple of years back.

I had previously purchased another Jethro for the girlfriend's mom. This one, the ARCCI (?), was even cheaper. Upon cracking open the box I quickly found out why:

Name:  arcci-02-damage.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  46.8 KB

It's a refurb. The listing on Amazon Canada says nothing about this; I had to visit the manufacturer's site to verify. And I can only hope that mom doesn't notice the frantic fingernail marks around the SOS button. A bit morbid, that.

Name:  arcci-03-screen.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  55.0 KB

Still, it's got a nice big screen displaying both the time and date (which I've since updated). If I could find a cheap carrier plan that included daily weather alerts I think I'd be just about the best son ever.

The Jethro ARRCI is available in red for $19.99 USD from Amazon.com, and in brown for $39.99 CAD from Amazon.ca—both should work on any 1 or 2G GSM network in Canada or the USA.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    And I can only hope that mom doesn't notice the frantic fingernail marks around the SOS button. A bit morbid, that.
    really? Sick but yes funny...

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I already have this one for my stepfather, it's not too bad actually. It was easy to set up, easier to use, and he even figured most of it out himself....pretty amazing. And yes it is LOUD. He's all but deaf and can hear it great. All told, a good buy for it's intended purpose.

Feedback Score
    It may be a challenge to find the right cell phone for seniors, the senior-friendly cell phones should at least taking care of the senior safety. the Jethro ARCCI SOS button is a good option and its value maximized at the emergency.

Feedback Score
    Any word on if the phone includes a point to attach a lanyard? My dad keeps track of his by putting it around his neck...

Feedback Score
    The Jethro cell phone SC213v2 should be considered by flip phone lovers, as it's one of the best cell phones for seniors that offers both communication and safety features.

Feedback Score
    Why do we keep seeing posts that assume that those of us that are up in years want something other than the same smartphone you use?

Feedback Score
    The Jethro SC628 is 3G/2G GSM cell phone and is the best Jethro cell phone available right now, but it is slightly expensive and you have to purchase the charging dock, which means you'll pay extra money.

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Just wondering why this is in The SpeakOut forum, as it's not a phone that SpeakOut sells, and has nothing to do with SpeakOut.