Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bell to Launch New US Roaming Plan (Roam like Home... Kinda)

Feedback Score

Bell to Launch New US Roaming Plan (Roam like Home... Kinda)

$5/day for unlimited call and text, 100MB of data. Not quite Rogers but still pretty decent.

No official launch date but stores have received promotional posters.
    Last edited by qzcgd; 11-07-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Sigh.... Sick of switching SIMs when I go to the USA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note5

Feedback Score
    First world problem for sure

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Strange after they made comments against roam like home
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It will be interesting to see the details. The idea of certain cost per day is similar to Rogers and Telus but having a set limit on data use per day is quite different. I wonder what happens after you use your 100MB? Will it go to standard data roaming rates? Will the data be cumulative over several days or strictly a set amount of data per day? Curious to see.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Personally, I would be very interested in this. It would be nice to be able to switch on the data if needed when there's no WiFi around, as well as not worry about taking or making phone calls when in the US. I know that there are cheaper plans out there like ROAM, but then you have a different phone number.

More options are always good.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Got word of some details:

• $5 / day for unlimited talk, text, and 100MB of data while in the US
    • 100MB clock resets at midnight EST each day.
    • customers can add additional roaming data when they need more
    • Consumer and Small Business customers that subscribe to a Bell share plan featuring unlimited calling and texting can subscribe to Roam Better
    • if a client needs another 100MB before midnight, it is a $5 top up
    This is triggered by your first call (sent/received), sent text or data.

Customers can top up as many times as they want.

The add on expires at midnight

What do you think? Reasonable?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Got word of some details:

This is triggered by your first call (sent/received), sent text or data.

Customers can top up as many times as they want.

The add on expires at midnight

What do you think? Reasonable?
    Honestly, I don't like it. It expires at midnight oppose to Rogers and TELUS which is 24 hours. Also, it only includes 100MB of data. How is this competitive if you can get more with the other carriers for around the same price?

Feedback Score

Bell to Launch New US Roaming Plan (Roam like Home... Kinda)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Honestly, I don't like it. It expires at midnight oppose to Rogers and TELUS which is 24 hours. Also, it only includes 100MB of data. How is this competitive if you can get more with the other carriers for around the same price?
    Wait... Rogers and Telus are 24 hours? So if I start using my phone at noon on day 1, I have until noon on day 2? I know Roam Mobility works that way, but I hadn't understood that Roam Like Home and Easy Roam worked that way. I'm going to check the terms and conditions because that's more generous than I'm used to from those two.

As for Bell's offer... if it's really $5/day, includes 100MB, and especially if that 100MB isn't deducted from your Canadian data bucket, that's a surprisingly competitive offer. You compare it to Roam Mobility and you're paying $1.05 more per day, and you're getting 75% less data, but you have the convenience of a single number, you're possibly saved the expense of unlocking your device, you aren't using up your data bucket, and you get access to AT&T coverage. If you're planning to use a lot of data, then Roam Mobility and/or RLH beats the pants off of it. However, if you're a light data user (just email and IM), you want/need the convenience of a single number and SIM solution, then it's a reasonable offer. For those people who either need AT&T coverage, or want/need a single SIM, and have abundant WiFi where they're going, it could be really great. Those are the pros that I readily see.

On the con side, if you mostly need email, SMS, and instant messaging (no voice, and no high-speed data) you could get that from Roam Mobility for as little as $1.95 a day. The AT&T coverage advantage is dramatically reducing as T-Mobile rolls out low-band LTE (just make sure you have a device that supports band 12). And paying more to only get 100MB means you really have to not need a lot of mobile data over your trip, and really value the single SIM/single number solution (which some people do) and/or travel so infrequently that paying $50 to unlock your device is really unappealing.

The suggestion of being able to "top up as many times as [you] want" suggests to me that Bell wants you to pay an extra $5 each day anytime you need to add another 100MB. If so, all I can say is "ick".

I wonder if this maxes out at $50 like Roam Like Home, or at $100 as mandated by Industry Canada? Whenever it maxes out at, does it keep working at no extra cost during the same billing cycle or does it stop working? And is long distance back to Canada included, like with the other options mentioned? The devil's in the details.

Whatever the case, this is a big improvement for short trips over what they've offered in the past.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    Sigh.... Sick of switching SIMs when I go to the USA.
    I was too. So I got a dual-SIM phone. Problem solved. It allows me to receive calls and SMSs on my Canadian SIM to see who's calling and to read their texts, and it's at no roaming cost for that SIM so long as I do all my responses on the other SIM (Roam Mobility generally). As long as you pay attention to what SIM you're using at any one time, and don't initiate conditional call forwarding, it's absolutely awesome. My last two trips I switched back and forth between Roam Mobility and Roam Like Home day by day, depending on where I was and what I was doing. On high data days, generally Roam Mobility. On days spent in the boonies where T-Mobile coverage was a question mark, generally Roam Like Home. I recommend it strongly. If your preferred device isn't available in a dual-SIM option, then consider a dedicated dual-SIM phone for roaming purposes (which you can keep for the next trip, or sell afterwards, or what have you). We're starting to see some flagships come in dual-SIM options now (recent examples are the Lumia 950 and 950 XL).

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Calls and Texts back to Canada will be included.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    This is WAY better than the status quo and brings back my faith in oligopolies. One major player can't be TOO far from the competition in terms of services. Roam like Home still sounds like the best deal for the non-SIM switchers but this will probably be good enough for most. I'm traveling in the US right now and having access to both T-Mobile and AT&T networks trumps the cheaper Roam Mobility and Know Roaming offerings. The T-Mo network is vastly improved but on Automatic my iPhone 6S Plus has spent about 2/3 of the time on AT&T and 1/3 on T-Mo in Phoenix and environs.

Some of us need to keep our Canadian numbers while traveling. I'm on holidays but I still get calls and texts from work/clients so SIM switching doesn't really work for me (although I've done it a lot in the past with great results). As far as the 100MB of data I suspect that Bell has studied the average amount of data their clients consume roaming and have found that this amount would capture a large percentage of them. I've been following my data use while down here and have been averaging about 50-75MB per day for email, light surfing, sending photos and such. Then again there's free wifi at the hotel so my heavier data use is coming through that.

All in all I suspect this to be a sufficient offering to keep Bell in the game.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Is there any release date on this? I agree that 100MB isn't that much, but it is enough to last "a day" just popping over for some shopping or night away. As soon as that first phone call comes in, the plan pretty much pays for itself.

So how is it triggered? Is there confirmation on how it works, and when it kicks in? Like it stays "off" until that first call/text is made or the data is turned on?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast