Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How long before sprint copies or tries to 1-up tmobiles uncarrier X?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

How long before sprint copies or tries to 1-up tmobiles uncarrier X?

We all know sprint likes to copy tmobiles uncarrier offerings. John mentioned it today and it was actually funny. Sprint will try to spin tmobiles new plans into something sprint can counter.

I say by tomorrow sprint will try to offer similar plans
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think they'll come up with a family plan that offers more (shared) data than a comparably priced T-Mobile plan by using bait and switch tactics... such as waiving the $20/line access fees for X amount of months, but only if you trade in your old smartphone and lease or finance a new device from them. Then they'll hope you'll hit data overages.

In my experience they already optimize mobile video, and offering free video streaming would just put more load on the network and hurt their chances of charging overages. They're still trying to become profitable as it is.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Why is this in a Sprint forum instead of in the T-Mobile forum?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Why is this in a Sprint forum instead of in the T-Mobile forum?
    Because sprint always directly competes with tmobile

Feedback Score
    Why Sprint wants to copy something that wants to F the Internet anyways

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9...em-john-legere

Device(s)
    iPhone6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

How long before sprint copies or tries to 1-up tmobiles uncarrier X?

I don't see how any carrier can turn their head to this. The Verge was right, T-Mobile has too much power now. The biggest reason people have unlimited data has just been "whitelisted" and doesn't count against their data! With North American Roaming, Music Freedom, VoLTE, VoWifi and the benefit to seamlessly transfer from wifi to LTE, Video Binge, Buy out ETFs, No access fees, and competing data plans T-Mobile is far ahead the other three. If you live in a T-Mobile area then I don't see how you can't go with them. Personal I'm staying right here with Sprint, with my cheap iPhone Plan for $50 and my iPhone for $22 and calling it a day. T-Mobile couldn't beat that!
    TheTechKing

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC_33 View Post
    Why Sprint wants to copy something that wants to F the Internet anyways

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9...em-john-legere
    That Verge article and it's title just shows how poor quality the Verge have become. Very low media quality.

Besides that, what TMO did was to encourage people not to use high bandwidth video. That is the main item that most people are missing.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJoe View Post
    That Verge article and it's title just shows how poor quality the Verge have become. Very low media quality.

Besides that, what TMO did was to encourage people not to use high bandwidth video. That is the main item that most people are missing.

the verge made an excellent point:

tmobile zero rate is bs..

what if many of my vids are from TED? - https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability

or my music is streamed from somaFM? - https://somafm.com/groovesalad/

or wtop? - http://wtop.com/listen-live/

i'd rather an unmolested full rate lte connection that let's me pick & choose for myself, what i stream, no matter from where, & it doesn't alter my rate plan, it'll be all the same..
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think people will wait to see if this adversely effects the network. I also think Uncarrier just "Jumped the Shark".
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Feedback Score
    I am not touting the verge as quality media, but I 100% for sure agree with this article. Of course it is wonderful for t-mobile subscribers and the company, people love something for nothing.
    However the principle of net neutrality is critical to the future of the Internet and zero rating poisons the well. There should be *no* discrimination positive or negative based on the *source* of the data stream.

If the mechanism uses deep packet inspection and does zero rating based on the type of media being streamed, then fair enough that is fine - my FLAC or MKV collection streaming on my commute to my phone from my home nas or private cloud server should get exactly the same treatment as Apple or some brand new entrant into the competitive industry.

That is the only style of zero rating that would preserve the principles of net neutrality.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    I like that TMO gives you the option and is telling you that the video speeds are reduced.
    Sprint re-encodes the videos and images, reduces their quality and I have no control of this, other than using a vpn.
    Cricket is at least re-encoding and reducing image quality, not sure about video. But their proxy increases the latency on all web actions.

With Sprint/Cricket changing the data and not telling people very clearly, are they guilty too?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    the principle of net neutrality is critical to the future of the Internet and zero rating poisons the well.
    https://reason.com/archives/2015/04/08/nothing-but-net

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    What I mentioned in the T-Mobile forums is that I really think that this is Magenta's way of traffic shaping. They have lots of UDP users and because the Binge-On feature is turned ON by default T-Mobile gets to offer video but at a reduced network load. As a T-Mobile user you will actually have to turn the feature OFF if you want to stream at higher quality and the only way UDP users get a free movie rental as promised it to leave the feature ON.

Supposedly there is no application prioritization or any money changing hands.

I do watch video on my mobile from time to time but it's always in fits and starts. You'll never catch me watching a 2.5 hour movie on my iPhone.

We'll have to see how this turns out from a network load and whether Sprint, AT&T or Verizon will follow.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I think they'll come up with a family plan that offers more (shared) data than a comparably priced T-Mobile plan by using bait and switch tactics... such as waiving the $20/line access fees for X amount of months, but only if you trade in your old smartphone and lease or finance a new device from them. Then they'll hope you'll hit data overages.

In my experience they already optimize mobile video, and offering free video streaming would just put more load on the network and hurt their chances of charging overages. They're still trying to become profitable as it is.
    But their new plans don't have overages: https://www.sprint.com/shop/plan-wal...lan=individual
    Thrill me...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    my FLAC or MKV collection streaming on my commute to my phone from my home nas or private cloud server should get exactly the same treatment as Apple or some brand new entrant into the competitive industry.

That is the only style of zero rating that would preserve the principles of net neutrality.
    Maybe your FLAC and MKV connection will get the same treatment one day soon. Whose to say they won't open it up. You may have to convert your content to 2.65 or another codec but who knows.

The only issue I can see with T-Mobile opening this up for individual use is they can't be comlpicit in the streaming of illegal content. I imagine all the streaming sites guarantee they have the rights to what they play. If your personal NAS can allow you and others to login and access your content through their tools could they be held liable if something doesn't add up?

Sprint Kickstart until the apocalypse!

- Z2 Force / Pixel 3
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast