Thread: Moving Telus to Virgin, how is coverage in rural BC, fringe reception areas?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Moving Telus to Virgin, how is coverage in rural BC, fringe reception areas?

Hi,
    Virgin would save me some money if I switched from Telus. My understanding is Virgin is a subsidiary of Bell and Bell uses Telus towers and equipment in western Canada. Am I correct to think that I'd get the same coverage and network speeds on Virgin as on Telus?

I'm most concerned about rural areas in BC, northern Vancouver Island, Port Hardy and area. Telus serves me well there. However if Virgin offers the same coverage and network speeds then I can save some money.

Virgin plan (current to Nov 20, 2015)
    $49 1 GB data, unlimited minutes nationwide. + $5 for new sim card

Telus old Student plan
    $55 1 GB, 150 minutes plus some loyalty benefits that I would get in the Virgin plan anyways

Changing phone numbers not an issue.

I'd be interested in hearing your Virgin mobile experience compared to Telus in fringe areas in BC, anywhere in BC.

thanks for any advice

Device(s)
    S4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It will be the same coverage and similar speed. You should probably contact Telus before you port out and ask them to beat or at least match the Virgin plan. They probably won't but you should try and you have nothing to lose by asking.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi f14sure, good to know the coverage will be the same. I've contacted Telus off and on for the past few years. When my 3 year contract ended I thought I'd get a discount as my phone was paid off, but no byod discount, I've been paying the same for the past 2-3 years month to month as when I was on contract. Telus says I need to change to a more expensive plan to get a discount and in the end I'd pay more after the discount. So I'm trying a month on Virgin to test coverage and service, I still have the Telus account open.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Update a year later. I'm still on Virgin and have dropped Telus after being with them since the late 1990's. No difference in coverage, Virgin works the same as Telus in the rural areas I travel to in BC. I snagged a deal and got 1 GB bonus so have 2GB plus talk plus text for $49. Funny, Telus wasn't interested in any loyalty offers to keep my business.